D&D 5E [Fun]Really Broken Combos

Zero Cochrane

Explorer
You can't target an unwilling creature with Telekinetic movement ("As an action, you target one loose object that is Large or smaller or one willing creature, other than yourself.") So that's not a problem.
Thanks, I missed that word when I first read it.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
So did Tasha’s remove the racial restrictions on feats or no? I can’t seem to find specific wording that the restriction was removed but I could have sworn I read something to that effect.

pming

Legend
Hiya!
Now that Tasha's is out, it seems like there are enough official player options for unforeseen consequences to start popping up.

Has anyone seen or designed a really OP combo using 5E. I know I still cringe at paladin sorcerer combos, but I am guessing they have been eclipsed by other builds.

Note: this is supposed to be fun, not an excuse to beat on 5E.

There are no broken combo's... only broken DM's.

;)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
There's always my surprisingly-not-gimped ultra-skill character. (And this build even has a rational story behind it!)

Half Elf Rogue 1/Bard (Lore) 3/Cleric (Knowledge) 1/Bard +15. With just two feats (Skilled + Prodigy), you get ALL (+ Thieves' Tools and one other set of tools), and 9 of those proficiencies have Expertise.

Half Elf (2) + Background (2) + Rogue (4 + ThTools) + 1 (Bard MC) + 3 (Lore) + 2 (Knowledge) + 3 (Skilled) + 1 (Prodigy) = 18
Expertise: 2 (Rogue 1) + 4 (Bard 10) + 2 (Knowledge) + 1 (Prodigy) = 9

More realistically, you'd drop Skilled because you can quite easily pick three skills you don't care that much about (perhaps Animal Handling, Medicine, and Survival?) which you can trust other characters to handle if an expert is needed, and which you'll still be decent at because of Jack of All Trades.

On top of the above, you have medium armor and shields, and all the goodies of Rogue 1. You do end up a full spell level behind until high level, but you lose almost no spell slots, and the Bard capstone is crap so you'll hardly miss it. Losing out on that final ASI is a cost, but not a nasty one, given how central Charisma is.

You get a solid, well-rounded package that is ALSO an incredible expert at almost every skill she attempts, and even her few areas of "weakness" are more "well I'm not amazing at that, just decent." The true Renaissance woman.

There's always my surprisingly-not-gimped ultra-skill character. (And this build even has a rational story behind it!)

Half Elf Rogue 1/Bard (Lore) 3/Cleric (Knowledge) 1/Bard +15. With just two feats (Skilled + Prodigy), you get ALL (+ Thieves' Tools and one other set of tools), and 9 of those proficiencies have Expertise.

Half Elf (2) + Background (2) + Rogue (4 + ThTools) + 1 (Bard MC) + 3 (Lore) + 2 (Knowledge) + 3 (Skilled) + 1 (Prodigy) = 18
Expertise: 2 (Rogue 1) + 4 (Bard 10) + 2 (Knowledge) + 1 (Prodigy) = 9

More realistically, you'd drop Skilled because you can quite easily pick three skills you don't care that much about (perhaps Animal Handling, Medicine, and Survival?) which you can trust other characters to handle if an expert is needed, and which you'll still be decent at because of Jack of All Trades.

On top of the above, you have medium armor and shields, and all the goodies of Rogue 1. You do end up a full spell level behind until high level, but you lose almost no spell slots, and the Bard capstone is crap so you'll hardly miss it. Losing out on that final ASI is a cost, but not a nasty one, given how central Charisma is.

You get a solid, well-rounded package that is ALSO an incredible expert at almost every skill she attempts, and even her few areas of "weakness" are more "well I'm not amazing at that, just decent." The true Renaissance woman.

Half Elf (2 skills + 2 from background) Scout Rogue 11 (6 skills, 6 x expertise), Lore Bard 3 (+4 skills +2 expertise), Knowledge Cleric 1 (+2 skills +2 Expertise), Ranger 1 (+1 skill, +1 expertise) with Skilled feat (+1 skill, +1 expertise)

18 skills (all of them), 12 with expertise, plus reliable talent (all rolls of 10 or less = 10)

Still have 4 levels to play with.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Half Elf (2 skills + 2 from background) Scout Rogue 11 (6 skills, 6 x expertise), Lore Bard 3 (+4 skills +2 expertise), Knowledge Cleric 1 (+2 skills +2 Expertise), Ranger 1 (+1 skill, +1 expertise) with Skilled feat (+1 skill, +1 expertise)

18 skills (all of them), 12 with expertise, plus reliable talent (all rolls of 10 or less = 10)

Still have 4 levels to play with.
Sure, but the build is also a lot more scattered. Rogue 11 + Bard 3 is a bit of a harder sell than Rogue 1 + Bard 10. It does get you pretty far along the "most expertise possible" line, but you give up a lot to get there. My posted build, as noted, makes pretty minimal sacrifices to get everything mentioned except Reliable Talent. It also doesn't LOOK like a franken-build, just quick dips.

That's why I see it as "overpowered" in a narrow sense. It achieves very nearly full mastery of one area of the game (skill and ability rolls) while sacrificing...almost nothing to get it. You want decent Dex even in medium armor, so 13+ is no problem. Wis 13+ isn't a big ask either, and obviously you're pumping Cha if you're a bard.

Plus, as noted, this idea actually HAS a story and a character, it's not just "throw random stuff in and see what sticks." (In the original version of this build, Warlock was explicitly NOT okay to pick up for story reasons, but for the right characters it can work out, you just lose out on 9th level spells.)

Sure, but the build is also a lot more scattered. Rogue 11 + Bard 3 is a bit of a harder sell than Rogue 1 + Bard 10.
Not if you want to be Rogue instead of a Bard its not.
Plus, as noted, this idea actually HAS a story and a character, it's not just "throw random stuff in and see what sticks."
Raised in the Wood of Sharp Teeth, Talith Gundreheim was a Woodsman and Scout who served the Monks of Candlekeep, scouring the world for Knowledge on their behalf. His love of the woodlands was only matched by his devotion to Oghma, the God of Knowledge.

Hohige

Explorer
Level 3 combo.

The One Shot K.O. COMBO

1616697060312.png

V. Human Divine Soul Sorcerer level 3, Feat: Martial Initiate (Feinting attack):
Metamagic: Empower Spell, Seeking Spell

Turn 1:
Bonus Action: Feiting attack for Advantage + Superior Dice on damage.
Action: Empowered Upcasted Inflict Wounds for 4d10 + 1d8 (Superior Dice).
The d10 with empower spell is averag 6.75.

Advantage + Seeking Spell (If the attack fails) + Favored by the gods +2d4 (If the attack fails) is certain to hit.
Attack roll is 3d20 +5 +2d4, It's insane.... High chance to crit.
Critical hit: Empowered 8d10+2d8.

Final Damage: 33 average Necrotic Damage.

1616697042591.png

A Warlock with 16 con has 24 HP.
A Fighter with 16 con has 27 HP.
A Wizard with 16 con has 21 HP;
A Barbarian with 16 con has 30 HP.

The Favored by the gods and feiting attack recharge on short rest.

Pre casted Spirital Weapon (Black Scythe Style) as bonus action 9,5 avarage damage + Action for Sleep Upcasted or not.

Remove ads