• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gatekeepin' it real: On the natural condition of fandom

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
No, It is present without “gatekeepers” nonetheless.

My argument, made less coyly, is that in the absence of gatekeepers and the atmosphere they create, there is far less reason for (and thus examples of) anyone feeling shame over being new to something.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
My argument, made less coyly, is that in the absence of gatekeepers and the atmosphere they create, there is far less reason for (and thus examples of) anyone feeling shame over being new to something.
Shame and insecurity are not logical. They don't necessarily respond to the obvious. People are weird. And by that I mean all people. We are all weirdos.

Celebrim

Legend
And does such shame spring fully formed, as if from the forehead of Zeus himself?

Reflecting on my own experience... I'd tentatively say, "Yes"? Some behavior seems to be instinctual. I don't think we are taught to lie, or brag, or feign, or generally try to win esteem or avoid mockery. I think that, even as someone who is borderline autistic and in a later age might have been diagnosed as being on some spectrum, I instinctively got that much. I had to learn that people felt more comfortable if you smiled at them, and that people liked to be looked in the eye when you were talking to them from a book, but no one had to teach me that deep rooted of human behavior.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Shame and insecurity are not logical. They don't necessarily respond to the obvious. People are weird. And by that I mean all people. We are all weirdos.

More often than not (and far more often than people realize) shame and guilt are quite deliberately manufactured. In the case of "fandom", this most often comes in the form of gatekeeping, usually based on relevant knowledge. People are always going to come in with their own baggage, true, and there's no controlling that. But we can also remove that intentional shaming in our own communities, which will, without a doubt, prevent a lot of the worst instances of it.

And let's be honest, we're all dancing around the real issue here because of forum rules on politics and what not, but we are all very, very aware of which kind of people of most often targeted by this style of gatekeeping, and that's the real issue. Because of the way role-playing games in particular function, there are other forms of gatekeeping, both insidious and boldly odious, that can happen (such as particular types of actions and consequences directed at their players).

Anoth

Adventurer
So, to pick a few groups that there might be wide spread agreement on - sexists, racists, sexual predators, and fascists?
Perfectly welcome at my table as long as we don’t talk about politics. I don’t want to know anyones political or religion beliefs. If they can do that then come on down to our flgs and play some adventure league or whatever.

Anoth

Adventurer
Sexual Predators are welcome at your table?! Seriously? I'm not sure what to say about that.
If they aren’t in jail and it’s a public place and they don’t have a court order to not be there. It’s not like their is a questionnaire to fill out. so until we start doing background checks I guess anyone can play.

For years the 'gatekeeping' was reversed for D&D (gaming in general), I am a cool kid so I am not going to be playing an a game with nerds and geeks so they were doing the gatekeeping from the otherside. Now the resentment from the players (sub consciously or otherwise) is when that cool kid (or someone they see as that 'cool kid') now comes along and wants to play - but without acknowledging that the game was good/cool all the time, that really it is only cool now because they want to play.

I am not saying this is everyone and certainly would not point the finger at anyone on Enworld(well maybe one) - but it is how some people think - the example of liking a band before it was big, often illustrates this point, people just want to be acknowledged for being 'right' all along.

Remove ads