• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forked Thread: 3.5 Discounts (FREE TOOLBOX)

Ghostwind

First Post
Well I know I certainly could make use of both a copy of Toolbox and WLD, especially in combination with each other. That would really spice up life in WLD, especially since there are no bathrooms in WLD. :)

Mark Hope

Adventurer
...especially since there are no bathrooms in WLD. :)

In that case, here's a suggestion for a cool cross-over list:
Different types of toilet! Is it a chamber pot? A fancy piece of dwarven engineering complete with vacuum-powered waste removal? A fine construction of elven porcelain? A crude goblin pooper, little more than a hole in the ground? Or a mutated killer mimic that merely pretends to be a toilet and waits for you to fatally lower your AC? Oh, wait, that last one has been done already... :D

DM_Jeff

Explorer
I have a question. When Dawn and I first envisioned Toolbox, we thought it would be statless. Only after careful direction and prodding did we then fill it with stat blocks and monster lists.

Out of the four general chapters in Toolbox: Wilderness, Dungeons, DCities, and People, which one did you find yourself using the most?

And, did you use the stats and monster charts or just the creative lists with no mechanics?

-DM Jeff

Mark Hope

Adventurer
I use the Cities section far more than the others, followed by the section on People, both in prep and at the table. Wilderness and Dungeon do get use as well, but not as often.

I don't really use the stats, though, mainly because they are 3.0, and I was running 3.5 and am now running a house-ruled version of Pathfinder. The encounter tables for people (as opposed to monsters) however, have seen use as they are good inspiration anyway. The Mother of All Encounter Tables has since covered that ground fairly well, I think, so if you were to do a similar product again, it might be a good idea to make sure any encounter charts really stand out from more generic lists.

A set of stats for all the members of a city watch, temple, magical academy, merchant caravan, thieves' guild etc would be useful, for example - stock fantasy elements that are a real pain to draw up for DMs, yet are more than just simple lists of encounters by CR. The DMG II had some cool stat blocks in this vein, but there is plenty of room to develop the concept into plug-and-play collections that can slot right into a campaign.

Treebore

First Post
I primarily use your City, Dungeons, and peoples chapter, and I kind of use the stats because its easy to do so with Castles and Crusades.

DM_Jeff

Explorer
This is a great book. I used it last night. For a Call of Cthulhu game of all systems!

That's really cool. When first writing it, it became aparent that while we were writing from a D&D mindset, we also pulled from all sorts of fantasy resoruces to be sure it could be used in whichever edition, or even which fantasy game (Gurps, Warhammer, Earthdawn) you were using.

To know it helped a Cthulhu game too is great to hear!

-DM Jeff

jim pinto

First Post
That's really cool. When first writing it, it became aparent that while we were writing from a D&D mindset, we also pulled from all sorts of fantasy resoruces to be sure it could be used in whichever edition, or even which fantasy game (Gurps, Warhammer, Earthdawn) you were using.

To know it helped a Cthulhu game too is great to hear!

-DM Jeff

Hey. Jeff. I don't like fantasy at all. Can you make some charts for real world names. I'm tired of the phone book.

:)

I'll be in San Luis Obispo this weekend at a convention. Anyone that comes to the show and says "Jeff smells" will get a free copy of the Toolbox.

DM_Jeff

Explorer
And the first person to write "jim is an 8-year old psycho pixie" here at En World will ALSO get a copy...but signed. HA.

-DM Jeff

Remove ads