• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Free Will and Story

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
Given Majoru Oakheart's characterization of him laughing it off in the end, probably not as badly as with Jim's presence.
Yeah, I still want to talk to him about it. Haven't really had time to speak to him this week. I'd like to know his actual thoughts on the issue.
Man, given all the stuff he's said about Jim, I'd consider getting the hell out of that situation if I were Majoru Oakheart. I wouldn't put up with someone frequently deadpanning he was going to kill me even if I knew he was joking, and I'm certainly not going to put up with it if the person saying it has mental health issues.
Yeah, it's....weird. I admit it. If I hadn't been friends with him for so long, it might phase me. I know some other people have asked me "Wow...it doesn't bother you that he threatens to kill you in your sleep?" I always answer "Meh, not really, it's Jim."

I actually had a mutual friend of our looking for a place to stay. I offered a spare room in my house. He originally agreed as long as I paid to get a lock put onto the door of the room because he was a little worried about living in a house with Jim. Then he found another offer from a different friend and took that one instead. I'm really beginning to think Jim made the difference in his decision.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
What else do we know about the player? He's easygoing (he games with Jim - I'd probably have walked by now). And he was pissed off enough that Jim's ideas fell on fertile ground.
Allow me to enlighten you slightly. Broof(his character name) complains about everything in real life. We go to movies with him just to see how MUCH he'll hate a movie, not to see whether he'll like it. We have a theory that he just likes to be miserable. Though, he likes going to see movies...he just hates the movies.

The whole campaign he was annoyed at nearly every NPC we met. He thought the Heron King was an idiot for not listening to us about the fact that his general was a demon. He made fun of the Heron King for having a stupid name and dressing in bird feathers. I believe either he or Jim started the joke that since the Heron King was an Elf and rather feminine in appearance that he was actually a woman and was lying to everyone. So, they both started calling him a woman to his face....while we were under the influence of neck rings that repressed all magic and we were all in chains. The DM decided it was better NOT to kill 2 out of the 5 party members for insolence.

He complained about the NPC cleric who was the church's representative aboard our airship(the one the church loaned us) because he didn't agree with us once. Then it became a reoccurring joke to put him down on a regular basis.

Broof(and Vance, the character he played before Broof) liked to point out that he hated nearly every NPC he met(mostly out of character, he'd point out that Broof didn't like him and is barely tolerating having him around...just so we all knew what his character motivation was, even though Broof rarely spoke).

He thought Allupion was a jerk and hated him and didn't care if his character died as long as Allupion got was coming to him since Allupion kept showing up just to taunt us.

Basically, Broof was willing to hate anyone at the drop of a hat if they did absolutely anything bad to us. So, it wasn't a huge surprise that when his god accidentally killed him that he'd go overboard and pull a "I hate my god now. In fact, I hate ALL gods now. I'm going to start an Anti-god cult."

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Sounds like a shtick to me. Could be entertaining, but also tedious if all of his characters are like that.

LostSoul

Adventurer
Guidelines for creating a god, where are those located again?? In all seriousness I don't think there are guidelines for creating a god in 4e. I guess you could look at some examples but even then they aren't all the same level or do the same amount of damage with an attack or are even the same role... so again what criteria does 4e give for making a god??

There's an implicit assumption (made by the monster manuals) that you create a god by making it a level 30+ solo.

Perhaps. Though what you consider "suffering", I consider mild discomfort and sometimes mild amusement over his constant grumbling about people to the point of absurdity. He's told me how if he was in charge, he'd hold a lottery to kill off 80-90% of the population to get rid of the majority of people so he didn't have to worry about being around them all the time.

Then again, his schizophrenia manifests itself as paranoia most of the time. He constantly thinks people are staring at him and out to get him. Or at least he does when he isn't on medication. I suspect, however, that the medication doesn't remove these feelings entirely, just lowers their intensity to the point where he feels that people are out to get him in small ways....like a DM ruling against him in a game.

I've gotten used to listening to his grumbling, laughing at it and moving on.

I well understand your affinity for your friend, your protection of him, and can appreciate your noble loyalty to him; it is a credit to you. I've known and cared for multiple people with mood disorders (some drug-addiction induced) and mental disorders (including schizophrenics) and count many of the known in my intimate inner circle and family. I know better than most what it is like to deal with them daily and have their issues/behaviors/conditions as an albatross around the neck. I wouldn't debate you on the merits or demerits of having this Jim specifically in your life or at your gaming table. You get to figure that out. But generally, "Jims" thrust specific dynamics onto play at the table and as they have been introduced, they are open for discussion.

At the risk of adding to the edition warring, I'd like to say that despite my love of 4e, it does have some issues. Jim isn't the only one with that mindset towards the game.

<snip several examples>

It's been my experience that when rules oriented players get a hold of 4e's rules, they tend to abuse them.

Though, the damage they can wrought in 4e is completely insignificant compared to what those same players did in my 3.5e game.

While I understand your position here, you're talking about something orthogonal to what I was citing; eg the use of someone with willful, belligerently destructive behavior (who self-professes social dysfunction, such as intentional game fun disruption as a goal because they themselves aren't having fun, and wears it as a badge of honor) as Evidence A that a ruleset is causal for a cited, insidious cultural problem.

Looking under the hood of a system with complex PC build rules, it is easy to see that they (any of them) would attract "puzzle-breakers" and "tinkerers/engineers" who like to create power-gaming monstrosities out of the complex synergies of the various (non-discrete) resources to see if they can create something powerful enough to "break the game." That is in their nature. If you give them a challenge that involves building something or taking something apart and putting it back together (especially if the challenge involves it being better than before), they revel in it. The only way you avoid this is by (A) making all PC build tools extraordinarily limited and/or shallow, (B) making all PC build tools utterly discrete and non-stackable such that the siloing removes all possibility for 2nd and 3rd order synergies, (C) canvassing it clearly that you are playing a socially cooperative game and thematic archetype is paramount (and utterly power-gamed monstrosities, eg movement rate of 200 and a trail of 5 OG fire at your feet, are forbidden). Most people don't want A. 4e does as much of B as possible (non-discrete feats and their interactions are the problem). C is easily enough done with a group of mature people who are actually playing for the sake of the fun of the whole. Again, if you have people at your table who "just want to watch the world burn" or people who just consider the game an opportunity for playing Calvinball or uber narcissists bent on unleashing their social dysfunction in a contained playground (such that it won't spill over into the real world), then you have much bigger problems than any ruleset. You better have an assertive, alpha dog leader who can hem them in, or outright castrate them, or you can forget about a fun, rewarding, cooperative gaming experience.

There is exclusive territory carved out between enable and promote. What's more, the fact that it enables while not promoting just clearly puts the ball in our court and expects us to put our big boy pants on. I'm a "buyer beware" guy. If we fail to put our big boy pants on (eg we don't make clear our collective table expectations and then enforce them or excise problem children), then that is on us. 4e makes it extremely difficult to create an unbalanced monstrosity. You don't pick a class that says "wizard" or "druid" on the tin and the game goes wobbly merely be the pressing of that button. You have to work the system, and hard (to create something such as the monstrosities above). Anyone doing so is willfully working against the system to break it and would be willfully working against an explicit, social compact to not do so (which should be implicit...don't willfully work hard to "break stuff" or "don't ruin everyone's fun" is something that should be learned early on or you're going to have some problems normalizing to societal standards). If they grumble and work to sow misery at the table thereafter (because they can't play their willful, destructive Calvinball in a cooperative RPG game), the decision to excise them is one that should not come as a surprise to them.

And we move onto the Encounter building "guidelines". There is nowhere in any rulebook that says you must adhere to some specific format. There is advice on what perturbing the system may create for pacing and expectant difficulty. That is it.

- DMG1 pages 56-57 talk about Spending your XP Budget and what standard (n-2), easy (n to n+1), hard (n+2 to n+4), and deadly (n+5 and beyond). It goes on to talk about monsters below (PC level) n-4 being too easy while n+7 being too difficult and both being problematic for the basic Attack vs Defense math.

- DMG1 pages 104-105 elaborate on the above but not only don't forbid it, they talk about using deadly encounters (n+5 and beyond) or encounters with monsters of level n+8 and beyond and give explicit advice: "Use such overpowering encounters with great care. Players should enter the encounter with a clear sense of the danger they're facing, and have at least one good option for escaping with their lives, whether that's headlong flight or clever negotiation." Of note; (A) It doesn't forbid as it explicitly says use and it wouldn't be providing advice for forbidden techniques and (B) this is sound advice as it makes the math clear and basically warns against the use of the commonly understood cultural idiom of "rocks fail, you die".

- The same pages use the same logic (perturbation of the Attack vs Defense math) to warn against using Soldiers that are higher level than the PCs as it creates the well known "slog" as PCs percentage chance to hit them is very reduced (or extremely, depending on what n + is used) and they don't particularly threaten the PCs as they should only be used as melee controllers to protect more dangerous adversaries.

- And finally DMG2, pages 52-55 talk about Encounter and Attrition; primarily focused on Pacing. It canvasses all of the various models for the adventuring day and then gives guidance on the Prohibition (its own section) of Extended Rests and that this is particularly useful for the invocation of attrition/horror themed gaming (which I have used aplenty). It talks about how to accomplish this via plot device and rules systems; Curses/Disease mechanics and Skill Challenge mechanics.

I don't know where these ideas that 4e advocates bounded, Delve (3 encounters or progressive difficulty only) format play only and forbids all other adventuring day formats and/or the introduction of deadly encounters meant to be dealt with outside of the scope of the combat mechanics...but this garbage needs to die. Its flat out not true and its used only as a weapon in edition warring nonsense. Allowing it to proliferate only serves those edition war ends.

Kelimar

First Post
I think I need to look at the DMG 2 regarding attrition, it's a concept that has avoided my creative skills thus far and a source of frustration for me as well. But then that could have also been the setting I was using, I was trying to keep my campaign combat light as I found it both bogged down the game and ate up large portions of time which could be better used in the limited time I had to get my story across before I would have to wait another month to continue.

My problem with handicaping or shackling Power Gamers is that I don't have an absolutely huge player base to choose from, most of whom are my personal friends, and I'm uneager to possibly offend them by asking them to kindly stop making appearances for the game. I suspect that this wont be an issue with Fortune, as he was so upset by the last game that I don't think he will be returning, but I think it will be an issue with another friend of mine who is on the roster for my next ccampaign and is a notorious min maxer. I also find great difficulty of getting the concept across to said players that what they are doing is actively damaging the fun of the other players. They can't rationalize why someone WOULDN'T min max a character and simply view other characters who aren't power gamed as being poorly built. In my experience a power gamer asked to change characters due to their current one being unfair will either argue that said character isn't, or simply return the next week with another character broken in a different way.

thank you for the warm welcome btw, and I wasn't discouraged by the debating going on, considering they are simply online mirrors of what I've seen in real life.

Libramarian

Adventurer
I think for some (maybe a lot) of players minmaxing and powergaming is just a symptom of a more general frustration with their lack of influence on the course of the game. The encounter "golden box" is the only place they have to demonstrate skillful+creative play so they come across as obsessed over the game math when really they're just bored and could become more engaged with the game in other ways if they were offered. The campaign described here has some interesting flavor elements but I get the sense that the players didn't have many opportunities to really change the narrative or make weighty, challenging decisions.

the Jester

Legend
The OP admits Jim has issues. He is doing the best he can to be social, but because of psychological limitations he's not getting all the way. Jim does try - as showing up at all indicates.

Just because Jim has issues doesn't mean the rest of the group has to endure them.

That said, I get that Majoru and Jim are friends, and that MO stands by his friend. That's cool, and an admirable trait; that's what friends do.

What friends don't do is actively seek to ruin each others' fun. Which it sounds like Jim is perfectly happy to do. So I dunno; Jim doesn't sound like my kind of guy- I don't need to be around people who have to ruin other peoples' time to feel good- and I probably wouldn't let him in my campaign, but if he's friends with the group and he isn't as bad as he sounds and they don't mind him too much- well, okay, then.

I just have to point out, though, that you can be friends with him without gaming with him.

Man, given all the stuff he's said about Jim, I'd consider getting the hell out of that situation if I were Majoru Oakheart. I wouldn't put up with someone frequently deadpanning he was going to kill me even if I knew he was joking, and I'm certainly not going to put up with it if the person saying it has mental health issues.

I agree with this, but again, if MO has been friends with him for a long time and is comfortable with it, he probably knows the risk level.

That said, I'd talk to him about this and say, "Look, man, that's not cool, it makes me uncomfortable, and I don't want to live with you if it continues." But that's me; having that deadpan death threat in my environment would make me unacceptably anxious. I wouldn't put up with it, but again, I'm reacting to all of this without having been Jim's friend for years.

I think for some (maybe a lot) of players minmaxing and powergaming is just a symptom of a more general frustration with their lack of influence on the course of the game. The encounter "golden box" is the only place they have to demonstrate skillful+creative play so they come across as obsessed over the game math when really they're just bored and could become more engaged with the game in other ways if they were offered. The campaign described here has some interesting flavor elements but I get the sense that the players didn't have many opportunities to really change the narrative or make weighty, challenging decisions.

This is a key point here. I was trying to make a distinction between powergaming generally and "disruptive, gross powergaming." My players are all powergamers. They all build to thematic archetype but definitively build for effectiveness within that archetype. Gross powergaming is when folks build utter monstrosities with no consideration for the fiction; toys to destroy challenges played solely from pawn stance. That doesn't even work well for a strictly Gamist creative agenda as it utterly circumvents the point of play; to step on up, face and defeat challenges. If you create a powergamed monstrosity that (just an example) moves at 20 times the normal movement rate of the fastest creature and creates a zone of fire behind them that burns their enemies...well, there is no challenge to face and defeat.

Building for effectiveness (eg powergaming) within a thematic archetype is perfectly healthy for play (unless others grossly build in the opposite direction...and then considerable mental overhead is spent on balancing the math of challenges for such disparate power levels within a group).

Jim is not a powergamer. The examples given above in MO's post (and the one I outlined) are examples of "disruptive, gross powergaming"; bringing silly, observably overpowered characters into play with a mind to "break the game."

To your point though, there is without a doubt a decent number of powergamers who were born from the era of railroaded games, GM suspension of action resolution mechanics in favor of maintaining sanctity of metaplot, "rocks fall, you die" and the like. If they have no authority in the overarching narrative composition (eg decisions with only the illusion of meaning as metaplot will happen one way or another), then, after repeated exposure to the "All Roads Lead to Rome" technique, the evolved response to this may be to build "game-breaking" characters to forcibly impose their will upon the invincible metaplot in order to back GMs into a corner and expose the railroading machinery at work.

Kelimar

First Post
In my experience power gamers almost always take it too far, and will do so regardless of how restrictive the campaign is. I don't really think there is a connection between how driven someone is to power game and how many options they have with directing the campaign. Personally I feel that power gaming is simply a play style, power gamers enjoy creating powerful characters so that's what they do.

Remove ads