Grognards?

WayneLigon

Adventurer
The Grumpy Celt said:
I'm not 40. I don't have a beard. I like what I've seen of the mechanics. I just don't like what the did to "update" the Forgotten Realms. The rest seems to be peaches and cream, so far at any rate.

And I think the grognard's need a theme song.

Boy, the way Glenn Miller played. Songs that made the Hit Parade.
Guys like us, we had it made. Those were the days.
Didn't need no welfare state. Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee, our old LaSalle ran great. Those were the days.

And you know who you were then. Girls were girls and men were men.
Mister, we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again.
People seemed to be content. Fifty dollars paid the rent.
Freaks were in a circus tent. Those were the days.

Take a little Sunday spin, go to watch the Dodgers win.
Have yourself a dandy day that cost you under a fin.
Hair was short and skirts were long. Kate Smith really sold a song.
I don't know just what went wrong. Those Were The Days.

:)

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
DamnedChoir said:
Grognards, to me, are those old, 40something guys with big beards who sit in the back of game stores playing wargames and insist that Shadowrun is unplayable and it's all about this brand-new Tactical simulation of D-Day from a tiny indie basement publisher, and they laugh when you talk about White-Wolf, derisively.

I'm a grognard by the longtime definition since I started in the early seventies with wargames and boardgames and tactical miniatures games. However, after D&D came out in 1974, I started playing that also and have switched to the newer edition (OD&D, AD&D, AD&D 2E, 3E, 3.5E) as they came along. I never gave up playing wargames and boardgames and tactical miniatures games, though. Never played Shadowrun. I grow out my beard once every couple/few Novembers but shave it before winter is over. Only tried WW games a couple of times. Still pushing lead with good frequency. I'm liking the new minis game from Osprey called Field of Glory and looking to build a couple or armies for it. Great fun!

Last edited:

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
WayneLigon said:
Due in part to my job, I despise people who refuse to change simply because they've always done something a particular way and don't want to change to a better way of doing things. They're deadwood who need to be fired, so the rest of us can actually get something done and grow our agency. We have people who have been settled in the same position since the place was formed 32 years ago, and see no reason to hit a lick at a snake; they do just enough that they can't be fired for cause. They long since topped out in the salary for their position, so it doesn't matter how badly they do on their evaluation. I hate them. They sit there and suck up resources that could better be used on others; we could hire three guys in their 20's for what one of these parasites makes and actually be able to meet some deadlines.

Thank you so much for this post of pure hate and condescension. It sums up why some people can be insulted by the word.

I am a grognard, but I liked the idea of a new edition, until I saw the previews' contents.

Orcus

First Post
I am a grognard (heck, I am looking at the white box sitting on my shelf as I type this), and I am so geeked for 4E I cant stand it!!!!

I've compiled all the mosnter stats. I've got my web-compiled conditions list. I am calling friends to run some 4E demos!

I'm even starting to do some monster statting for my freebie adventure I am writing, now that I have seen the gnolls...

So count this grognard officially on the 4E train.

Clark

JoseFreitas

First Post
WayneLigon said:
(...)
D&D should have had a real skill system at least a decade ago. It should have de-emphasized or eliminated Vancian magic long ago.

So we should agree to disagree. Personally, and I've played AD&D since 1982, and various wargames since 1979, I think that a proper skill system and dropping of the Vancian system is exactly what AD&D did not need. Not only that, from a marketing point of view it would have been a bad move to make AD&D more like other games. But those are simply disagreements on rules design philosophy, as well as on what constitutes the best role-playing experience, from one's point of view. They are not reasons to disrespect or insult someone. I don't think you're an idiot because you prefer a skill-driven game or a non-Vancian magic system. I simply think that you have different opinions than mine on what is the proper way to hanlde AD&D.

I've never really made the transition from 1st to 2e or 3rd, but it didn't stop me from buying most rulebooks of those editions, to mine for ideas, or to simply adopt some rules from them as houserules for my game. The fact I didn't transition to 3rd doesn't mean that I don't think it is in fact a superior design than 1st. Of course, the issue here is whether "superior design" is a better thing for a game like AD&D. I happen to think it is not, and that it is preferable to have a more clunky, less logical, more organic game that encourages DMs to create houserules and improvise rulings on the fly, rather than handing them all the answer in an easy package. But I have nothing against people who do not agree with this. In fact, I play other games where I prefer to have a more detailed set of rules, or a structurally well designed system that has one core mechanic. I play GURPS on a regular basis and have nothing against it.

I am also aware that the younger generation of gamers may not exactly have the same taste than I have for adventures or rules. Well, tough. For me or them.

But....

Due in part to my job, I despise people who refuse to change simply because they've always done something a particular way and don't want to change to a better way of doing things. They're deadwood who need to be fired, so the rest of us can actually get something done and grow our agency. We have people who have been settled in the same position since the place was formed 32 years ago, and see no reason to hit a lick at a snake; they do just enough that they can't be fired for cause. They long since topped out in the salary for their position, so it doesn't matter how badly they do on their evaluation. I hate them. They sit there and suck up resources that could better be used on others; we could hire three guys in their 20's for what one of these parasites makes and actually be able to meet some deadlines.

1. What you're describing seems to me to be more of a failure of your management than a failure of the people you're talking about, the "deadwood" so to speak. I'd probably fire the managers first to see why it got to that point.

2. "Deadwood" still have wives, kids, mortgages, and it sounds harsh on your part, perhaps even callous, to say that they need to be fired. There are certainly reasons why it got to that point, but the truth is that perhaps in 20 years you'll be in the same place and would resent being called deadwood and fired.

3. The terms or explanations you're giving for why you would fire these people, are EXACTLY the same ones that Loraine Williams once used to describe the "deadwood" like me who did not want to transition to the new game. Idiots, who were standing in the way of progress, and preventing her company from reaping the profits she just so deserved (she wasn't talking about me, obviously, as I never told her I didn't play 2nd edition). Peter Adkinson once told me that he had tried to implement a dept. at WotC to handle contact and support for gamers playing older versions of the game, but he was vetted. I think that was a damn pity, because the older gamers still represent a potential source of revenue, if only because they'd probably be willing to buy 2-3 AD&D 1st edition modules a year, which could easily and cheaply be produced by WotC, at an almost infinite benefit in terms of goodwill (as opposed to the present situation).

You say you hate people who do not want to change simply because they've always done things the same way. Well, I say I am suspicious of people who want to change just for the sake of changing, and set up systems that depend on continuous change to survive.

Why should we have to switch systems every few years or so? It's hard to deny that the system has worked for a long time, and was simply in need of some revisions in specific areas. Perhaps an optional skill system. 2nd edition NWP didn't work. Well, why not create a new system? In my opinion, for example, the reversal of ACs and hit bonuses in 3rd is an excellent example of a change that didn't significantly change the system but made great sense from a design point of view. But why make other changes, just for change's sake? Presently, a new gamer entering the game knows he will be required to change systems again (and buy the whole thing again) in a few years. Is this good advertising? I realize that few people continue gaming after 4-5 years time, but some do (I have been playing for 25 years). What you're really saying is that you don't care about long-term customer relationship, and you're willing to forget about someone after he has bought from you the first 1-2 years of products. You're not a long term customer, you're a source of revenue, and since you'll stop buying from us in 3 years, we'll ditch you right there and then.

I have to say I object to almost everything you said as well as the way you said it. But I acknowledge that your opinions in terms of editions or rules are other ways, and legitimate ways, of looking at things. I am simply saying that EVEN if you were right in terms of "innovation", "better game design" or whatever, the attitude of those who criticize grognards is still wrong. This is a game. It's not some life-and-death technology or financial deal for us. It's A GAME. We' re supposed to have fun, and thus it's entirely acceptable for me or anyone to stick to an older, less perfect design of the rules, if it's what we're comfortable with and what we're used to playing and what makes our game flow better. We're in our rights to state why we believe the older versions of the game were better and the newer ones probably unneeded, except as sources of revenue. Just because a lot of people started gaming with 3e and a few old timers switched to it doesn't mean that everybody has to switch. It doesn't also mean that the company who put out earlier versions of the game couldn't have continued providing some level of support for it.

JRRNeiklot

First Post
JoseFreitas said:
So we should agree to disagree. Personally, and I've played AD&D since 1982, and various wargames since 1979, I think that a proper skill system and dropping of the Vancian system is exactly what AD&D did not need.

I concur. Skill systems and whatnot are not bad game design, I just don't think they belong in D&D. I detest what I've seen of 4th edition, but if it was an entirely new game called ANYTHING besides D&D, I might even pick it up and give it a try. Hell, I might even like it. But it ain't D&D and shouldn't be passed off as such.

Last edited:

Henry

Autoexreginated
Boy, the way Steve Miller gamed; Hair & Metal bands still raged.
Guys like us, we had it made; those were the days.
No healing surges in the mix; Save or die or 3d6.
Tomb of Horrors was just for kicks; Those were the days.

And you know who you were then; Elves were elves, not Eladrin.
Mister, we could use a man like Gary Gygax again.
Wizards had one spell to spend; Fly spells could just suddenly end.
Owlbears had an auto-rend. Those were the days!

Last edited:

Eldragon

First Post
JRRNeiklot said:
I detest what I've seen of 4th edition, but if it was an entirely new game called ANYTHING besides D&D, I might even pick it up and give it a try. Hell, I might even like it. But it ain't D&D and shouldn't be passed off as such.
That pretty much sums up what 4e is to me (and probably a lot of other grognards). It just does not feel like D&D. Its a different game altogether.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
JRRNeiklot said:
But it ain't D&D and shouldn't be passed off as such.

You see, this is why arguments start.

It is pretty clear that we, the gaming public, don't really allow WotC to define what D&D is. If we cannot allow the owner of the property to define it, we sure shouldn't accept that any Tom, Dick, or Harry can define it either.

We can easily accept that 4e isn't what you want from D&D. That is entirely personal opinion. But people will not accept your definition stated a objective fact, and to defend their own definitions, they must attack yours, and an argument ensues. From arguments comes anger, and lingering annoyance, and thus we develop belligerent camps.

It is my considered opinion that much of the ill-will comes from people being entirely unclear (both in their prose and in their own minds) on the difference between what is objective fact, and what is their personal opinion.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
What's very interesting to me - and yes, I know, you've heard it said before - in 1999 there was a very loud chorus of folks saying that 3e wasn't D&D, either. For many people nowadays that isn't the case. I have no idea if it'll be the case with 4e, but for me it seems premature to decide before we've played it for a few months.

I'll take issue with Carnivorous Bean's assertion that "Probably the fact that many of the anti-4e posters --." Gross generalizations make me uncomfortable. In my experience, the vast majority of anti-4e posters are reasonable and moderate people who just don't care for what they've seen so far. There's a small subsection of vehement and insulting people (on both sides!) who draw some attention, but I don't believe they embody the majority.

Remove ads