D&D 5E Has anyone ran an encounter (or fought) with The Kraken form the MM?

The kraken was part of an encounter that I ran for my group. There were five PCs (level 16) and one NPC ally (level 20 Champion). The enemy of the fight had arranged a number of contingencies, so after she was defeated as an archmage, lich, and ancient black dragon, she took the form of a kraken next. Since there was nowhere to escalate from there, there was a contingency to heal the kraken back to full upon being reduced to zero.

The party had no trouble with the fight. I mean, most of them were knocked out by the end of it, but none of them died. It would have been easier for them, but they had already fought a number of tough fights before that, so they were running low on spells.

Staccat0

First Post
The kraken was part of an encounter that I ran for my group. There were five PCs (level 16) and one NPC ally (level 20 Champion). The enemy of the fight had arranged a number of contingencies, so after she was defeated as an archmage, lich, and ancient black dragon, she took the form of a kraken next. Since there was nowhere to escalate from there, there was a contingency to heal the kraken back to full upon being reduced to zero.

The party had no trouble with the fight. I mean, most of them were knocked out by the end of it, but none of them died. It would have been easier for them, but they had already fought a number of tough fights before that, so they were running low on spells.

Jeez louise!

I was wondering how realistic throwing 4 fully rested level 12 PCs was. This is giving me a small amount of hope.

CydKnight

Explorer
What level are they? Any wisdom you can impart about running a Kraken from watching it?
From what I remember, there were 6 of them in the neighborhood of level 15 except for Terry who was lower since Sam Reigal had only recently introduced him to replace Scanlan. All were rested and at full abilities and HP. Vax (Rogue/Paladin) actually died and had to be resurrected. At least two others were on Death Saves at some point during the fight. They didn't kill the Kraken either. They escaped once they had the stones that were required to complete a ritual right of passage for the Druid.

aco175

Legend
If it is just the Kraken, then 12th level PCs should wipe the floor with it, or at least not have a hard time. Single monsters have a hard time keeping up with the PCs number or actions, so things quickly start to go against them. Multiple monsters and waves of fresh minions to keep the PCs busy make things much harder. A powerful monster should have many plans to deal with intruders and aid that can come quickly. Heck, it could even have a strike team that can come the next round after it sends a telepathic signal.

Terraism

Explorer
A few months ago, I started running the Zeitgeist campaign updated to 5E (excited for those Patreon updates!) During the events of the first adventure, someone fled from a boat by way of an allied kraken.

One of my players is particularly impulsive, and since his orders were to detain her, he wasn't just letting her run away. So he jumped out the window and also landed on the kraken.

He was a third level half-orc fighter. The racial endurance trait is the only reason he survived that encounter, after being grabbed and hurled away by the kraken before it swam off.

As it happens, the rest of the party wasn't near the window and never saw the kraken. So they refuse to acknowledge it was there. We're another score or so sessions out, and his inability to convince them has become a running gag.

So not the most useful experience to share, but I've been wanting to tell people about it for a while. 😀

Remove ads