D&D 5E [GUIDE] Celestial Link Evoking Radiance Into Creation - CLERIC guide

mellored

Legend
I agree that +2con>tough. The -3 only works on BPS damage, whereas the hp will work on everything. It also requires you to use heavy armor, which not all clerics are proficient in. And the point in str is for the most part wasted :/
Requiring heavy armor is a bit of a moot point, since you can't take it if you don't have it.
And +1 str still doesn't hurt, since you want 15 for not being slowed (unless your a dwarf).
Str saves are also semi-common, usually grappling.

At higher levels, i agree it's not as good.

Massive heals and scary aoe effects/damage should be enough to make the bad guys hesitant to ignore you.
Everyone will have a reason for the enemy to attack them. You need more then AC.
Healing helps though. Since even if they do take down the wizard, you bring him back up. But you don't have enough spell slots to keep it for up long.

Honestly adding 1 reaction that may not even out-damage wrath of the storm doesn't seem like it makes me more of a threat, also with proficiency in con saves after level 11(+4 proficiency, +5 con) you have to take 22+ damage to even have to roll to keep your concentration(1's arent auto-fail on saves), and if you do have to roll it will be an easy pass. The rest of warcaster is really lackluster.
I wouldn't call advantage on Con saves lackluster. A young red dragon can do 54 damage with his breath weapon, (27-9 = roll of 18). Though it does depend on your DM. Some may simply not want to provoke any kind of OA, so simply standing around may be enough of a threat.

Also, you won't have 20 Con by 11 if you multi-class at cleric 6. Consider casting warding bond on yourself. Then you can auto-pass concentration checks upto 44 damage (roll of 4 against the dragon).

Ah right, I always forget that you don't get to pick like with Wrath. Either way Shocking Grasp is better :p
Assuming you want to knock someone back, yes. You may not if you are trying to be the tank.

Since the only 2 spells that are cleric-only and have a dc/to hit roll are call lightning and destructive wave, both of which are situational(mass groups and high ceilings) I think having a +2/3 in wis should be fine, focusing more on con/cha.
Yea, that's fine.
You can reasonably make a cleric without Wis, so you can miss a few points. Also things that deal 1/2 damage arn't as hurt by a low DC.

That is another fun one, shocking grasp, thunderclap, and lightning lure are definitely going to be my bread and butter.
Speaking of which, I could just use my own cloud of daggers...
Quicken cloud of daggers let's you use a cantrip to shove someone in right away, taking damage on your turn, and then again at the start of their turn.

I'm just imagining 4 storm/tempests surrounding a guy dragging him back and forth though a few clouds.
Death by a thousand cuts.

Kithas

First Post
Requiring heavy armor is a bit of a moot point, since you can't take it if you don't have it.
And +1 str still doesn't hurt, since you want 15 for not being slowed (unless your a dwarf).
Str saves are also semi-common, usually grappling.
Don't get me wrong I like HAM too, I just think it can be overrated :/ I have it on my lvl 17 (15/2) fighter/barb and it's very helpful.
Everyone will have a reason for the enemy to attack them you need more then AC.
Healing helps though. Since even if they do take down the wizard, you bring him back up. But you don't have enough spell slots to keep it for up long.
As far as blasting I'm going to hit as hard if not harder than the wizard :/ that may not mean they focus on me but hopefully it means they die if they don't. That's the plan at least, plans only last until initiative is rolled generally.
I wouldn't call advantage on Con saves lackluster. A young red dragon can do 54 damage with his breath weapon, (27-9 = roll of 18). Though it does depend on your DM. Some may simply not want to provoke any kind of OA, so simply standing around may be enough of a threat.
Having advantage on that roll still only means I have less than 30% chance to keep my concentration, it is better it just feels like upping my chances and still probably failing. If I fail my save on a 1 or 2 per encounter I'm ok with recasting.
Also, you won't have 20 Con by 11 if you multi-class at cleric 6. Consider casting warding bond on yourself. Then you can auto-pass concentration checks upto 44 damage (roll of 4 against the dragon).
I'm going to split 7/4 by 11, not sure which way, I'm leaning sorc right now for Storm Sphere. I used a 16 on a roll for my con, +2(Hill dwarf) and one of my 2 asi's will get me to 20 by level 6(4/2), not sure for my second one, I have a short wish-list but I'll probably decide closer to when it happens.
Assuming you want to knock someone back, yes. You may not if you are trying to be the tank.
Very true, I'll have to guage that in practice. hopefully it works well, otherwise in those situations I'll probably just thunderclap.
Quicken cloud of daggers let's you use a cantrip to shove someone in right away, taking damage on your turn, and then again at the start of their turn.

I'm just imagining 4 storm/tempests surrounding a guy dragging him back and forth though a few clouds.
Death by a thousand cuts.
That does sound really silly XD
I'll definitely keep that one in mind.

mellored

Legend
Don't get me wrong I like HAM too, I just think it can be overrated :/ I have it on my lvl 17 (15/2) fighter/barb and it's very helpful.
At level 17, yea it's lost a lot of it's power. I would only rate it blue, maybe black at that level. But most games are lower level.

As far as blasting I'm going to hit as hard if not harder than the wizard :/ that may not mean they focus on me but hopefully it means they die if they don't.
But your already a lot harder to hit then the wizard.

But, it depends on the DM and the party. I've seen some DM's who didn't want to provoke an OA from a wizard in order to stop a sorcerer with twin haste.

Other's have no problem rushing past the fighter in a attempt to kill the wizard.

Having advantage on that roll still only means I have less than 30% chance to keep my concentration, it is better it just feels like upping my chances and still probably failing. If I fail my save on a 1 or 2 per encounter I'm ok with recasting.
Warcaster is by no means required.
But it's something to consider.

I'm going to split 7/4 by 11, not sure which way, I'm leaning sorc right now for Storm Sphere. I used a 16 on a roll for my con, +2(Hill dwarf) and one of my 2 asi's will get me to 20 by level 6(4/2), not sure for my second one, I have a short wish-list but I'll probably decide closer to when it happens.
I would go cleric 6/sorcerer 5.

That gives you a second channel divinity, and level 3 spells from both classes. Cleric's level 4 spells aren't too special, and heart of the storm won't be that much damage since you split classes.

Though (twinned) polymorph and greater invisibility is pretty potent for sorcerer. But that's more support, not blaster.

Kithas

First Post
MelloRed said:
I would go cleric 6/sorcerer 5.

That gives you a second channel divinity, and level 3 spells from both classes. Cleric's level 4 spells aren't too special, and heart of the storm won't be that much damage since you split classes.

Though (twinned) polymorph and greater invisibility is pretty potent for sorcerer. But that's more support, not blaster.
I like the idea of having level 3 spells from both. I think my fear is getting really behind on my highest spell known. By 11 non-multiclassed casters will have 6th level spells, while I will only have 3rd. Our slots are the same but my selection and relative spell-power is much smaller. I was hoping to only be 1-2 levels known behind.
Also I am more interested in the level 2-4 spells from sorc than I am the level 3 spells in cleric. Call lightning and D-wave is really all I want for damage as far as spells known go. And I think that Storm sphere outclasses call lightning, it works off my bonus action instead of my main action, leaving me to attack or cast more without spending sorc points, I also get area-denial/free damage from it. Plus I can do it indoors!
That said, for progression I was looking at 4/2 by level 6, 7/2 by 9 and 7/4 at 11, 7/6 by 13 and pick and choose from there. This gets me access to the cleric spells I care about early enough, while getting the sorc spells only a little behind schedule, also keeping me only 1 level behind normal for my first asi,and 2 for the second.

On heart of the storm;
No the damage doesn't start out massive and will never really get to it's max with multiclassing. But compare it to the abilities that let you add your ability score to the damage of your spells. Those will generally add only 3-5 damage to your spell per target per cast. That is true most of the time for Heart too, considering I plan on being up-close and personal most of the time, 10' radius is plenty to reach everyone I want to, and even some people I don't hit with the main spell. I consider it well-worth getting early.

Snof

First Post
With those new cantrips, namely Booming Blade and Green-flame blade, you have a few good options that should be mentioned. For example I could very well imagine a cleric of Nature domain, or even Life, multiclass/dip into a warlock to get those cantrips. Maybe even three levels of fighter (Eldritch Knight) to get them. They grant quite a hefty boost to damage, without spending precious spells. I think it should be mentioned, as Arcane domain cleric isn't the only one who want those cantrips. For those who do multiclass, or use a feat to get them, I would like to say it does synergy well with Divine Strike.

Snof

First Post
Staying within the same theme as my previous post. I was figuring about making a Cleric, and this is how it goes:

Hill Dwarf:
Starting stats after racials: Str 10 Dex 14 Con 17 Int 8 Wis 16 Cha 8

Level 1: Fighter 1: Fighting Style: Defense
Level 2: Cleric 1/Fighter 1: Nature Domain: Cantrip: Shillelagh
Level 3: Cleric 2/Fighter 1:
Level 4: Cleric 3/Fighter 1:
Level 5: Cleric 4/Fighter 1: Feat: Warcaster
Level 6: Cleric 5/Fighter 1:
Level 7: Cleric 5/Fighter 2:
Level 8: Cleric 5/Fighter 3: Eldritch Knight: Cantrips, Booming Blade, Greenflame Blade: 1 Level spells: Shield, Magic Missils, Find Familiar.
Level 9: Cleric 6/Fighter 3:
Level 10: Cleric 7/Fighter 3
Level 11: Cleric 8/Fighter 3: +1 Con +1 Wis
Level 12: Cleric 8/Fighter 4: Feat: Resilience (Wisdom)
Level 13: Cleric 9/Fighter 4:
Cleric 14: Cleric 10/Fighter 4:

Keep on adding Cleric levels. Could later on add Sentinel, or just wisdom.

He is obviously wearing plate, a shield, and a club with shillelagh. Such a build would be really tanky, with awesome defenses, and high hit points, and great concentration saves. He can even use shield/dampen element to boost himself. In addition, he has a deadly opportunity attack, and deals good amount of damage with his single attack, that uses wisdom, thanks to divine strike and Booming Blade. You top it with all the support a cleric normally have.

What do you think?

Maybe I do it in different order. Get sentinel earlier, drop Resilience and so forth. But the basic idea seems really good to me. Warcaster is important both for concentration, AND to be able to cast shield.

Last edited:

mellored

Legend
With those new cantrips, namely Booming Blade and Green-flame blade, you have a few good options that should be mentioned. For example I could very well imagine a cleric of Nature domain, or even Life, multiclass/dip into a warlock to get those cantrips. Maybe even three levels of fighter (Eldritch Knight) to get them. They grant quite a hefty boost to damage, without spending precious spells. I think it should be mentioned, as Arcane domain cleric isn't the only one who want those cantrips. For those who do multiclass, or use a feat to get them, I would like to say it does synergy well with Divine Strike.

For some reason i was thinking they where stat dependent. You are right that it works for any of the clerics.

I will update.

mellored

Legend
Staying within the same theme as my previous post. I was figuring about making a Cleric, and this is how it goes:
Seems fine.

Also i'm tempted to try this with the trickery domain for advantage.
Or death cleric, for some good additional damage.

Snof

First Post
Quick question. As indicated by the guide, Disciple of Life do increase the healing of each goodberry, but how does blessed healer synergy with goodberry? Will each berry your allies take, heal you for hit points too?

Anyway. You do say that Disciple of Life feature (life domain) is really good with say; goodberry. I ask you therefore if you would you rank this domain a bit higher with magic initiate goodberry/shillelagh? I would rank it blue. A melee support clerics has as of SCAG, got a lot better thanks to BB and GFB. I cant imagine from a power perspective dropping those. All its features is good, none of it is great, and none of it is bad, and its divine strike is radiant, a nice pluss in my book. In long adventures where each battle is more about attrition, than pure raw power, this domain is awesome. Spell list might be a bit boring, but not enough to drop it down to black imo.

Secondly; I dont get why Trickery domain is ranked sky blue? Its Channel Divinity seems to just be ok, if you can actually deceive your enemies. It takes a whole action to get out and going, lasts a minute, and it even requires your concentration to keep up. That means no bless, no spirit guardians and no blade barrier, as they compete with your concentration. It even takes your bonus action just to move it around, and from my experience, bonus action comes in handy for a cleric. It doesn't even grant advantage to your allies, but only you, if both are adjacent to it, and as a cleric, you dont always attack. One strike at the duplicate and the enemy knows, right? Guess this is very DM dependent. As for blessing of the trickster; it can have its benefits, but adventure dependent. I would prefer heavy armor proficiency, especially considering it got divine strike, and NOT potent spellcasting. Oh and divine strike deals poison damage, the worst kind of damage. From my perspective, its only saving grace is its spell list, but that is not even enough to give it a rating of black. Might be good for a dip for other classes, but beyond that... heh???? From my perspective it is black if you can deceive monsters, and purple/red if you cant. Either way, I cannot see how this is sky blue.

As for death domain. Is it really Sky Blue? Yes it does have a great Channel Divinity, but reaper and Divine Strike kinda competes with each other. I prefer a bit more focus. Until level 17, it doesn't have that much going for it, beyond channel divinity. And what it does have going for it at level 17, is double vampiric touch. Am I missing something. This domain does not seem sky blue to me.

Remove ads