D&D 5E General PHB Speculation Thread [+]

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Yes, especially if that means new art.

Agreed.

While I doubt that they will go in a completely new direction, I think that you can't overstate the importance of evocative art. One of the reasons that I did my prior art threads for D&D is because I believe that almost every player* has encountered some art in D&D that has inspired them, made them want to play, or filled them with wonder.

It's different for different people, of course. But art speaks to us in a way that prose never can.

*I say almost because, um, a comment in this thread? :)

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Agreed.

While I doubt that they will go in a completely new direction, I think that you can't overstate the importance of evocative art. One of the reasons that I did my prior art threads for D&D is because I believe that almost every player* has encountered some art in D&D that has inspired them, made them want to play, or filled them with wonder.

It's different for different people, of course. But art speaks to us in a way that prose never can.

*I say almost because, um, a comment in this thread? :)
Hey, I like art just fine, but it's not more important than the words, and its not worth it to me to buy a book with new art if the words are pretty much the same. I don't think that's all that strange. I'll get inspired by art in books with words I haven't already read and own thank you.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Hey, I like art just fine, but it's not more important than the words, and its not worth it to me to buy a book with new art if the words are pretty much the same. I don't think that's all that strange. I'll get inspired by art in books with words I haven't already read and own thank you.

Well that's you, of course.

But there's a whole new generation of people that have yet to play D&D, and the new PHB will be their first introduction to the game.

So I certainly hope that there is amazing new art for them. And given that many of us olds will also be purchasing the new PHB, I'd like to see some killer new art as well.

Micah Sweet

Well that's you, of course.

But there's a whole new generation of people that have yet to play D&D, and the new PHB will be their first introduction to the game.

So I certainly hope that there is amazing new art for them. And given that many of us olds will also be purchasing the new PHB, I'd like to see some killer new art as well.
Fair enough. I'm not buying the same book again with new art, and what other people decide to buy isn't really relevant to me.

Undrave

Legend
Prediction

With the Backgrounds section reduced via the new Background system, some other sections will get more space.
More spells, obviously. It's the most important part of the game! /s
“Get to the point/actually say the thing ffs” is correct wrt conversations. It’s dead wrong in storytelling or any other evocative writing. (Well, you should eventually say the thing sometimes, but it isn’t imperative)
I don't think game rules need to be evocative.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
After ten years, it's worth buying another PH with very similar information if the layouts better?
Yes.

I would by the 2014 rules again if the only change was better layout and organization. But I would also like some rewriting to make presentation of rules less word and more easily referenceable. I would like in-context tips and rules variations and more cross referencing. It might make it less fun as a book to read, but make it more useful as a manual.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Wow. Art and layout are the least important parts of an RPG product to me, in that order.
In a book, they are critical for me. Layout for usability, art to make it enjoyable to peruse. Layout make a huge difference in how easy it is to find and digest information on the printed page.

The best TTRPG books are beautiful and useful.

That doesn't mean that I don't care about how well designed the system is. That's the base requirement. The MOST important thing to me is a well-designed and play-tested system that accomplishes its intended game-play goals. But why stop there? While it wouldn't be a bad idea for a TTRPG to offer pocket book guides and online tools that eschew art focus on utility over all else. But I would still want the more fluffed out, aesthetically pleasing printed version.

Micah Sweet

In a book, they are critical for me. Layout for usability, art to make it enjoyable to peruse. Layout make a huge difference in how easy it is to find and digest information on the printed page.

The best TTRPG books are beautiful and useful.

That doesn't mean that I don't care about how well designed the system is. That's the base requirement. The MOST important thing to me is a well-designed and play-tested system that accomplishes its intended game-play goals. But why stop there? While it wouldn't be a bad idea for a TTRPG to offer pocket book guides and online tools that eschew art focus on utility over all else. But I would still want the more fluffed out, aesthetically pleasing printed version.
Like I said, I like art fine, but I'm not buying a $50-$70 book again if art is the main thing different about it. I just don't care that much.

Remove ads