• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Geek Confessional Thread 2024

FWIW, there is TONS of both plot and character development in Vox. It is worth giving it another go. But it is also loud and crude and if those things turn you off, they just do.

How long did it take to get there? I think I watched the first couple (maybe only 2 or 3?), and was just bored. Honestly, if it was more crude it would have been more interesting to me.

FWIW, I love Rick and Morty when they do gross stuff like the Raising Gazorpazorp or the fantasy land episodes, because I like the way that they play around with the source material and make interesting plots out of it. But things like their Hellraiser episode bore me because they didn't bother to understand the source material.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
How long did it take to get there? I think I watched the first couple (maybe only 2 or 3?), and was just bored. Honestly, if it was more crude it would have been more interesting to me.

FWIW, I love Rick and Morty when they do gross stuff like the Raising Gazorpazorp or the fantasy land episodes, because I like the way that they play around with the source material and make interesting plots out of it. But things like their Hellraiser episode bore me because they didn't bother to understand the source material.
To be fair, I dont think anyone understands the Hellraiser material.

I love Jack Kirby and regard Kamandi as one of the most imaginative projects he ever did, but when I was a kid he gave me years of nightmares with that two-issue Tracking Site story arc. It's got some great stuff and it's an effective story. Tracking Site itself has shown up in as many of my RPG campaigns as the Rock of Bral (at least once in the same campaign, even - Nexus the Infinite City was weird) and I dig the servitek designs. But man, did it get at my subconscious. The Misfit and Morticoccus were creepy enough (particularly the ghastly death scene where the Misfit discovers he's definitely not immune to the macro-germ) but mostly it's the bats. Look at these things:
9-1.jpg
10-1.jpg

I had nightmares about swarms of shrieking man-bats tearing through the walls of my bedroom on and off for ages. Really punched kid me's buttons but good. Which is weird, because I have zero problems with real bats, cartoon bats, or even the somewhat similar Man-Bat character, who's actually one of my favorite DC character designs.

But Kirby Kamandi bats? Hard pass.

At least they were far less terrifying when the new creative team tried to bring them back after Kirby left. That story was just lame, not scary in the least. Took the King's touch to bug me.
52-1.jpg

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
It's just real rough to force yourself to spend 1.5-3 hours watching something, and still not get into it.
A friend of mine recommended Game of Thrones to my spouse and I. We watched the first episode and it didn't grab us.

"You need to give it at least the first two episodes," she said. So we did. Still didn't grab us...in fact we were even less interested because we had gotten our hopes up.

"No, see, it's a slow burn!" she said, enthusiastically. "Episode three is when it really takes off."

This went on for quite some time. Three episodes became four, then five, then six, then she pivoted to seasons. "Season 2 is really where it gets good," she said. But by that time, we were done--we never started the second season. I suspect she would have said something like "Wait, no, Season Three is where it gets good. Did I say three? I meant Season Four, heh" until we had wasted entire months of our life watching the whole thing, all the while waiting for it to finally "get good."

Last edited:

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
A friend of mine recommended Game of Thrones to my spouse and I. We watched the first episode and it didn't grab us.

"You need to give it at least the first two episodes," she said. So we did. Still didn't grab us...in fact we were even less-interested, because we had gotten our hopes up.

"No, see, it's a slow burn!" she said, enthusiastically. "Episode three is when it really takes off."

This went on for quite some time. Three episodes became four, then five, then six, then she pivoted to seasons. "Season 2 is really where it gets good," she said. But by that time, we were done--we never started the second season. I suspect she would have said something like "Wait, no, Season Three is where it gets good. Did I say three? I meant Season Four, heh" until we had wasted entire months of our life waiting for it to finally "get good."
Sometimes it is, and sometimes it isnt. Folks here at EN World told me Person of Interest was really good. I tried for much longer than I normally would and it never grabbed me.

This is why so many anime fans swear by the three episode rule. So shows take a bit to get going.

Of course, with lots of anime you have the problem in the other direction. The first few episodes are really interesting and pull you in, then it just drags out the middle forever.

My spouse and I started Attack On Titan and liked it. But we got about a third of the way through with the show and gave up. We're contemplating if it's worth it to just fast forward to the last season.

Meech17

WotC President Runner-Up.

"You need to give it at least the first two episodes," she said. So we did. Still didn't grab us...in fact we were even less-interested, because we had gotten our hopes up.

This went on for quite some time. Three episodes became four, then five, then six, then she pivoted to seasons. "Season 2 is really where it gets good," she said. But by that time, we were done--we never started the second season. I suspect she would have said something like "Wait, no, Season Three is where it gets good. Did I say three? I meant Season Four, heh" until we had wasted entire months of our life waiting for it to finally "get good."
That's such a hard line. If someone watches a whole season of something and doesn't like it I'd really struggle to keep suggesting it.

I do know that some shows have weak seasons, but end up being great overall though. I love Mr. Robot, but season 2.. and part of season 3 aren't stellar.. And that's almost half the show! But it ends up being worth it overall, imo.

If you weren't into GoT in the first season, you weren't going to like it at all.. That show got me pretty hooked from the get go.. I think I was iffy on episode one, but I was full steam ahead by the end of the second episode

Remove ads