• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Getting tired of hearing "Grognard" and "Nostalgia"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt James

Game Developer
Might I humbly suggest that those who do not like the heat stop lighting and then fanning the flames?

I prefer the flame-thrower! :)

Flamethrower.jpg

OnlineDM

Adventurer
Since I'm the person who used the word "nostalgia" in the other thread, I thought I should chime in.

My particular use of the word in that case was where another person expressed a concern that if more people move to DDI (specifically the Character Builder), Wizards of the Coast might stop printing books. The other person said that reading D&D books was one of the few motivations some people had to read as children, and if there were no D&D books, people in that situation in the future wouldn't be motivated to read as others had been in the past.

That argument didn't resonate with me as a reason to try to keep D&D as a primarily book-based game rather than moving more to DDI (which I happen to like). It sounded like nostalgia - someone thinking fondly of their youth and reading D&D books and being concerned that if D&D books were less common that future youth wouldn't have that same experience. That didn't strike me as a very effective argument to neuter the Character Builder (which is what the other person was advocating), and so I said I was not moved by nostalgia.

I apologize if I used an offensive word. I've never called anyone a grognard. I don't think nostalgia is a dirty word; I just don't want people advocating a significant change solely because of nostalgia.

Also, I DEFENDED Pathfinder in that thread. I think Pathfinder is an excellent game and I play it myself, in addition to 4e. I also like 1e and 3e and 3.5e and GURPS and Savage Worlds and Call of Cthulhu. I'm sure I'll like 2e and other non-D&D games as soon as I get a chance to play them (but I'm still pretty new to RPGs and haven't gotten to play too many games yet).

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
Since I'm the person who used the word "nostalgia" in the other thread, I thought I should chime in.

My particular use of the word in that case was where another person expressed a concern that if more people move to DDI (specifically the Character Builder), Wizards of the Coast might stop printing books. The other person said that reading D&D books was one of the few motivations some people had to read as children, and if there were no D&D books, people in that situation in the future wouldn't be motivated to read as others had been in the past.

That argument didn't resonate with me as a reason to try to keep D&D as a primarily book-based game rather than moving more to DDI (which I happen to like). It sounded like nostalgia - someone thinking fondly of their youth and reading D&D books and being concerned that if D&D books were less common that future youth wouldn't have that same experience. That didn't strike me as a very effective argument to neuter the Character Builder (which is what the other person was advocating), and so I said I was not moved by nostalgia.

I apologize if I used an offensive word. I've never called anyone a grognard. I don't think nostalgia is a dirty word; I just don't want people advocating a significant change solely because of nostalgia.

Also, I DEFENDED Pathfinder in that thread. I think Pathfinder is an excellent game and I play it myself, in addition to 4e. I also like 1e and 3e and 3.5e and GURPS and Savage Worlds and Call of Cthulhu. I'm sure I'll like 2e and other non-D&D games as soon as I get a chance to play them (but I'm still pretty new to RPGs and haven't gotten to play too many games yet).

Actually DM it had nothing to do with what you posted. It was mainly Dan and others like him that dismiss other people as grognards and liking previous editions as nothing but nostalgia instead of actually liking the old systems because of the system itself.

Erudite Frog

First Post
i see them as 2 different games. its like shout about which is better- monopoly or chutes and ladders. foreverslayer seems to be getting into it in several threads. not sure why

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
Not my burden to prove. Though, it is odd that you spend so much time here in the 4e and on the WotC forums. Ya know, for someone that does not like the edition.

But your so quick to try and dismiss what i say without proof.

Actually I spend a lot of time in the General Forums as well as the previous editions forum.

What are you trying to do anyway, dismiss what I say even further?

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
i see them as 2 different games. its like shout about which is better- monopoly or chutes and ladders. foreverslayer seems to be getting into it in several threads. not sure why

They are two different games but there are some people that don't seem to understand that there are others who like other games because of the system.

the Jester

Legend
What, exactly, is the purpose of this thread in relation to 4e? Why is it not in General? Is there a good reason, or are you trolling to try to start an edition war? Because that's about the only place I can see it going.

There doesn't seem to be anything to discuss here. Some people dismiss anti-4e folks' opinions as driven by nostalgia. OK, true enough.

...what's to discuss?

"I don't like the game this forum is about, and it's not about nostalgia. Nyah, nyah!" isn't the start of a reasoned discussion, it's a declaration of an opinion.

But your so quick to try and dismiss what i say without proof.

It's nobody's job but yours to prove your thesis.

Actually I spend a lot of time in the General Forums as well as the previous editions forum.

Again, doesn't this thread seem to fit better in General? What does it have to do with 4e, other than letting you poke your finger in the eye of its fans?

What are you trying to do anyway, dismiss what I say even further?

Sounds to me like he's looking to see if you can back up what you say instead of just asserting it and assuming everyone will go along with you. That's not a reliable assumption, so you do need to back up what you say with examples if you want to persuade anyone.

Matt James

Game Developer
Quick way to observe it:

Start a new account on the WotC boards. Start a thread saying something positive about Pathfinder. Watch the 4vengers pour of the woodwork. ;)

No doubt. They exist on either side. That agree with wholeheartedly.

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
What, exactly, is the purpose of this thread in relation to 4e? Why is it not in General? Is there a good reason, or are you trolling to try to start an edition war? Because that's about the only place I can see it going.

If thats all you can see then I would suggest getting your eyes checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads