log in or register to remove this ad

 

GREYHAWK, THE GOLDEN ERA CY963: CHAPTER THREE

Waynan

Adventurer
Supporter
"Well, that's a gem of a different cut."

Tam-Tam whispers; but loud enough for those nearest him to hear. He then gives a visible shiver.

"Looks like a nasty reception down there, folks."
 

log in or register to remove this ad

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM: For Player Reference:


Well Diagram 001.jpg
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Lathir interject.
"If zombies are impaled upon spikes down there, it means that they must have been up here before and something drove them or attracted them over the ledge."
 


Sylvar B.

Explorer
Sylvar draws his Naginata, walks behind the Orc, and levels it at his neck...well Orc fiend. While we appreciate your assistance we can't very well have you running off and bringing reinforcements now can we? So I give you this offer, I can give you a clean death, or you can swear fealty to The Raiders (Sylvar looks at Respen with a grin and winks at him) and join us.

GM: +1,000 xp to Sylvar for giving an NPC a real chance to prove himself.
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Sylvar Recruits A Party Member!

The Orc seems surprised by Sylvar's offer, but simultaneously pleased. "If you're serious, Elfling, I shall take you up on it. I have served Gurrok Mak with loyalty and steadfastness, because it was the wish of my father. In fact, it was his dying wish. I told him that I would serve the Mak for as long as I was unsure of my life's destiny. For a time, I thought that perhaps my destiny was to become a war leader and hero of the Pomarj Empire; but lately, I have felt restless, and uncertain. Gurrok's orders no longer make sense, and he has his army scattered to the four corners of the Flanaess, looking for magical artifacts, or trying to recruit hideous creatures like Manticores and Chimeras. I even hear tell that he is trying to make deals with Dragons. He is obsessed with power, and I feel that he no longer cares as much for the lives of his men, the way he once did. I don't like the thought of being expendable. I also don't like the fact that the demoness has been in control of my squad for more than a week, and no one came looking for us. There were two other squads with us, exploring the woods. They surely know that we are missing by now. But the other sergeants in my company do not like to share glory. Ever since the schism, things have been different. When the other Orcs left, the ones who remained in the Pomarj, the ones who remained loyal to the True Gruumsh, began to change. They became more authoritarian, more despotic, more totalitarian. The army that my father served in, the army that I heard stories of as a child, no longer exists. The army that I served in was alien compared to what my father spoke of. Our kind has never been what you would call moral, ethical, or honorable; but in the past, they were more loyal to one another, and always put Gruumsh first, Empire second, Family third, and Tribe fourth. Nowadays, it's Gruumsh first, Empire second, and that's it. There are no more tribes, except on ceremonial days, and only in namesake. Family is no longer a concern at all, except that the family exists to serve the needs of the Empire. We live in a different age, and I for one, am sick of it. My destiny is NOT to die at the tip of your blade, Elfling. But I can see now that my destiny no longer lies with the Empire, either. And if I am no longer part of the Empire, then I can, by extension, no longer follow Gruumsh. Perhaps the other Orcs were right; perhaps the True Gruumsh is Marek after all. All I know for sure is that the Gruumsh that the Mak serves doesn't feel like the right choice. And I am not so blind as to follow the Mak over the edge of the cliff that he is most certainly headed toward. I will join you, if you let me, and I will swear fealty to your leader for a term of one year, in return for sparing my life. And I will serve you with complete loyalty for that term, perhaps even longer. The way I see it, one year will be sufficient time for me to decide whether or not my destiny is intertwined with yours. If serving you feels right, I shall remain your steadfast comrade until the bitter end; if not, then I shall part from you as a friend, and seek my own destiny, wherever that may lead me. What say you? Does one year of service, with the possibility of more, sound fair?"
 

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Sylvar wasn't expecting that outcome...He lowers the naginata letting the blade rest on the ground, looks at Respen, gives him a surprised look and shrugs.
 
Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Lathir, thoroughly impressed with the Orc's speech, stands silently for a moment.
"That is a very laudable response. Sylvar, I am good with his word."

Walking toward the edge of the well, Lathir suddenly stops.
"I knew something was bothering me. I no longer hear that humming sound of the portal we used to arrive. I suspect we have lost our connection!"
 

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Sylvar concentrates on the rope...
Give attention and unwind
Uncoil as I demand
Release the ties that bind


Sylvar helps the Orc stand, offers his hand in welcome to the party. Then he picks up the rope neatly coils it and stows it in his pack.
 

Diarmadhim

Explorer
Clearing my throat at the unexpected change of events, I quietly ask, "Has anyone else noticed it doesn't sound like the portal is active anymore? If it proves true upon inspection, we really only have one option - forward, or in this case, down," I end with a slight grin.
 

Aust Thale

Explorer
Respen & Vale React To Events Unfolding

RESPEN:

Respen eyes Sylvar's gambit with the orc and grins back at him when it pays off. Lucky or simply good? He quietly chuckles until he realizes the portal noise is silent, and then, as he is contemplating Tam's observations of the well, he fully realizes what that silence might mean.

~ There are undead in the hole. The sun will set with an hour or two. And we might have very well lost our method of egress. On a positive note, we appear to have a new friend. Hope he can fight. ~

Respen concentrates, attempting to ascertain whether the magic portal is closed completely, and if so, whether it is a local disruption or whether Vega turned it off.

OOC: Rolz is down; Scout's Honor on physical roll of dice until new dice room is suggested. Will Save = 1d20+6 = 10+6=16


VALE:

" I agree. We either drop down hole, or we start out of here quickly and try to be out of tree cover by dark. I can create a way for us to hide during the night, but given we've lost our magical means out of here, I'm concerned that might be affected as well. "


~ This little adventure is turning quickly. The orc appears a welcome addition to the party. I will treat him accordingly. But if he strays to the 'old' ways... ~

Vale also reacts very concerned upon the comments from Lathir and Dewydd about the portal closing. "What?!? We have another hand or two on the clock before dusk. We don't need to be in the open when dusk hits. We brought no mounts either. Food and drink are not a concern. I can provide that if anyone failed to bring rations. However, if we break the alarm, methinks we'll need to move quickly." At Dewydd's suggestion to go down the hole, Vale grimaces and looks at his axe. "Oh this should go so well," he deadpans in dripping Dwarven sarcasm.
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
VALE:
" I agree. We either drop down hole, or we start out of here quickly and try to be out of tree cover by dark. I can create a way for us to hide during the night, but given we've lost our magical means out of here, I'm concerned that might be affected as well. "
Lathir responds to Vale.
"I am good either way. So how about the rest of you? Do we go and return another day or do we see just how this rabbit hole will take us?"
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
Respen, you are certain that you are not being scried. There is no magical sensor anywhere near here, invisible or otherwise. You feel confident that you would sense it, especially in surroundings such as these, where its presence would feel even more alien against the backdrop of undisturbed nature.


GM:
The portal is certainly gone, and the most probable cause, at least in the minds of the party's mystics (Lathir and Respen) is that it was shut off from Vega's end.


Thallok says, "I've no provisions or equipment to speak of; that witch fed us with her foul arts, summoning some sort of pasty, tasteless, gruel to sustain us. But I will gladly lend my sword to whatever cause that the lot of ye deem worthy. Are we agreed then? The well? Perhaps the Elfling can use his magical rope to aid us? If it can tie me up by itself, then might it not attach itself to something solid?"
 

Sylvar B.

Explorer
The rope itself is not magical only the words I speak to make it move. Although, I won't be able to use that particular spell again until morning. It is as if there is a higher power that will not allow it. Sylvar hands the rope to Thallok mitt hus er ditt hus, (My house is your house) help yourself, I'm not very good at tying knots.
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Lathir engaged the party.
"I am not familiar with the operation of the alarm runes. If it is feasible to walk out into the wood and back. I am sure we can retrieve a log to place over the well opening, then tie the rope to that."
 

Aust Thale

Explorer
Lathir engaged the party.
"I am not familiar with the operation of the alarm runes. If it is feasible to walk out into the wood and back. I am sure we can retrieve a log to place over the well opening, then tie the rope to that."

Respen:
"If we set off the runes, we need to be willing to move quickly and retreat. I am sure there are logs or trees with sturdy branches to cut down that are within the perimeter. I have some rope and gear that I dropped when we entered the place. It's in the bushes. Rope and hook, torches, a crowbar and hammer. And flasks of oil. Who else has rope or gear?"

An idea crosses Respen's mind, and he smiles ear to ear. "Dewydd, you have the Ring of Feather Falling? That's our way in. Dewydd mentioned this in conversation a week or so ago. We each use it to descend to the floor below, with fishing line or even threaded rope through it to pull back up to the next person. Weight isn't an issue. We can move our gear down the well as well.

The question is, 'how do we handle the undead and the stakes at the bottom of the well?' I say we take the other bows and split the arrows, throw oil and a lit torch down on top of that group, and use the light at the bottom to pick up any undead we come across until they don't approach the opening. Then we descend. This will work. It'll take a half hour, but it'll work.
"

And with that, Respen awaits responses from the rest of the party.
 

Waynan

Adventurer
Supporter
Tam-Tam, still holding his rope, looks at the others thinking: I understand I'm the new guy here; well, now with the orc, the next to new guy,
but I've been here waiting to get some help with going down this well for a good fifteen minutes or so. Sigh --- big people. Always acting so important. Ah well, they're good to have around in a scrap.
.

Tam-Tam taps his foot on the well's lip where he has been standing for many minutes waiting to go down the well.

"Ahem. Pardon me --- Can we go down, now? Please?"
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Lathir Takes Action

Tam-Tam, still holding his rope, looks at the others,
"Ahem. Pardon me --- Can we go down, now? Please?"
Lathir leans over the ledge of the well and tosses down his halfspear.
"I could not agree more."

Lathir hops up and appears to be going to launch himself into the abyss. A sure death for the less than dexterous Druid; but instead, in mid action he shift to the form of a gibbon. The howler monkey is well known for its disproportionately long arms and its gifted ability to climb. Lathir/Gibbon swing over the ledge and begins descending.

Gibbon.jpg
 

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Sylvar walks over to the edge of the well and looks over. He looks at Respen, I'm still not sure this is the best idea, I think it would be prudent to find another way in, but if we must I like your idea of using the ring.
 
Last edited:

Waynan

Adventurer
Supporter
Tam-Tam sees the Monkey that was once/is still Lathir and says, a bit admiringly:

"Well, that's different."
 

Halloween Horror For 5E

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top