D&D 5E General PHB Speculation Thread [+]

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
For the Backgrounds they can present them several ways-- the current 5E14 way of giving us a chapter of pre-made Backgrounds and then additional rules to create our own... the UA way of making the create-your-own be the default method and then give a couple examples of pre-made ones
I think it’s very very likely they will change the presentation to better show that making your own background is the rule.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I think it’s very very likely they will change the presentation to better show that making your own background is the rule.
Honestly, my favorite use for the Backgrounds is to pick a sample one, but to change out any elements that I feel like (ASI, Feat, Language, whatever). It's the quickest way. I prefer that with equipment and spell selection too. I really liked the Playtest way of saying "start with these spells or pick your own".

It's a happy medium (IMO) between building-from-scratch and having things chosen for you: Pick from a curated list, but swap out anything you like.

doctorbadwolf

Honestly, my favorite use for the Backgrounds is to pick a sample one, but to change out any elements that I feel like (ASI, Feat, Language, whatever). It's the quickest way. I prefer that with equipment and spell selection too. I really liked the Playtest way of saying "start with these spells or pick your own".

It's a happy medium (IMO) between building-from-scratch and having things chosen for you: Pick from a curated list, but swap out anything you like.
That’s how most stuff is in my game. You get bonus attribute points from your ancestry and archetype, and both also give signature skill, all of which are X and Y or choose two that speak to your natural aptitudes and proclivities.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I’m not sure what you’re trying to communicate here.
The section on how to make your own background will be dwarfed by each individual background, which gets a half page.

I'm stoked for all the background art and I expect we'll get more backgrounds than previous.

doctorbadwolf

I don't expect we'll get 4+ pages about how to make a custom background.
I don’t know why it’s so extremely difficult to just actually say the point.

Why is this a behavior that even exists? Just say it. 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, number of pages doesn’t determine anything other than number of pages.

Remove ads