D&D 5E General PHB Speculation Thread [+]

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I think, looking at the 2014 playtest, we will get a lot of strange changes in design or more things will be reverted then we expect. I expect some classes to be better for it, and other classes to be just as lackluster.

My only real interest in the new PHB is that the layout is improved. I really, really hate the layout of the original PHB and have never once enjoyed reading through it or exploring it. This is unique to the 5E PHB; many other RPGs I enjoy reading and exploring in this manner. However, I think this is the one thing I'm pretty certain will 100% happen and is, imo, a good enough reason to print a new PHB by itself.
After ten years, it's worth buying another PH with very similar information if the layouts better?

Sulicius

Adventurer
I am hopeful for a better CR system, and monsters with more varied and interesting abilities
We’ll probably not see that in the PHB, though!

I am very skeptical about them fixing how badly monsters scale in the higher tiers (they become pushovers) and how the CR system works. It does look like the latest books have monsters who are a bit stronger, but as usual it is only lower tier monsters.

Now what we will probably get in the 2024 release is an appendix with all beasts available for druids to wildshape into. The latest UA update told us that druids will be limited only to the PHB. I really hope they get more significant options at higher levels for the moon druid. On the other hand I love a generic stat block for wildshape even more. Obviously not the version they showed us in the UA playtest packet.

I expect to see lots of changes I love, and some I don’t like, as seen in the content from the playtests. I’m optimistic.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
What do you have against Gygaxain prose???
Nothing! It’s actually the main thing I like about Gygax, and I think it’s unfairly maligned.

“Get to the point/actually say the thing ffs” is correct wrt conversations. It’s dead wrong in storytelling or any other evocative writing. (Well, you should eventually say the thing sometimes, but it isn’t imperative)

Remove ads