D&D 5E Fixing the shield

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
One of the issues I had hoped Next would address is how D&D represents shields mechanically. Unfortunately, the current ruleset maintains the status quo. There are two shields in the game. One gives +2 to AC, the other gives +1 (and is given the name "buckler").

I have two issues with this, along with suggestions:

1. The buckler was traditionally used as a weapon. It should be a Light bludgeoning weapon, dealing 1d4 damage. This will allow it to be used in two weapon fighting, and differentiate it from the shield/make it something other than a slightly cheaper, half as effective shield.
2. The shield should give Cover instead of +2 AC. This will allow it to fulfill an iconic role from decades of fantasy art and literature: that of a knight hunkering down behind his shield as dragon fire blasts it. Giving cover further differentiates it from the buckler. It also allows the bearer of the shield to take a position in front of his allies, and shield those allies from arrows or spell fire by granting cover. Again: an iconic image.

These changes add to the game by giving non casters an interesting choice when it comes to shields: choose the defensive weapon (buckler), or the tool for battlefield protection (shield). The changes fulfill player desire to act out fantasy (Spartans from 300, the prince vs. Maleficent, Galen vs. Vermithrax).

Anyone else have a problem with shields?

Derren

Hero
I agree that shields in D&D are too weak compared to their real life usefulness. Problem is that they have to be balanced with two handed weapons and that D&D combat is so simple that its impossible to tweak them in a way to make them more realistic.

But I do not think that a normal shield should give cover. A tower shield, certainly but not a kite/round shield.

Warbringer

Explorer
Agreed.

IMC you use AC to dodge or parry*. A successful dodge no damage, a successful parry you roll damage against the attack and reduce the attack by that much. Miss (failed parry) still hits for full damage. Shields add up to 3d6 to the parry roll. Shields can also be used to reduce AOE damage in this defensive mode.

----
*Parry is AC + STR; Also, you can't parry a creature more than one size weapon bigger than yours, or a monster of more than one size category bigger.

Remove ads