Freeform magic/power systems

tecnowraith

First Post
Does anyone know any RPGs that have good freeform magic/power systems for either modern, horror and/or scifi? I know there is Mage and Ars Magica but any others? Thanks

Last edited:

Aus_Snow

First Post
Mutants & Masterminds. The powers subsystem can model just about any magics, powers, whatever. Especially with some creative usage, and maybe house rules and/or the Mastermind's Manual and/or Ultimate Power, where needed.

Likewise, H.E.R.O, but I'm not very familiar with that one.

Oh, and GURPS too.

Last edited:

Elements of Magic: Mythic Earth by our very own Ranger Wickett turns his Elements of Magic spell point system into a skill-based system for use in the modern world.

Since the system is an 'add-on', you can use it in any D20 setting, and many non-D20 with minor tweaks.

I did like Grimm Cybertales' rules for psionics in CP2020... but that might not be what you are looking for.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Echoing the suggestion of Mutants & Masterminds, HERO and GURPS. It should be noted that HERO has- and M&M will soon be adding- mystical sourcebooks and actual fantasy settings, so you can create mages appropriate to all kinds of genres, like low-magic, urban fantasy & horror, superheroic or even the most powerful mages and sorcerers you can imagine.

Adding the suggestion of True20's True Sorcery. Its conceptually similar to but mechanically cleaner than the stuff in WotC's Epic Sourcebook.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Adding the suggestion of True20's True Sorcery. Its conceptually similar to but mechanically cleaner than the stuff in WotC's Epic Sourcebook.
Agreed. [nitpick] Even though True Sorcery was (and might still be) categorised as a True20 supplement, it isn't. Not primarily, anyhow. It's actually a 'd20 fantasy' book first and foremost (i.e., for use with 3e), with brief conversion notes at the back for True20, Thieves' World. . . and a couple of others, IIRC. [/nitpick]

;) But yeah, it's a 'build your own spell' type book, so definitely qualifies.

And, as the Epic Level Handbook was referred to as well, I'll just mention that the system in there for 'building spells' can be adapted to non-epic levels, very easily. Oh, and while I'm at it, here is that stuff, at d20srd.org .

Also, there's the Incantations rules variant from Unearthed Arcana, to be found here as well, thanks to the OGL, for now and forever. :cool:

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Does anyone know any RPGs that have good freeform magic/power systems...

What do you mean by "freeform"?

That you can cast any spell you like and do not have to learn them specifically?

Or that the system is generic and can model any spell you want instead of offering a list of specific spells?

Bye
Thanee

Wombat

First Post
There's always Ars Magica -- spontaneous magic rules allow a magus to do a wide variety of magic, limited by training and the player's imagination. ;)

Krensky

First Post
What do you mean by "freeform"?

That you can cast any spell you like and do not have to learn them specifically?

Or that the system is generic and can model any spell you want instead of offering a list of specific spells?

Bye
Thanee

Based on his examples, he's looking for either a predicate magic system (like Ars Magica or Elements of Magic) or a seed system (like Mage, Elements of Magic: Mythic Earth, or True Sorcery). GURPS has (had) a predicate system in the 3e Magic book, I don't know about 4e. HARP is somewhere between a seed system and a spell system. M&M and HERO let you make your own powers/spells.

Basically he's looking for an effects based system whithout codified spells. Where he tells the GM what he wants to do, the GM tells him how hard it is, and he rolls.

Some intent might help though. Wraith, are you looking for a system to kitbash into a game, or a game to kitbash a setting into? if the former, what game, and if the later can you give us a description of the setting and it's feel?

tecnowraith

First Post
I am doing two campaigns. 1: a scifi/horror game of my supernatural law enforcement. 2: a science fantasy sky pirates games on world with biomechanical or techno-organic beings. I am thinking of the biomechanical or techno-organic beings with the other game as well.

No skill or advantage based power/magic system. Gurps and Tri-stat are like that, Tri-stat to some extent is advantge based (from what I read of the rules).

Remove ads