• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forbidden message board buzz words of 2004

Darrin Drader

Explorer
DC Stupid
Lawful weird
inishnivit (initiative)
Doubts (instead of questions)
Incorrect use of their, there and they're
Once again, for those who missed it the first time:
their = possessive form of they.
there = a place
they're = they are

MrFilthyIke

First Post
The end of people correcting everyone else's grammer? :p

I'm from Miami, English is not a first language here. Sometimes
you must give us a chance to translate. If it doesn't sound
like it is from The Fast and the Furious then it may
take a local a while to understand.

;)

clark411

First Post
I'll have to vote for a phrase, rather than a word

"In [my homebrew setting]..."

and I'll have to put it in a specific context as well: setting pimpers. You know, the posts that are about XYZ, and in comes the poster who made a pdf, or is self-publishing, or is just generally overly enthused with the products of his own imagination that pitches "In [setting], XYZ is handled like this!" repeatedly in numerous posts that aren't looking for thinly veiled advertisements, but rather suggestions.

I vote to leave those in 2003. I mean, its fine to be helpful and all, but the "buy my book! Read my Website! Give me click throughs!" undertone that I'm beginning to find a lot of just ... gets my heckles in a tiff. Woe to those who tuffle my heckles.

And versimmilliitude as well, as suggested before.

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
Grammar.

Please note that the letter "a" appears twice. The letter "E" does not.

Also, Malk, I do agree that English has evolved along several different paths. I just want to return to the British English path before I get too corrupted by Merriam-Webster's great curse on the western world.

My real vote is for the following:

- discussions about FR and Greyhawk are not allowed to degenerate into the infantile blatherings of unemployable nebbishes; and
- the are to be no arguments about WotC's pricing each time there is a new release (if you can't afford it, don't buy it, and anyway it's hardly likely that you will NEED it).

OK, so these are not words but these are two things I would really like to see banned from the messageboards. Alternatively, perhaps a separate forum could be established for such, um, arguments.

Derulbaskul said:
Also, Malk, I do agree that English has evolved along several different paths. I just want to return to the British English path before I get too corrupted by Merriam-Webster's great curse on the western world.
But the British were Celtic and before the invasion of the English, spoke a variety of vulgar Latin.

Me, I'd like to see a return to Old English. It's the invasion of the Normans with their accursed French that have screwed up the English language, not the branching off of the North American colonials.

:p

Ian the Mad

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
Me, I'd like to see a return to Old English. It's the invasion of the Normans with their accursed French that have screwed up the English language, not the branching off of the North American colonials.

Bah! The Vikings and their silly Old Norse, and those bloody priests and their Latin screwed up perfectly good Germanic! This Old English nonsense is just a silly corruption.

Remove ads