• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Grognards?

Li Shenron

Legend
Carnivorous_Bean said:
Probably the fact that many of the anti-4e posters --

-- use perjorative and condescending concepts such as "4e is dumbed down" and "4e is for little kids" (thus basically stating that anyone who likes it is a moron whose opinion can be discounted).

-- complain endlessly about EVERYTHING. NOTHING about the new edition can be done right. It's all wrong, wrong, wrong, the people who make it really hate D&D and are showing disrespect for Gary Gygax and Arneson and everybody else up to and including the Holy Roman Emperor.

-- declare the absolute perfection of everything except 4e. If it's so perfect, why does it bother you that 4e is coming out? Go play the edition of your choice. It's no skin off your nose if somebody else plays a different edition. Your favorite edition exists.

-- positive comments are invariably dismissed flippantly as "fanboyism," "ignorance," "condescension," and "extremist views," while everything that is negative about 4e is lauded reverently as "finally, something balanced," "impartial," "rational."

I've seen far, far more of these posts than anything resembling 'rational' and 'respectful' analysis.

That said, I don't think grognards are really the people who are described by what you're talking about as a grognard. What you're talking about is someone who's absolutely determined to hate 4e, of which there seem to be plenty.

Have you considered the possibility that most of whom you see as "anti-4e" are simply people who desperately want to LOVE the new edition, and just get disappointed/worries about specific things? :)

Personally, when I hear something I dislike I feel the immediate urge to discuss it. Perhaps I want to be reassured that I'm worried too much, or I want to understand better and change my mind. Or maybe sometimes I'm just hopeless and I only want to tell my sorrow and be consoled.

But when I hear something I like frankly I don't feel the need to open a thread just to say that. Problems make for much more interesting discussions :)

So when you read a thread against some 4e feature, don't assume that the people hate everything.

Last edited:

GoldieDavid

Explorer
Piratecat said:
Gross generalizations make me uncomfortable. In my experience, the vast majority of anti-4e posters are reasonable and moderate people who just don't care for what they've seen so far. There's a small subsection of vehement and insulting people (on both sides!) who draw some attention, but I don't believe they embody the majority.

What he said. The excitable guys fill up a lot of space once their spleen starts to vent, but there's usually well reasoned and calm posts even in the flamey threads.

ThirdWizard

First Post
Li Shenron said:
So when you read a thread against some 4e feature, don't assume that the people hate everything.

I don't understand this statement. Either you love everything or hate everything, right? We sit in our camps and come out every day to shoot at each other, then head back to discuss how we're going to push/attack 4e the next day, with everyone committing to one side entirely.

Because, if not, what were those meetings I was going to...

Calico_Jack73

First Post
So, what if a Grognard is someone who thinks an older edition is superior and a fanboy thinks the new edition is superior what do you call someone who doesn't care what the system is as long as the game is fun to play?

Henry

Autoexreginated
Calico_Jack73 said:
...what do you call someone who doesn't care what the system is as long as the game is fun to play?

"Henry" on a good day, and something that involves four-letter words on a bad day. :D

A bad day gaming is still better to me than a day of not gaming. ;)

Sphyre

First Post
Calico_Jack73 said:
So, what if a Grognard is someone who thinks an older edition is superior and a fanboy thinks the new edition is superior what do you call someone who doesn't care what the system is as long as the game is fun to play?

Rational.

Although, watch out, you may still be called a grognard if you like the older edition and a fanboy if you end up liking the new stuff... and possibly at the same time.

Don't you love stereotypes? :rolleyes:

Remove ads