• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Half-Paraelemental Template!

Krishnath

First Post
Here it is, you're warned though, it's a long post...

Hope you like 'em.

Template, Half-Paraelemental

Half-Paraelementals are even rarer than Half-Elementals, and are the offspring of the union between Mortals and paraelemental creatures, or the end result of the Rare infusion of Para-elemental energy into living beings.

Creating a Half-Paraelemental:
"Half-Paraelemental" is a template that can be added to any corporeal creature with an intelligence score of 4 or more that is not an elemental (refered to hereafter as the base creature.).
Type: Changes to outsider.
Speed: Ooze half-paraelementals gain a swim speed equal to their land movement or their base swim speed, whichever is greater. Smoke half-paraelementals gain a fly speed of 60' (average manuverability) or their base fly speed and manuverability, whicever is greater.
AC: Natural armor increases by +1 for Ooze and Smoke half-paraelementals, and by +2 for Ice and Magma half-paraelementals.
Special Attacks: Half-Paraelementals retain all the special attacks of the base creature. Half-paraelementals with an Int or Wis score of 8 or higher, posses the following spell-like abilities, using their character levels as the caster level, as specified in the table. Each ability is useable once per day:

Ice Half-Paraelemental:
Level . . . Ability

1-2 . . . . Chill Touch
3-4 . . . . Fog Cloud
5-6 . . . . Snilloc's Snowball Swarm*
7-8 . . . . Ice Wall
9-10 . . . . Ice Storm
11-12 . . . Cone of Cold
13-14 . . . Otiluke's Freezing Sphere
15-16 . . . Zajimarn's Field of Icy Razors*
17-18 . . . Elemental Swarm (Summons only Ice Paraelementals)
19+ . . . . Planeshift

Magma Half-Paraelemental:
Level . . . Ability

1-2 . . . . Magic Stone
3-4 . . . . Produce Flame
5-6 . . . . Aganazzar's Scorcher*
7-8 . . . . Spike Stones
9-10 . . . . Wall of Stone
11-12 . . . Flame Strike
13-14 . . . Earthquake
15-16 . . . Incendiary Cloud
17-18 . . . Elemental Swarm (Summons only Magma Paraelementals)
19+ . . . . Planeshift

Ooze Half-Paraelemental:
Level . . . Ability

1-2 . . . . Grease
3-4 . . . . Soften Earth and Stone
5-6 . . . . Melf's Acid Arrow
7-8 . . . . Rusting Grasp
9-10 . . . . Freedom of Movement
11-12 . . . Cloudkill
13-14 . . . Crumble*
15-16 . . . Slime Wave**
17-18 . . . Elemental Swarm (Summons only Ooze Paraelementals)
19+ . . . . Planeshift

Smoke Half-Paraelemental:
Level . . . Ability

1-2 . . . . Obscuring Mist
3-4 . . . . Produce Flame
5-6 . . . . Gaseous Form
7-8 . . . . Air Walk
9-10 . . . . Murderous Mist*
11-12 . . . Flamestrike
13-14 . . . Firestorm
15-16 . . . Incendiary Cloud
17-18 . . . Elemental Swarm (Summons only Smoke Paraelementals)
19+ . . . . Planeshift

* Found in Magic of Faerun
** Found in either Defenders of the Faith™ or Masters of the Wild

Special Qualities: A half-paraelemental creature has all the basic abilities of the base creature. Half-paraelementals are immune to disease and gain a +4 racial bonus against poison. In addition they get special qualities depending on type.
Ice Half-Paraelementals: Ice subtype and the Icewalking special quality (described under the White Dragon entry in the MM)
Magma Half-Paraelementals: Fire Subtype and tremosrsense 30'
Ooze Half-Paraelementals: Acid Immunity.
Smoke Half-Paraelementals: Fire subtype and becomes breathless (Can not die from suffocation, since it has no need to breathe.)
Saves: Same as base creature.
Abilities: Changes from the base creature as follows:
Ice: Str +2, Dex +0, Con +4, Int +0, Wis +2, Cha +0
Magma: Str +4, Dex +0, Con +2, Int +0, Wis +2, Cha +0
Ooze: Str +2, Dex +4, Con +2, Int +0, Wis +2, Cha -2
Smoke: Str +0, Dex +2, Con +0, Int +2, Wis +2, Cha +2
Skills:[ A half-paraelemental has 8 skill points, plus it's Int bonus, per Hit Die. Treat skills from the creatures skill list as class skills, and other skills as cross class, it gains skills for class levels normally. Any racial bonuses that apply to the base creature, apply to the base creature as well.
Feats: Half-paraelementals have one feat for every four levels or the base creatures total number of feats, whichever is greater.

Climate/Terrain: Same as the base creature or the elemental
Organization: As the base creature, but often solitary.
Challenge Rating: Base creature +2
Alignment: Same the base creature
Treasure: Same as the base creature
Advancment: Same as the base creature.

Half-Paraelemental Characters:
Half-paraelementals often have a character class or two. Half-ice paraelementals favor the fighter and sorcerer class. Half-magma elementals favor the Barbarian and fighter class, half-ooze elementals favor the druid and rogue classes, and half-smoke paraelementals favor the rouge and bard classes.
Most Half-paraelemental spellcasters are druids.
Only a few half-paraelementals find acceptance among the civilized races, and as a concequence thereof, most Half-paraelementals tend to travel a lot. The races most likely to accept half-paraelementals are dwarves, gnolls, orcs, and strangely enough elves…

Sample Half-paraelemental creature:

Half-paraelemental (ooze) Gnoll
Medium-Size Outsider (Gnoll)
Hit Dice:
2d8+4 (13 hp)
Initiative: +2 (Dex)
Speed: 30', swim 30'
AC: 16 (+2 Dex, +2 natural, +2 large steel shield.)
Attacks: Battleaxe +5 melee
Damage: Battleaxe 1d8+3
Face/Reach: 5' by 5'/5'
Special Attacks: Grease 1/day
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60', disease immunity, poison resistance (+4 on saves), acid immunity,
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +4
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 14, Con 15, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +6, Spot +6, Wilderness Lore (cc) +3,
Feats: Power Attack (-2/+2)

Climate/Terrain: Temperate and Warm land and underground
Organization: Solitary, pair, gang (2-5), band (10-100 plus 50% non-combatants plus 1 3rd level sergeant per 20 adults and 1 leader of 4th to 6th level), or tribe (20-200 plus 1 3rd level sergeant per 20 adults, 1 or 2 lieutenants of 4th or 5th level, 1 leader of 6th-8th level, and 6-10 dire lions; underground lairs also have 1-3 trolls.)
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually chaotic evil
Advancment: By character class.
Suggested Advancement Path: As either druid or fighter.

Comments, tomatoes, suggestions, constructive critisism? Bring it on.

Edit: Increased the thoughness bonus and reduced the dex bonus on the Half-Paraelemental (Ice).

Last edited:

Devon

First Post
Looking pretty good!

Would you feel comfortable taking on the task of half-quasielementals as well, or should I try my hand at the template? Your half-paraelemental will be a wonderful basis for my research.

- Devon

Crothian

First Post
This looks really good.

What type of bonus is the AC bonus?

What type of spells are the special abilities they all get? Arcane so they are based off of Int, or divine and based on Wisdom.

On the Ozze attributes, I'd switch the Dex and Con bonus. I suggest that becassue the Para Ooze gensai gets +4 to con.

What would the ECL of this be?

Again, very good work.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Crothian said:
This looks really good.

What type of bonus is the AC bonus?

I would assume 'natural' since the sample monsters have nothing special (inherent, insight, etc.) and their natural AC is boosted.

What type of spells are the special abilities they all get? Arcane so they are based off of Int, or divine and based on Wisdom.

Barring clarification, I would say arcane cast as sorcerer (most spell-like abilities are).

Krishnath

First Post
Devon: I would rather that you do it, then I don't have to (Just a word of advice: The spells are the hardes part.) :D

Crothian: The AC bonus is to natural armor, just forgot to write it down, my bad. The spells are as cast by a sorcerer of the half-paraelementals caster level, at least that's what I assume is the case, since the half-elemental template that this is based on doesn't go into specifics.
I have not seen the Ooze-paragenasi so I can't comment on the Dex/Con thing. I just figured that something slimy would have a high Dex. The Ecl should be roughly +4 as with all other 'Half-Templates'

Grazzt: So what do you think. :D

Knight Otu

First Post
Looks nice!

The only thing that seems to be a bit problematic is that Half-Smokes might be considered to have to few ability increases, but only if you follow the premise that Strength is more important than Dex and Con, and that those two are more important than the mental abilities.

drowdude

First Post
Krishnath said:
Here it is, you're warned though, it's a long post...

Hope you like 'em.

Template, Half-Paraelemental

Abilities: Changes from the base creature as follows:
Ice: Str +2, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +0, Wis +2, Cha +0

Comments, tomatoes, suggestions, constructive critisism? Bring it on.

Ice Para-Genasi from dragon #297 get a +4 to Con... so maybe the 1/2 Elemental version should as well.

Other than that minor quibble I really dig the templates!

Krishnath

First Post
Ferret: Maybe later...

Knight: But they become breathless, making them immune to suffocation and most cloud attacks (including stinking cloud and cloudkill.)

Drowdude: If all the other drow jumped of a cliff, would you do it to?

Later,

drowdude

First Post
Krishnath said:

Drowdude: If all the other drow jumped of a cliff, would you do it to?[color]

Well now, that would depend on the situation now would'nt it? ;)

And my point is that a Genasi really should'nt be able to achieve a better stat than a 1/2 Elemental... since they are further down the elemental-love-train.

Remove ads