D&D 5E Has Anyone Seen the Following Builds?

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
Actually, now that I recall I have also had a fighter 3/Wizard xyz as well in one of the parties I played in. He was a Rune Knight and a Chronurgy Wizard.

I’ve actually seen many multi-class combinations in just the last three parties.

Glamour Bard/Divination Wizard
Kensei Monk/Hexblade Warlock
Swashbuckler Rogue/Fiend Warlock
Undying Warlock/Ancients Paladin
Celestial Warlock/Redemption Paladin
Fey Wanderer Ranger/Scout Rogue
Rune Knight Fighter/Chronurgy Wizard
Fiend Warlock/Red Dragon Sorcerer
Gloomstalker Ranger/Shadow Monk
Homebrew Rogue/Homebrew Monk

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Paladin 6/hexblade1 (or any hexblade dip on a charisma class).
This is a pretty popular build. The fact that it allows to go all-in on Charisma is amazing. I would use Hexblade for nearly any character that is a charisma facing class. I'm currently playing a Swords Bard/Hexblade and it's amazing. I'll be starting a higher level game and there is discussion of a Hexblade/Sorcerer/Paladin as well.

I think the Hexblade is just too good when combined with a Charisma based character, not to mention how it gives you Eldritch Blast. I expect this option to go away in the new rulebooks.

Laurefindel

Legend
I’ve had a fighter 2/wizard X PC in my last campaign (although he went EK 3/abjurer X relatively fast).

I’ve seen (and played) a monk/warlock, and I’ve built plenty of NPC villains with hexblade multiclass shenanigans, but my only hexblade PC is pure warlock so far.

jgsugden

Legend
In an actual real game? Close enough also counts the level doesn't need to be exact

Eldritch Knight 6, Bladesinger 2
Yes. It was a game that did not restrict on race. The Eldritch knight ws the primary class and the Bladesigner went to 3 levels to get access to a wider group of 2nd level spells. It was fine.
Several times. The hexblade is often taken for granted here, but if you remember that there is a patron involved and they have a call over the paladin it can be interesting. The hexblade patron is supposed to be a dark entity.
Divine Soul xyz, Death Cleric 1
Not death cleric, but Cleric of Order. It was fun and interesting to distinguish between the clerical grants and the sorcerous innate magics. There is RPG gold there if the DM wants it.
Fighter 2/Wizard xyz
nother one I've seen a few times. Usually with the fighter dip at high levels. I think it may have been more common for me to see Wizrd 17 / Fighter 3 than Wizard 20.
Eldritch Knight 6/Paladin xyz
Nope. I do not recall seeing this one. It would seem that pure paladin would be more effective. I'd think a more natral dip would be a sorcerer for the paladin. There could be a good role playing reason to go this way (devoted to a good of magic?), but it seems like a rough fit.

ECMO3

Hero
In an actual real game? Close enough also counts the level doesn't need to be exact

Eldritch Knight 6, Bladesinger 2
I have played this and regretted it. This is substantially weaker in melee than a single class Bladesinger (assuming spells selected for that purpose). IF you are going to use bladesong, then you are going to be using single handed weapons and light armor, so the fighter levels are not doing much except robbing spell slots. If you are not going to use bladesong it is weaker than a single-class EK.

The problem with this build is you are losing a crapload of spell slots with those fighter levels. Those spells can more than close the gap in hit points and the extra ASI. When you get down to it, upcast False Life and d6 hit points is more total hps than d10 hit points.

If you really want the martial weapons I would turn this build upside down - Fighter 2, Bladesinger 6. You get action surge and a fighting style but only lose two caster levels and do much better damage.

I have seen this in play, it did not go well at all, part of that though is it was a PAM build and we did not find a magic Staff or Spear. He was often attacking without his hexblade weapon.

I think to do this well you need to have a generalist approach and not tie yourself down like that.

Even then, I don't really like this because you need a 13 strength for the multiclass, and then a 14 Dex to have a good AC in medium Armor or else you need a 15 Strength to wear heavy armor and not move slowly. So you can't dump strength at all, and unless you have a really good dexterity you need to invest quite a bit to be effective IME. This makes it so it is not much more of an investment just to give him a 16 strength anyway, at which point Hexblade is less attractive. Obviously it depends on your rolls. If you have one great roll (16+) and then multiple 12s and really want to play a Paladin, this becomes more attractive. Put your racial bonuses in Strength and Dex to get them to 13 and 14 and keep your natural Charisma .... but unless you really want to play a Paladin, I would be looking at less MAD classes like Rogue or Fighter.

Now IME Conquest Paladin -Undead Warlock 1 was Crazy Good.

Divine Soul xyz, Death Cleric 1

I have seen this. It is awesome. The Death Cleric necro cantrip feature rocks on a Wizard or Sorcerer. This is also great on an Eldritch Knight.

In the games we played it is generally Death Cleric 2 to get Harness Divine Power, and a weak turn undead.

Fighter 2/Wizard xyz

Yes I have seen lots of Fighter 2/any caster builds. It is a tradeoff. I would say this is awash in general for most Wizards at high level. At low level a single class Wizard is probably better. You have action surge, but fewer spell slots.

Ideally you would want Heavy Armor, and Warcaster but that is difficult to cobble together while still being an effective caster as you are behind on the ASI tree already with the multiclass. You would want Warcaster from V.Human or Custom, but you can't do that if you start off as a fighter because you are not a caster. Then you need a high strength to keep up movement and playing levels as a character built to be a Wizard but with no/fewer spells is not easy. From levels 1-6 this is substantially behind a single class Wizard. At 7th level you catch back up and from there on it is probably about even.

Going Dexterity and starting as a Wizard is a much easier build but then you miss the heavy armor and you could do this with a race without doing a multiclass at all and keep all your slots but only lose out on action surge.

Zardnaar

Legend
I have played this and regretted it. This is substantially weaker in melee than a single class Bladesinger (assuming spells selected for that purpose). IF you are going to use bladesong, then you are going to be using single handed weapons and light armor, so the fighter levels are not doing much except robbing spell slots. If you are not going to use bladesong it is weaker than a single-class EK.

The problem with this build is you are losing a crapload of spell slots with those fighter levels. Those spells can more than close the gap in hit points and the extra ASI. When you get down to it, upcast False Life and d6 hit points is more total hps than d10 hit points.

If you really want the martial weapons I would turn this build upside down - Fighter 2, Bladesinger 6. You get action surge and a fighting style but only lose two caster levels and do much better damage.

I have seen this in play, it did not go well at all, part of that though is it was a PAM build and we did not find a magic Staff or Spear. He was often attacking without his hexblade weapon.

I think to do this well you need to have a generalist approach and not tie yourself down like that.

Even then, I don't really like this because you need a 13 strength for the multiclass, and then a 14 Dex to have a good AC in medium Armor or else you need a 15 Strength to wear heavy armor and not move slowly. So you can't dump strength at all, and unless you have a really good dexterity you need to invest quite a bit to be effective IME. This makes it so it is not much more of an investment just to give him a 16 strength anyway, at which point Hexblade is less attractive. Obviously it depends on your rolls. If you have one great roll (16+) and then multiple 12s and really want to play a Paladin, this becomes more attractive. Put your racial bonuses in Strength and Dex to get them to 13 and 14 and keep your natural Charisma .... but unless you really want to play a Paladin, I would be looking at less MAD classes like Rogue or Fighter.

Now IME Conquest Paladin -Undead Warlock 1 was Crazy Good.

I have seen this. It is awesome. The Death Cleric necro cantrip feature rocks on a Wizard or Sorcerer. This is also great on an Eldritch Knight.

In the games we played it is generally Death Cleric 2 to get Harness Divine Power, and a weak turn undead.

Yes I have seen lots of Fighter 2/any caster builds. It is a tradeoff. I would say this is awash in general for most Wizards at high level. At low level a single class Wizard is probably better. You have action surge, but fewer spell slots.

Ideally you would want Heavy Armor, and Warcaster but that is difficult to cobble together while still being an effective caster as you are behind on the ASI tree already with the multiclass. You would want Warcaster from V.Human or Custom, but you can't do that if you start off as a fighter because you are not a caster. Then you need a high strength to keep up movement and playing levels as a character built to be a Wizard but with no/fewer spells is not easy. From levels 1-6 this is substantially behind a single class Wizard. At 7th level you catch back up and from there on it is probably about even.

Going Dexterity and starting as a Wizard is a much easier build but then you miss the heavy armor and you could do this with a race without doing a multiclass at all and keep all your slots but only lose out on action surge.

Bladesingers rom what u gave seen fall into two categories. Those who use shadowblade spell and those that don't.

Eldritch Knight 6, Bladesinger 2:
Never seen this one in play or as a theory craft build.

Paladin 6/hexblade1 (or any hexblade dip on a charisma class):
At least 3 times that I can remember. They were all melee focused and I'm pretty sure they all ended up having at least two levels in warlock for the invocations.

Divine Soul xyz, Death Cleric 1:
There's never been a death cleric at our table other than as an NPC.

Fighter 2/Wizard xyz
Once as Fighter/Wizard and once as Fighter/Sorcerer (that one was me). I wanted to be an armor clad dragonborn throwing around destructive magic and I achieved that with flying colors.

Eldritch Knight 6/Paladin xyz:
Much like the EK/Bladesinger combo I've never seen this one in play or in theory.

Zardnaar

Legend
Eldritch Knight 6, Bladesinger 2:
Never seen this one in play or as a theory craft build.

Paladin 6/hexblade1 (or any hexblade dip on a charisma class):
At least 3 times that I can remember. They were all melee focused and I'm pretty sure they all ended up having at least two levels in warlock for the invocations.

Divine Soul xyz, Death Cleric 1:
There's never been a death cleric at our table other than as an NPC.

Fighter 2/Wizard xyz
Once as Fighter/Wizard and once as Fighter/Sorcerer (that one was me). I wanted to be an armor clad dragonborn throwing around destructive magic and I achieved that with flying colors.

Eldritch Knight 6/Paladin xyz:
Much like the EK/Bladesinger combo I've never seen this one in play or in theory.

Cheers. My wife played the death cleric/Sivine Soul. It was very good interaction between spirit guardians and toll the dead/quicken toll the dead was interesting.

The big advantage of paladin/hexblade doesn't really come up until late game: you're still MAD at the beginning (needing Str, Con, Cha and probably Dex) but you only need to boost Cha over time, so you don't have to choose between str for weapon attacks and cha for aura of protection etc. You get both in one stat, for a one-level dip that comes with some nice benefits (short rest slot, Hexblade's Curse) and a roleplay downside that might not be an issue at all.

Zardnaar

Legend
The big advantage of paladin/hexblade doesn't really come up until late game: you're still MAD at the beginning (needing Str, Con, Cha and probably Dex) but you only need to boost Cha over time, so you don't have to choose between str for weapon attacks and cha for aura of protection etc. You get both in one stat, for a one-level dip that comes with some nice benefits (short rest slot, Hexblade's Curse) and a roleplay downside that might not be an issue at all.

I think you would start as hexblade 14 con and charisma, medium armor and 16 charisma. MC into Paladin.

Downside is level behind on auras, extra attack, asi etc

Remove ads