D&D 5E Has D&D spoiled you on other RPGs?

pukunui

Legend
D&D hasn't spoiled me personally but I do find it difficult to generate interest in any non-D&D RPGs among the other players I know. I've been dying to give the Dragon Age RPG a go ever since I got the original three box sets, and I'd love to give the revised FATE Core version of Bulldogs! a try, but no one else is interested.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Nope. I still like to run Torg when I get the chance - the new edition is quite nice and my players have fun with it even though it's just a bit more fiddly than they usually like. I also like to run the odd game of Gumshoe here or there. And of course there's always 13th age, which I prefer to D&D anyway (though since it's a flavor of D&D I suppose it counts). And I keep thinking about breaking my rule about Storyteller derived systems and trying to run It Came From Beyond The Grave for my players (but I keep bouncing off the Storyteller-ness of it all - so much complexity for such a simple idea. Sigh)

D&D is fine - it's a great game to introduce new players to, it's simple to teach and simple to run. I'm quite happy to run it if that's what people want to play. But it's not even the first game I'd pull off the shelf to run if the choice were entirely up to me if I'm being honest - it's probably not even second. Maybe third.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
As for the OP, I can answer yes.

Its convenient, its comfortable. It comes with built-in enthusiasm from my players, the rules are simple-ish, easily tweak-able and kinda cheap if you keep yourself to TotM and PHB (or SRD).

Stormonu

Legend
I use D&D for fantasy. Full stop. If I am running fantasy, it is D&D.

If I am running a setting set in the 1800s, 1900s, or 2000s, I run GURPs. I feel the system gives me a better feel, even when there is magic involved. It just interacts better with 'realistic technologies'. I've also had some success running a homebrew system for a Cthulhu/Western game that was based upon a 4E system, but each character (pregens) had mechanics that the player had to figure out as they played.

For Future tech (Gamma World, Traveler), I use a D&D based system. Once technology gets that advanced, it is more like fantasy than a modern setting.

For a Superhero system, I run Champions (an older edition - might be first). I rarely do it, and Champions worked well enough. Learning a new system is too much work for something I run so rarely. I think any system used for Superheroes is going to be difficult. The power levels can get way out of hand, and the ways that powers can be used are too difficult to model in a game system effectively. I usually do pregens for Superhero games as it allows me to craft the rules around the Superpowers a bit more carefully before we play.
Similar. D&D is fantasy, and TSR/WotC worlds only. WEG Star Wars for Star Wars. World of Darkness if I'm in the mood for Vampire or Werewolf. Alien if I want to do an Aliens game (that system is pretty bad-ass). Otherwise, Savage Worlds (SW) is my go-to, including for non-TSR/WotC fantasy.

But I keep a heap of other game systems on the shelf, if for reference if nothing else*. They're easy enough to convert to SW if I want a game.

* Though of late I've been dying to give Twilight 2000 a whirl. Even got the point I have characters for a solo game, hopefully soon.

Quickleaf

Legend
I have been doing one-shots with several new systems and it's always eye-opening...
  • I "ran" a GM-less game of Mage Against the Machine, which is all about managing paradoxes during time travel.
  • I ran Beyond the Wall, with a really refreshing playbook system of tables, simple OSR rules, and interesting cantrip/spell mechanics.
  • I borrowed the idea of "Inspiration for flashback planning" from Fiasco.
  • I played in an heavily house rules OSR / Dungeon Crawl Classics medley.
And I'm planning on running Lady Blackbird (streamlined OSR + "keys" from Shadow of Yesterday) and Skate Wizards (randomly generate spell names and pitch your idea of what it does to the GM) over the summer.

I highly encourage running other systems if you can find the time/energy for it – some great ideas out there that I've enjoyed being exposed to.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
The slightly longer answer....

For 2e, 3e (especially 3.5) and 4e I was ready to move on before the new edition hit. B/X and 1e are not as straight forward, but the pattern basically holds. A new edition did not ruin the older one. But I could stay with 5e for a while. That is a difference (if 5.50 is better I could also still use some of that, if it is better).

As for non-D&D, again, I don't think 5e has made me any more judgemental. I was always pretty judgemental, but also enjoyed other games. You could argue that broader improvements in game design matter. But then this just makes me want to play other (newer) games!

The real issue is more that there is still a lot do with 5e, and it may be a little easier to do then play other games.

Remove ads