• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gatekeepin' it real: On the natural condition of fandom

Sadras

Legend
Gatekeeping does indeed have a definition. Feel free to look it up.

To be fair the title of the thread also speaks to the relationship between gatekeeping and fandom. Broadening the gatekeeping beyond the scope of this relationship changes the discussion which I do not believe was the intention of the original poster.

Regards,
Thread Gatekeeper :)

Excellent post as always Lowkey.

Frankly the invalidation of others through any form of gatekeeping is a stain upon any hobby.
It just exposes an insane degree of pettiness and insecurity.

I would also go so far as to say gatekeeping behavior is bullying behavior.

Celebrim

Legend
Note, the term has several definitions, depending on context. In the current context, the Urban Dictionary has probably the best definition:

Right, because clearly the 'Urban Dictionary' has a more definitive definition than an actual dictionary.

I'm sure the Newspeak dictionary will need an entry as well.

You're insisting that all discrimination is gatekeeping, when that's obviously not the case at all.

No I'm not. Please cite.

There are perfectly good reasons to deny someone access to an activity, depending on all sorts of factors. However, that's not what's being discussed here.

Maybe it ought to be.

Someone decides that they don't like X, therefore they must make sure that X is not accepted into the group, since, if it is accepted into the group, that would mean that they are wrong, and since they cannot possibly be wrong, X must not be accepted into the group.

It doesn't matter how many people believe something to be right. If it is wrong, then it is still wrong. It could be that the group is right. It could be that the group is wrong. But they are never right or wrong just because they are the group.

Likewise, something is never right or wrong just because it is "gatekeeping". We can't assume that the party in the wrong is the one denying entry, nor can we assume that the party denied entry is the one wronged. We can only decide these things by an examination of the individual facts of the particular case.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
A large part of it is just the internet. Sometimes I think we should just turn it off.
I think the internet gives these guys a vehicle to intrude on many more conversation than they could before. Prior to the internet the number of conversations of a particular type that they were exposed to was very limited. Even at a bookstore, there wouldn't be that many conversations that they came across about Star Wars. And even at a game convention, most conversations weren't about who could play and why.

Along comes the internet and now people are coming from around the world and having these conversation fairly frequently and it's easy to search them out. It allows even a small number of these kinds of people to step all over discussions of whatever type that they gatekeep.

I think the internet gives these guys a vehicle to intrude on many more conversation than they could before. Prior to the internet the number of conversations of a particular type that they were exposed to was very limited. Even at a bookstore, there wouldn't be that many conversations that they came across about Star Wars. And even at a game convention, most conversations weren't about who could play and why.

Along comes the internet and now people are coming from around the world and having these conversation fairly frequently and it's easy to search them out. It allows even a small number of these kinds of people to step all over discussions of whatever type that they gatekeep.
A large part of it is just the internet. Sometimes I think we should just turn it off.
But how else would people hear about MY OPINIONS?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads