Greenflame Blade Cantrip from SCAG, Courtesy of EXTRA LIFE

Cool. How did you get the link? It's not showing up as live on either the Extra Life page or the D&D website page. The wording of the cantrip feels a little awkward to me but I think I like the overall effect. If I'm reading it correctly, it essentially works like this: 1st level 1st target: normal attack effects 2nd target: ability mod fire dmg 5th level 1st target: normal attack effects...

Cool. How did you get the link? It's not showing up as live on either the Extra Life page or the D&D website page.

The wording of the cantrip feels a little awkward to me but I think I like the overall effect. If I'm reading it correctly, it essentially works like this:

1st level
1st target: normal attack effects
2nd target: ability mod fire dmg

5th level
1st target: normal attack effects + 1d8 fire dmg
2nd target: 1d8+mod fire dmg

11th level
1st target: normal attack effects + 2d8 fire dmg
2nd target: 2d8+mod fire dmg

17th level
1st target: normal attack effects + 3d8 fire dmg
2nd target: 3d8+mod fire dmg

Is that right?

I like it. There are two kinds of subclasses in 5e: those that give you an viable scaling at-will weapon attack, and those that give you a viable scaling at-will magic (cantrip) attack. Prior to greenflame blade if you were in a weapon subclass you could take Magic Initiate and pick a viable at-will magic attack (such as eldritch blast). If you were in a cantrip subclass, there was no easy way to gain a viable at-will weapon attack. With greenflame blade--now there is. A great imbalance has been rectified.

It's also a pretty nifty choice for eldritch knights and high level valor bards.

I like it. There are two kinds of subclasses in 5e: those that give you an viable scaling at-will weapon attack, and those that give you a viable scaling at-will magic (cantrip) attack.

And then there's the monk, whose attacks basically don't scale at all past level 2. :)

(3 attacks goes to 4 at level 5, and the weapon dice get slightly larger, but that's about it.)

I'm not complaining BTW--not every class has to be offensive combat-centric. Monks are best IMO as scouts and support characters, and their main role in combat is to plink away with arrows until such time as they need to make a Stunning Strike or four on a target of opportunity.

aarduini

Explorer
You still had to make the attack roll to hit the target. Thunderclap is a Thunder effect that hits every target adjacent to you as long as they fail their save. I don't see much difference.

Xeviat

Hero
And then there's the monk, whose attacks basically don't scale at all past level 2. :)

(3 attacks goes to 4 at level 5, and the weapon dice get slightly larger, but that's about it.)

I'm not complaining BTW--not every class has to be offensive combat-centric. Monks are best IMO as scouts and support characters, and their main role in combat is to plink away with arrows until such time as they need to make a Stunning Strike or four on a target of opportunity.

Eh ... the monk has 2 attacks at 1st, and it jumps to 3 attacks at 5th. They also have the option to add an attack at 2nd, and they are able to add that 1 attack more often per short rest as they gain levels because they gain more ki. They get enough Ki to be able to use that extra attack on every round eventually and still have some left over. Whether or not that compares to a fighter's 3rd and 4th attack, or a paladin's Improved Divine Smite, I don't know; the scaling monk weapon damage may help with that.

Yunru

Banned
Banned

By that logic the Fighter's attacks don't scale period. I mean 1/rest thet go from 1 to 2 at second level, but that doesn't count. They go from 1 to 2 permanently at level 5, but that doesn't count. Ditto 11, 17 and 20.

At least the Monk gets die increases and treated as magical :p

ClockworkNinja

Explorer

As they gain levels, the Monk gets more attacks and those attacks get more damaging, how does that not count as scaling damage?

I have issues with the monk, but this isn't one of them.

Remove ads

Remove ads