Froghemoths & Flail Snails - Oh My! Chris Perkins' New Adventure Sneak Peek

It's a Kamadan.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
See "Iron Gods" from Paizo.

Of course, the problem with WotC revisiting "Barrier Peaks" is right there - Paizo have tackled a similar theme very recently. That doesn't mean they shouldn't do it, of course, but it does mean they should probably make sure to go in a different direction with it.

My thoughts too, plus the Legion of Gold for 4E's version of Gamma World had a strong Barrier Peaks influence.

Then again, Tiamat was the BBEG in 1E, 3.5E, 4E, and 5E so they're prepared to go back to the same creative well....

delericho

Legend
My thoughts too, plus the Legion of Gold for 4E's version of Gamma World had a strong Barrier Peaks influence.

Then again, Tiamat was the BBEG in 1E, 3.5E, 4E, and 5E so they're prepared to go back to the same creative well....

Going back is entirely sensible. But they need to be careful not to go back too quickly. For example:

[sblock]Paizo's Giantslayer path suffers because the climax is a raid on a floating giant castle, which is rather too close to HotDQ.[/sblock]

Which wouldn't have been a problem, except that the relevant adventures were published so close together. "Iron Gods" is still maybe a little too soon to redo as-is, but a different direction (perhaps an ongoing alien invasion?) could work.

Or just wait a couple of years, of course.

Curmudjinn

Explorer
I am not familiar at all with t...onsters, but my first thought when seeing just the look of 3/4 of them was that the adventure's theme could be invasion from the Far Realm. Which also means, introducing psionics in final version.

I think you may be on to something, Li. This seems to fit nicely with a full-fledge psionic release. I could see more of a mind flayer/gith races AP, as they are pretty big fan favorites. Either the Far Realm incursion or an invasion/war spills over into the material realm.

jrowland

First Post
Why Barrier Peaks? Only ONE of those four monsters was in the Barrier Peaks... and it wasn't even unique to that adventure!

It's not the monsters, per se, but the menagerie aspect, that leads us to believe Barrier Peaks...the ...*dungeon*... was a zoo. Plus, as a tease, vegepygmies would give it away.

I don't think it would be a Barrier Peaks clone, in fact I think it would be a lot further from the original than Princes of the Apocalypse is from Temple of Elemental Evil. It will probably be a mish mash of Against the giants and barrier peaks given the other hints floating around.

zoroaster100

First Post
The next Icons of the Realms miniature set (and those so far have each been tied with the corresponding storyline and adventure path), is Monster Menagerie. The first thing that came to mind is a mad archmage or society that is experimenting with creating crazy bizarre monsters (along the lines of the origin story for a lot of D&D monsters like the owlbear and other strange beast mashups). Though Barrier Peaks style spaceship crash with alien monsters is certainly also a possibility.

Remove ads

Remove ads