D&D General "Forever DM" - choice or lack of alternatives?

If you are a Forever DM, is it thought preferece to run over play or though lack of other DMs?

• I prefer to strongly prefer to run over playing, so I forever get to be the DM.

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • I would like to play as well, but I'm the only (available/reasonable/etc) DM so I am forever DMing

Votes: 24 50.0%
  • Both, I prefer to DM over playing, and I'm the only DM around.

Votes: 9 18.8%

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
This just came up in another thread. Often when I see people talk about being a Forever DM, it's often bemoaning that they don't get a chance to play. But the alternative is that peopel are Forever DMs because they prefer DMing more.

So, if you describe yourself as a Forever DM, is it because you prefer to DM exclusively or is it because there are no other DMs and you step up for the group?

Of you aren't a Forever DM, please don't put in a "I think it's this way" or "that way" - that's already where we are, and I'm trying to poll just those Forever DMs to see what their reality is. I'm not going to vote in my own poll, because I'm not a Forever DM.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I would absolutely, positively love to play, if I could find anyone willing to run 4e, 13A, or SR5e. But I've looked for years and found almost nothing--and whatever I did find fell through soon after it got started.

People ask why I push to get my interests recognized in other games. It's because I tried to play the games I like. It didn't work.

CP40Carl

Villager
I’m a Forever DM. Started in 1980 and still DM a session every week. Love it! Tried as a player many years ago and, whilst fun, just didn’t enjoy it anywhere near as much.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I'm probably a 50/50 DM player now that I have a friend that also runs games. I quite like running games but do enjoy playing as well. Having said that though, I have bowed out of the campaign I was playing in. Wanted to get my Sundays back and after completing a large story arc I felt like it was a good time to do so.

Reynard

Legend
I GM because I want to. I really, honestly enjoy it, even if sometimes it (and players) drives me a little nuts. I can enjoy a game as a player, but even if I do I am still constantly wishing I was running the game instead. I try not to backseat GM, though -- but I am probably not always successful.

Xamnam

Loves Your Favorite Game
My ratio of games played in to games run is about 1-3, but of the games I run, I know no one else would want to take up the mantle, so the moniker feels reasonably appropriate. Which is fine, because I feel so much more confident, and have more fun, being on the small side of the table.

I prefer to GM over play. I would occasionally like the opportunity to play, if only to get a break from the GM chair. I am the only reliable GM in my group.

I would love to have the opportunity to be a player in a long term game. It hasn't happened since I was just out of high-school in my early 20's; some 25 years ago. That's a long time to not really ever get the chance to play more than three sessions in a row.

Remove ads