From out of the 80's into the 90's erm 2021

R_J_K75

Legend
In one tour 2018? We saw megadeth and slayer! And I have seen anthrax too: saw them with slayer at a smallish venue!

most shocking to me was anthrax lead singer. His voice has not aged! It gives me hope! Lanb of god played one of the shows (think they were before slayer actually at a large out door venue) and seeing the dude with white hair throw down like a young dude did my heart good!

I am not ancient....40s...but I take inspiration from these bands that keep going. Getting a lot of gray in my facial hair...but I crank it up in my car! My youngest likes metal now too.

they were able to request songs for an online school party worth their teacher. At 6 he requested “steambr(eaver)” aka steam breather by mastodon! His teacher loved it (her husband likes the band apparently).
Definitely good to see someof these guys still going and to see young kids getting into metal and rock. Doesnt seem like there are many good new bads out there that I like, but honestly I dont really look much anymore either so no one but myself to blame. OTOH radio is garbage these days, I'd rather listen to Bread than the crap they play on Rock/Alt stations.

Ulfgeir

Hero
Doro from the group Warlock is still around, and makes good music.

Not something I listen to normally, so I can't comment on the quality of the later albums, but Rolling Stones are still active.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Definitely good to see someof these guys still going and to see young kids getting into metal and rock. Doesnt seem like there are many good new bads out there that I like, but honestly I dont really look much anymore either so no one but myself to blame. OTOH radio is garbage these days, I'd rather listen to Bread than the crap they play on Rock/Alt stations.
I took the plunge with satellite radio. I look into what sounds good and ignore the rest!

as a working family guy I don’t have the bandwidth to read up on lots of bands or haunt clubs.

I need it to be spoon fed. And have discovered some older stuff I had missed!

R_J_K75

Legend
I took the plunge with satellite radio. I look into what sounds good and ignore the rest!

as a working family guy I don’t have the bandwidth to read up on lots of bands or haunt clubs.

I need it to be spoon fed. And have discovered some older stuff I had missed!
Only time I really listen to music anymore is in my car, at other peoples house or when theres people here and we're drinking. In that case we usually fight over what to play next so we've been reduced to pretty much the same playlist to cut down on the bloodshed.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I have a friends who saw GNR with the Stones in '88, Soundgarden with GNR in '89 and lots of other good concerts. He said out of all of the shows he's seen, Weird Al was one of the best ever.
Al found his niche and he stuck to it. Remains consistent at it too. I tend to prefer musicians who explore beyond their core sound and evolve over time. There are many long timers out there that never really did this. Al's secret is by its very nature he has to explore new territory. Not saying the product is in my top 10 or even 20 but I got a lot of respect for what Al does.

Beck is like that too. Add him to the list of 90's guys still around and doing it well.

Zardnaar

Legend
Legacy music releases after an artists death doesn't really count. They're not doing new music it's often unreleased stuff recorded near their peak.

Doesn't count inho but yeah care factor is low.

Some of the new Megadeth is good. It's a big difference between then and Metallica whose last great album was 1988 or 91.

United Abominations was great and 2 albums at least since then are good. Mustiane has more vocal range than Hetfield.

Duet with Christina Scabbia from Lacuna Coil one of the greatest female vocalist currently active.

Et Tu Le Monde redone from 1994's Youthanasia album.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Depeche Mode is still putting out some good stuff. Saw them in concert two years ago. Still a better show than pretty much every modern band.

Dave Gahan has been through some stuff, but he’s managed to maintain the quality of his voice, and that’s a HUGE factor in DM’s continued excellence.

Remove ads