• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Full preview unlocked!

pedro2112

First Post
Sad news, although not very unexpected. I was really hoping that the modules things was something WotC was going to deliver. I'm going to look at the book (of course) but this pretty much looks like an edition I'm going to largely skip.

Could you explain how having more pages devoted to rule customization than pages devoted to the rules of the game itself is not delivering on their statement they would provide ways to customize your game?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
My initial reaction was similar to some here (in that I was disappointed to not see a ton of optional modules) but then I realized that just because there's no chapter called "Optional Rules Modules" with hundreds of pages under it does not mean that there won't be a ton of optional rules in there.

We're really going to have to wait and see. 5e has so far been able to cram a ton of material into every book.
I doubt this will be different.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Could you explain how having more pages devoted to rule customization than pages devoted to the rules of the game itself is not delivering on their statement they would provide ways to customize your game?
Uh, I would, except that no one has that expectation. The PHB contains the rules of the game, and it's a pretty hefty tome. The DMG was supposed to be where we would be getting the rules for the other modules that would make the game run like some of us are interested in. We have a few pages like that, it's true, but nowhere near the actual rules pages.

Most of the DMG is the same thing that you would expect in any edition's DMG: how to prep and run a game and campaign. It has a lot of pages devoted to that, which is not a bad thing. My point is that given the size of the book, the expectations that were set, and the delay in its release, I (and I'm not the only one) was hoping for more meat to deliver on one of the goals of the edition: modularity. I'm sad (but not entirely surprised) that this isn't the case.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
My early take on this edition is that if you've never played D&D before, this is the best edition you could start with. I think they hit it out of the park for new players. Where I'm less sure is for those who love D&D 3.x/Pathfinder and even, perhaps, 4E. Is there enough here to keep interest for those of us who love those systems? I will have to finish reading all three core books before I make that judgement.
I think that's a pretty good point. For new people just coming to gaming, these are some pretty good rules. I've been playing in the Adventurers League games at a FLGS, and we have seen some new players. As an old fart it has fallen on me to help with explaining the rules, and it seems to be pretty simple for most people to grasp.

What I was hoping for (and still am, both in the DMG and also in later products) is a more "Advanced D&D" option.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Uh, I would, except that no one has that expectation. The PHB contains the rules of the game, and it's a pretty hefty tome. The DMG was supposed to be where we would be getting the rules for the other modules that would make the game run like some of us are interested in. We have a few pages like that, it's true, but nowhere near the actual rules pages.

Most of the DMG is the same thing that you would expect in any edition's DMG: how to prep and run a game and campaign. It has a lot of pages devoted to that, which is not a bad thing. My point is that given the size of the book, the expectations that were set, and the delay in its release, I (and I'm not the only one) was hoping for more meat to deliver on one of the goals of the edition: modularity. I'm sad (but not entirely surprised) that this isn't the case.

While I'm loving 5e so far, I must admit that I expected more of the "modularity".

It may be me over expecting, or they may have dialed it back a bit.

Either way, I see it in a similar fashion as [MENTION=9053]SteveC[/MENTION], at the moment.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think that's a pretty good point. For new people just coming to gaming, these are some pretty good rules. I've been playing in the Adventurers League games at a FLGS, and we have seen some new players. As an old fart it has fallen on me to help with explaining the rules, and it seems to be pretty simple for most people to grasp.

What I was hoping for (and still am, both in the DMG and also in later products) is a more "Advanced D&D" option.

The PHB is, indeed, hefty; but as has been pointed out, the section of the PHB that contains actual rules (rather than character options) is about the same length as the rules alternatives chapter in the DMG at ~20 pages. The modules are looking to be as extensive as the Basic rules, and given 5e conciseness that can go a long way.

One of the supplemental books had aliens in it, but they were just weird monsters. There were no ray guns.

I believe it was 3.5 of PF that introduced gunslingers and bomb makers. Fortunately there were none in any of the games I joined.

I have to ask... are you serious?

In the interest of accurate information, look at pages 162-164 of the 3.0 DMG, or pages 144-147 of the 3.5 DMG. It's the same information from the firearms and technology preview which we just saw, but wordier and with even more tech.

If you didn't see any technology in third edition, you shouldn't see any more in 5e. :)

The PHB is, indeed, hefty; but as has been pointed out, the section of the PHB that contains actual rules (rather than character options) is about the same length as the rules alternatives chapter in the DMG at ~20 pages. The modules are looking to be as extensive as the Basic rules, and given 5e conciseness that can go a long way.

I'm hoping for what I'd like based on that conciseness. Compared to 3e, I've noticed that 5e can cram the same material into half as many words. They tend to leave out little details, and that might leave new players wondering what's being talked about, but for experienced players it gives just what you need to have "all the info." If the DMG follows suit, we'll hopefully have what I'm looking for.

Wrathamon

Adventurer
The more I read people's expectations and how sad/mad they are over "broken promises" or content they dont like and/or how now they will skip this edition, maybe you will get it right next time, etc.

Makes me never to want to create something for other people's enjoyment, because you can never please the internet. I'm guessing they have to avoid blogs, forums, etc. or go nuts.

That is what's sad.

RPG designers must be masochists, because the internet can be sadistic.

Now, I'm being dramatic, but I dont get it. I guess I am too old/new for this stuff.

Remove ads