• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gamer Significant Others

What is your dating status?

• Dating? Is that a new RPG?

Votes: 35 9.5%
  • Currently single, with some prospects.

Votes: 39 10.6%
  • Going steady.

Votes: 12 3.3%
  • Going steady with a gamer!

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • Living with my SO.

Votes: 28 7.6%
  • Living with my gamer SO!

Votes: 14 3.8%
  • Engaged.

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • Engaged to a gamer.

Votes: 13 3.5%
  • Happily married.

Votes: 107 29.0%
  • Happily married to a gamer.

Votes: 99 26.8%

BWP

Explorer
DreadPirateMurphy said:
OK, so the stereotype of the gamer is the desperate, socially awkward type drooling over booth babes at conventions.

I don't go to conventions any more ....
:\

Kid Socrates

First Post
My girlfriend, a player in my Final Fantasy d20 game, just moved in over the weekend. :) We've been together for over four years, she got into gaming last year.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Happily married to a prospective gamer.

She's gamed in the past, and would like to game withmy crew and Iagain, but puts way too much emphasis on what she brings tothe game.

She feels that her characters are not deep or interesting enough if they don't have a background plotted out from birth until the present (in contrast to the longest standing member of my crew whose most current character was built around the awesome, deep background of "He's a Minotaur Spirit Adept")

She also feels that any stock character is not something she'd be interestedin plaing because i has "been done" (She has thus far abandoned the concepts of Halfling Gypsy, Wood Elf Ranger and Dawn Elf Archer)...also, she doesn't want toplay anything 'Ugly" :)

Aftetr the latest roundof hand-wringing I finally just asked her to treat this the same way she'd treat Monopoly, no one at the table is going to judge if she is playing her character "properly" or "Interestingly" or whatever...and I'mnot exactly handing out the Oscar for best Performance by a Noob:)

I hope it all comes together

DarrenGMiller

First Post
I have been married for over 13 years to a non-gamer. I wish she would try it, but I am glad she tolerates it at least.

She had a very sheltered upbringing with a very conservative mother. When we met, she thought gaming was evil. She also thought I was at very least an abberant personality due to my interest in the horror genre. She was never allowed to even watch Star Trek as a child, because "it had scary music." I gave up gaming when we got married (wasn't happy about 2nd Edition D&D anyway) in May 1992 and stayed away until 1998. In the meantime, I found some online resources, such as James Young's page and religioustolerance.org and convinced her to read them. She has since sat through a bunch of game sessions and realizes that it is just a bunch of guys (and occasionally a girl or two) bs'ing around a table and pretending to be something that doesn't exist. This is progress.

Now, I can talk gaming with her and she understands. She can even give feedback on gaming-related topics. Keeping in mind how far she has come, I could not ask for more.

DM

AIM-54

First Post
Going steady with a new gamer, who's only gotten into it since she met me. She's in Boston, though, so I see her more than I get to game with her. :)

Luthien Greyspear

First Post
I'm one of the blessed few. Met her in a game, DM her in several games, she DM's me in a couple of (private) games, and we got married three years ago.

She even lets me get away with killing her and having her precious familiar welded to her charred corpse. I rule.

Married for 3 years. She does not like me gaming but she tolerates it (once a fortnight). While I would wish it otherwise, looking at some of the responses here, I could be far worse off. ;)

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Gilladian

Adventurer
I met my husband at a gaming club meeting. Our first date was for a game. We've been married waaaaayyyy too many years now, and we both still game happily together. I can't imagine not doing something so important with my spouse.

I'm the "permanent" gamer - he games because I insist on it - and he enjoys it. But I suspect he could leave it behind; I can't - or won't.

Gilladian

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads