• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Full preview unlocked!

Right...that's why I said appears. I won't actually judge it until we see it. But this was a thread about the ToC

We're all pretty much jumping at shadows at the moment, myself included. But that's what happens when we try and 'read' the DMG based on he ToC!

Speculation is fun to do though! :)

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Sad news, although not very unexpected. I was really hoping that the modules thing was something WotC was going to deliver. I'm going to look at the book (of course) but this pretty much looks like an edition I'm going to largely skip.

The sad thing is that if they were planning expansion books I could still be in, but no character customization? No martial power system? No tactical combat? Not serving as a uniting edition here. I hope folks really play the heck out of this one and enjoy it like crazy but it looks like I'm going to skip running this one.

Last edited:

Paraxis

Explorer
Sad news, although not very unexpected. I was really hoping that the modules things was something WotC was going to deliver. I'm going to look at the book (of course) but this pretty much looks like an edition I'm going to largely skip.

The sad thing is that if they were planning expansion books I could still be in, but no character customization? No martial power system? No tactical combat? Not serving as a uniting edition here. I hope folks really play the heck out of this one and enjoy it like crazy but it looks like I'm going to skip running this one.

Please don't take this wrong, but as someone who seems to like a lot of what you want, 5e has just enough to make me happy.

Character customization, between backgrounds, feats, sub-classes, fighting styles there is character customization.

Tactical combat, I use a grid on roll20 for all my games, it is there just doesn't slow the game down, feats like mobile, actions like dodge, feats like pole arm mastery, there is just enough tactics to make me happy.

Play whatever edition makes you and your group happy, the best analogy I ever heard was a D&D edition is like a car on a road trip, the features of the car are nice but it's the company of your friends that make it memorable and fun, but once a few more things come out maybe look into 5e again and give it a try.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Sad news, although not very unexpected. I was really hoping that the modules things was something WotC was going to deliver. I'm going to look at the book (of course) but this pretty much looks like an edition I'm going to largely skip.

My early take on this edition is that if you've never played D&D before, this is the best edition you could start with. I think they hit it out of the park for new players. Where I'm less sure is for those who love D&D 3.x/Pathfinder and even, perhaps, 4E. Is there enough here to keep interest for those of us who love those systems? I will have to finish reading all three core books before I make that judgement.

Dire Bare

Legend
So Angry

I too am incensed and enraged that WotC has once again lied and broken their sacred promises to me, a gamer, by not producing a draft table of contents that clearly spells out all of the things I expected to be in a book based on my misconceptions and poor memory of what their designers have actually said in blog and twitter posts written months before final development of the book.

En. Raged.

Last edited:

Hereticus

First Post
Out of curiosity, how much firearms and alien tech have you encountered?

Fair question... none.

But also consider this... the module came out well before the DMG preview with "firearms and alien tech", so your question was comparing grapes to grapefruits.

Hereticus

First Post
I think this is the result of Kobold Press not having access to that kind of stuff when they made the adventure. There are magical items in the module. There is a chance to get one in the next chapter. One could say that the plot gives a good reason why there aren't any magical items so far but there are two NPCs that one would think would have a magical item or two. I guess technically one of them had a potion of invisibility.

Quite possibly, but anyone who has played D&D long enough to have attempted to write a module can guestimate on basic magic items for low level characters.

I enjoy playing in a game where there is magic and enchanted creatures, and I would like to see a bit more of it.

Hereticus

First Post
Our party of 6 PCs all had magic items by level 5, and about half have multiple magic items. I don't know why you view Horde as the standard, but it's not. The game is lowER on the magic items than 3e, but it's not devoid of them. And magic items are hardly the only, or even primary, element of magic in a game.

I view it as the standard, because it is the only published module available. It is the adventure my group is playing, and the one the other group I know is playing. Other than homebrews (which I will start one soon), it is the campaign everyone her is playing.

I am used to the bounty of magic items available in 3.5/PF. As a DM I am a firm believer that magic items should be taken from the recently killed fingers of their previous user, not as part of a treasure horde.

If I were to hazard a guess...I'd guess we'd see what to do for: difficult terrain of A-Z types. Mounted movement/chases. Ship movement/chases [A-Z kind of ships]. Flight movement/chases [A-Z ways to be flying]...maybe -given the presence of firearms and explosives- [grr.blek.] Modern & Sci-fi vehicle movement/chases [motorcycles, cars, tanks, jet-steeds, hovercraft, spaceship, etc...].

With tables/charts, maybe some margin art. I could see that needing 3 pages, easily.
Just a guess.

Hmmm... It would be interesting if that is the section where they stick alternative movement in general, and not just "chases." I'd love rules for ships and vehicles. Of course, it also might just have a 2 page art spread and a sidebar for the next section.

Remove ads