D&D General "Forever DM" - choice or lack of alternatives?

If you are a Forever DM, is it thought preferece to run over play or though lack of other DMs?

• I prefer to strongly prefer to run over playing, so I forever get to be the DM.

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • I would like to play as well, but I'm the only (available/reasonable/etc) DM so I am forever DMing

Votes: 24 50.0%
  • Both, I prefer to DM over playing, and I'm the only DM around.

Votes: 9 18.8%

Zardnaar

Legend
I prefer to GM over play. I would occasionally like the opportunity to play, if only to get a break from the GM chair. I am the only reliable GM in my group.

I would love to have the opportunity to be a player in a long term game. It hasn't happened since I was just out of high-school in my early 20's; some 25 years ago. That's a long time to not really ever get the chance to play more than three sessions in a row.

Yeah if im lucky I'll get to level 5 or 6.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I would love to have the opportunity to be a player in a long term game. It hasn't happened since I was just out of high-school in my early 20's; some 25 years ago.
Yeah, me too. My experience is a mix of different things. GM burn out on system, player burn out on campaign, and real life matters.

Reynard

Legend
I prefer to GM over play. I would occasionally like the opportunity to play, if only to get a break from the GM chair. I am the only reliable GM in my group.

I would love to have the opportunity to be a player in a long term game. It hasn't happened since I was just out of high-school in my early 20's; some 25 years ago. That's a long time to not really ever get the chance to play more than three sessions in a row.
There should be a support group for GenXers that miss very long term campaign play...

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
There should be a support group for GenXers that miss very long term campaign play...

The Breakfast Club GIF by IFC

Ondath

Hero
I'm both. I did end up being a player in a few campaigns, but I'm a control freak and I actually like designing the world and the plotlines (as well as controlling multiple NPCs) over playing one character.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
For in-person play, I'm the only one in my social circles willing to run games regularly, so I'm the forever GM of that group.

Luckily, the covid era growth of online play broadened the social circles I can effectively play with, so I have online games now as well.

General_Tangent

Adventurer
I've been the forever GM since 1989 or so and there have been a few occasions when I would have liked to play with the group I had back then I always found myself on the receiving end of stuff I wasn't really happy with.

Remove ads