Unearthed Arcana Four New Elf Subraces in Unearthed Arcana

This month's Unearthed Arcana article gives us four new elf subraces to playtest. "After the positive response to the eladrin a couple of months ago in Unearthed Arcana, we decided to explore four more elf subraces: avariel (winged elves), grugach (the wild elves of Greyhawk), sea elves, and shadar-kai (deathly servants of the Raven Queen)."

This month's Unearthed Arcana article gives us four new elf subraces to playtest. "After the positive response to the eladrin a couple of months ago in Unearthed Arcana, we decided to explore four more elf subraces: avariel (winged elves), grugach (the wild elves of Greyhawk), sea elves, and shadar-kai (deathly servants of the Raven Queen)."

Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 00.22.33.png

schnee

First Post
Any reason we get race after race and sub-race after sub-race of elves dwarves and halflings but we only get one race of humans? Why don't we get different races of humans in 5e?

Hey, start assigning skin colors and external features to inherent personality traits, athleticism, intelligence, capability for civilized behavior, etc. and let me know how that goes for you.

:heh:

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
So, if they're going to split grugach off of wood elves (*sigh*), are they going to do the same for grey elves and valley elves from high elves? Because moar elves, right?

Lylandra

Adventurer
Hey, start assigning skin colors and external features to inherent personality traits, athleticism, intelligence, capability for civilized behavior, etc. and let me know how that goes for you.

:heh:

somehow this is acceptable for elves... but I totally understand the problem.

So maybe for humans don't change ability scores, but rather alter purely physical traits like heat/cold resistance, wings, being part undead, being an aquatic race (with Aquaman being a thing, one could have easily come up with an aquatic human race)

As much as I like elven subraces, I don't like the fact that only elves are the ones who need a subrace for every little schtick just because elves are so widespread in folklore and literature.
And "humans are ALWAYS and ONLY jack of all trades" seems a bit lame... (and yes, i'd totally play a winged human. Or orc.)

Horwath

Legend
As already mentioned Grugach Elf should have +2 str and +2 dex.

They are both weapon attack stats and most of the time they are in primary-dump combo.

As they represent wild elves from FR, +2 str and +2 dex best plays to barbarian and maybe ranger class. Most frequvent among wild elves.

schnee

First Post
somehow this is acceptable for elves...

Maybe it isn't. Go ask them and see if they like being categorized. :heh:

but I totally understand the problem.

So maybe for humans don't change ability scores, but rather alter purely physical traits like heat/cold resistance, wings, being part undead, being an aquatic race (with Aquaman being a thing, one could have easily come up with an aquatic human race)

Those aren't human any more.

Yaarel

He Mage
The best mechanization of the Elf concept in D&D 5e, is the Half Elf Variant in Sword Coast Adventurers Guide.

+2 Charisma score
+1 any two other scores

Then a choice of
• Two Skills
• Speed +5
• Cantrip

This is already a decent Elf concept, and a solid way to build your own Elf the way you yourself think the Elf should be.

This Elf is already better that all twelve kinds of Elf that exist in 5e so far.

If I could go further and swap out Darkvision, and choose both Two Skills and a Cantrip, even better. Add a few more (appealing, equally powerful) Elf traits to choose from, then even better.

Yaarel

He Mage
It would be even better to stat the Elf as:

+2 Any Score
Choice of 5 Major Elf Traits
1 Default Language

(Major Trait ≈ ½Feat = +1 to Any Other Ability Score)
(2 Major Traits = 1 Elf Feat = +2 Any Other Ability Score)
(1 Major Trait = 2 Minor Traits)
(Choosing a Handicap gains 1 Minor Trait)

Meanwhile have a list of typical Elf cultures.

Drow Culture (Typically)
Dexterity minimum 15
Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma minimum 11
Feat:
• Superior Darkvision 120
• Magic Resistance
Major Trait:
• Faerie Fire (per long rest) and Darkness (per long rest)
• Dancing Lights Cantrip
• Dispel Magic (per long rest)
• Dweomer (Detect Magic at will)
• Levitation (per rest)
Minor Trait:
• Skill: Arcana, Stealth, Perception, Intimidation (credible threat: magic, sneak attack)
• Combat Proficiency: Handbow, Finesse Sword, Chain Armor
• Tool Proficiency: Poisoner
• Language: Drow, Elven, Undercommon, Common, Abyssal
Handicap: Sunlight Sensitivity (Perception and attack disadvantage when in bright light)

Wood Culture (Typically)
Dexterity and Wisdom minimum 13
Major Trait:
• Speed +5
• Elven Accuracy (reroll d20 when Dexterity attack has advantage; or Wis, Int, or Cha)
• Darkvision 60
• Longstrider (per long rest) and Pass Without Trace (per long rest)
• Druid Cantrip
• Twilight (Perception advantage in dim light)
Minor Trait:
• Mask of Wild (Hide in dim light in natural terrain)
• Trance (cannot be put to sleep, per 24 hours treat 4 hours light activity as long rest)
• Enchantment Resistance
• Skill: Perception, Stealth, Nature
• Combat Proficiency: Longbow
• Tool Proficiency: Herbalist, Woodcarver, Musician, Leatherworker
• Language: Elven, Common

High Culture (Typically)
Intelligence and Charisma minimum 13
Dexterity minimum 11
Feat:
• Magic Resistance
Major Trait:
• Wizard Cantrip
• Comeliness (Persuasion advantage when in sight)
• Fey Teleport (Misty Step per rest)
• Dweomer (Detect Magic at will)
Minor Trait:
• Trance
• Enchantment Resistance
• Skill: Arcana, Persuasion, History, Performance
• Combat Proficiency: Chain Armor, Elf Magic (self as spellcasting focus)
• Tool Proficiency: Smith, Weaver, Calligrapher, Musician
• Language: Elven, Sylvan, Common

Grugach Culture (Typically)
Strength minimum 15
Dexterity minimum 13
Major Trait:
• Darkvision 60
• Pounce (Athletics and Acrobatics advantage in no or light armor)
• Druid Cantrip
Minor Trait:
• Trance
• Enchantment Resistance
• Skill: Athletics with Acrobatics, Stealth, Nature, Animal Handling, Survival
• Combat Proficiency: Spear
• Tool Proficiency: Poisoner, Trapper (Pit, Snare)
• Language: Sylvan, Beast Telepathy

And so on. Something like that.

Players can pick and choose whichever traits they want, regardless of whether it is typical or atypical. But the fuller descriptions of the diverse Elf cultures give a narrative context for what these choices of traits imply.

A DM can easily customize their own Elf culture for their setting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lylandra

Adventurer
Maybe it isn't. Go ask them and see if they like being categorized. :heh:

Those aren't human any more.
:D
Still a strange double standard that what is a human must remain pristinely the same and what is an elf can vary from wood-dwelling hobo to ang- I mean, bird-elf to Little Mermaid minus fishtail to Galadriel.

Remove ads

Remove ads