D&D 5E Further Future D&D Product Speculation

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Well, I'd skim over some planes (or skip entirely) to give the fun ones more space. Like, I don't think anybody needs much info on Bytopia, for example. Gives more space for the Nine Hells, which as you can see by this map by the Mock Man, can be extremely flesh out.

View attachment 156244
On the other hand, someplace like Bytopia maybe can be given something a bit more gameable with some space in a product like this.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Does anyone actually own that? Or did it slide through the cracks of intellectual property ownership?

I believe TSR doesn't own Pelinore. It was started by IMAGINE magazine, which went under, and then supported by Gamemaster's Publications, which was not owned by TSR. Means that TSR let IMAGINE mag's writers actually own the IP they made, I suppose.

Gamemaster's Publications also went under. So... no idea who owns Pelinore, or if anyone does.

They're covers are cool btw.

1651103922158.png
1651103974219.png

One of the reasons that Spelljammer is so small is that they left out detailing most of Spelljammers traditional different Wildspace systems like Realmspace, Krynn Space, Herospace, Clusterspace, etc..., which is what like 75% of the classic setting, instead deciding to turning it into Treasure Planet: The Next Generation, which takes alot less space. It likely they decided to focus on the Mists of Ravenloft instead of the domains.

Given that Planescape will likely double as a manual of the Planes, I suspect that it will be much larger and there is simply far, far, far more to detail. Sadly that likely means more expensive too (although they will likely release the individual books in the slipcase separately for both Spelljammer & Planescape, just like Monsters of the Multiverse). Spelljammer leans hard into relying on other settings like FR for Planets to visit by the sounds of it. It sounds like they concider the wildspace of settings like FR to be part of that setting and not Spelljammer. So that is why it's so skinny compared to what you could expect from Planescape.

Urriak Uruk

One of the reasons that Spelljammer is so small is that they left out detailing most of Spelljammers traditional different Wildspace systems like Realmspace, Krynn Space, Herospace, Clusterspace, etc..., which is what like 75% of the classic setting, instead deciding to turning it into Treasure Planet: The Next Generation, which takes alot less space. It likely they decided to focus on the Mists of Ravenloft instead of the domains.

Given that Planescape will likely double as a manual of the Planes, I suspect that it will be much larger and there is simply far, far, far more to detail. Sadly that likely means more expensive too (although they will likely release the individual books in the slipcase separately for both Spelljammer & Planescape, just like Monsters of the Multiverse). Spelljammer leans hard into relying on other settings like FR for Planets to visit by the sounds of it. It sounds like they concider the wildspace of settings like FR to be part of that setting and not Spelljammer. So that is why it's so skinny compared to what you could expect from Planescape.

They could do the slipcase, and then just sell each book separately later. I'm hoping they do that for Spelljammer.

Urriak Uruk

I don't think we actually know which Crystal Spheres they are covering in the book, that hasn't been made clear yet AFAIK.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

I mean, fey could also stick to the same format: too little information to say either way. For WotC in 5E, the definition of Setting has more to do with genre story tripes: Spelljammer ia the Flash Gordon, 80's Saturday Morning Cartoon by way of Hea y Metal Magazine But Family Friendly story space. Not a catalog of locations.

Remove ads