D&D 5E Further Future D&D Product Speculation

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
If you give each faction about 2-3 pages pages, that still leaves room for the player rules and details on Sigil (or at least detailed at the level of a book like Van Richten's Guide). Essentially, the Factions could be treated like the Domains in Van Richten's Guide, as the drivers of plot in the City and Outlands. Then the Tour of the Planes Adventure can show how it all works in practice.

Oof no thank you. I'd much prefer each Plane in Planescape gets the Domains treatment, not the factions. I'm looking for a Planescape setting book, and if its that many pages devoted to just factions in Sigil, that's way closer to a Sigil Setting Book. I'd be very frustrated with that.

I largely agree with @Ruin Explorer that if each faction gets 2 pages, that doesn't leave much space left for the rest of Sigil, much less the rest of Planescape. Especially if it has to share space for monsters and an adventure, which a Planescape book probably will have.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Oof no thank you. I'd much prefer each Plane in Planescape gets the Domains treatment, not the factions. I'm looking for a Planescape setting book, and if its that many pages devoted to just factions in Sigil, that's way closer to a Sigil Setting Book. I'd be very frustrated with that.

I largely agree with @Ruin Explorer that if each faction gets 2 pages, that doesn't leave much space left for the rest of Sigil, much less the rest of Planescape. Especially if it has to share space for monsters and an adventure, which a Planescape book probably will have.
I mean, a Planescape product basically is a Sigil product, to provide the space where low level characters can interact with tremendous Planar powers. The Factions are an important aspect of that working, so they would need to get some detail at any rate. Ravnica provides a decent model, I would think, with the extensive coverage of the Guilds.

Urriak Uruk

I mean, a Planescape product basically is a Sigil product, to provide the space where low level characters can interact with tremendous Planar powers. The Factions are an important aspect of that working, so they would need to get some detail at any rate. Ravnica provides a decent model, I would think, with the extensive coverage of the Guilds.

I totally disagree. Sigil is the hub location, much like how Sharn is in Eberron. It should get a good chunk of material (much like Sharn does in Eberron's book), but no way is a Planescape book a "Sigil only" book. Ravnica is a book about Ravnica, and Planescape should be a book about the planes, not Sigil only.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I totally disagree. Sigil is the hub location, much like how Sharn is in Eberron. It should get a good chunk of material (much like Sharn does in Eberron's book), but no way is a Planescape book a "Sigil only" book. Ravnica is a book about Ravnica, and Planescape should be a book about the planes, not Sigil only.
Well, investigating the original box set, it looks like the Factions took up about 4 pages in the 96 page booklet, about the same page space as the Clerks Ward of Sigil, so I concede that you have a valid point. I was mainly going off of how much I've heard Planescape fans talk about the Factions, asthey are part of what makes the Setting a distinct Planar experience from what I hear.

Urriak Uruk

Well, investigating the original box set, it looks like the Factions took up about 4 pages in the 96 page booklet, about the same page space as the Clerks Ward of Sigil, so I concede that you have a valid point. I was mainly going off of how much I've heard Planescape fans talk about the Factions, asthey are part of what makes the Setting a distinct Planar experience from what I hear.

Oh, I admit that Planescape fans love the factions. Disproportionately so to their value, but I digress.

I also took a look at Planescape adventures (thank you Adventure Lookup), and although many of them start in Sigil, few of them are only in Sigil, or even primarily Sigil. It's mostly "You start in Sigil, something happens, you then head off to X plane to adventure, and return to Sigil when that adventure is done." That definitely means Sigil deserves it's fair share of attention, but other planes like the Outlands, Nine Hells, the Beastlands, Limbo, and the Abyss are also going to need some good content... as that's usually where adventures are going to happen.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Oh, I admit that Planescape fans love the factions. Disproportionately so to their value, but I digress.

I also took a look at Planescape adventures (thank you Adventure Lookup), and although many of them start in Sigil, few of them are only in Sigil, or even primarily Sigil. It's mostly "You start in Sigil, something happens, you then head off to X plane to adventure, and return to Sigil when that adventure is done." That definitely means Sigil deserves it's fair share of attention, but other planes like the Outlands, Nine Hells, the Beastlands, Limbo, and the Abyss are also going to need some good content... as that's usually where adventures are going to happen.
So, the PHB covers the Great Wheel Cosmos in about 3 pages, while the DMG takes 25 pages. 9 of the DMG pages are focused on the Outer Planes, which comes to about half a page each for the 16 of them. Give each Plane a two page spread to, details Sigil and the outlands a bit, and have a few player options at the beginning? Doable in 64 pages.

Urriak Uruk

So, the PHB covers the Great Wheel Cosmos in about 3 pages, while the DMG takes 25 pages. 9 of the DMG pages are focused on the Outer Planes, which comes to about half a page each for the 16 of them. Give each Plane a two page spread to, details Sigil and the outlands a bit, and have a few player options at the beginning? Doable in 64 pages.

Well, I'd skim over some planes (or skip entirely) to give the fun ones more space. Like, I don't think anybody needs much info on Bytopia, for example. Gives more space for the Nine Hells, which as you can see by this map by the Mock Man, can be extremely flesh out.

View attachment 1651103412255.png

Remove ads