D&D 5E Fun Enemy Reactions

Reynard

Legend
One thing I want to do is make 5E combat more dynamic, with OCs willing to move around a lot. One solution i have come upon to encourage this is to make sure enemies have interesting options for their reactions that mean it isn't always optimal for them to take an Opportunity Attack.

The couple I have come up with so far are:

Use the Help action as a reaction (I have moved to individual enemy initiative to avoid the clustering problem).

Move up to half their movement (in squares rounded down) as a reaction.

Go full defensive as a reaction (this lasts until the start of their next turn).

Get a fresh save against an ongoing effect as a reaction.

Heal a number of hit points equal to their HD as a reaction.

I am toying with adding a recharge 5-6 to some of these as well. Although that gets tough to track.

Thoughts? Ideas for interesting reactions? Other ways you have made combat more dynamic?

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
If the enemy's real victory condition is 'make the PCs go away' rather than 'kill them all', the skill actions from Xanathar might point the way: the big burly fellow tries to Intimidate you; roll a CHR Save or become Frightened.

Reynard

Legend
If the enemy's real victory condition is 'make the PCs go away' rather than 'kill them all', the skill actions from Xanathar might point the way: the big burly fellow tries to Intimidate you; roll a CHR Save or become Frightened.
That's not the goal. The goal is simply to allow PCs to move around more freely while simultaneously making combat more interesting.

Remove ads