Hasbro Double Downgraded by Bank of America.

"Per Hasbro, the sale includes the parts of eOne’s TV and film operations “not directly supporting the company’s branded entertainment strategy,” and “Hasbro will maintain the capability to develop and produce animation, digital shorts, scripted TV and theatrical films for audiences related to core Hasbro IP.”

That means brands like “Peppa Pig,” “Transformers,” “Dungeons & Dragons,” “Magic: The Gathering,” “My Little Pony,” “Power Rangers,” “Play-Doh,” and “Monopoly” and “Clue” are not only excluded from the sale, but will see “significant development, production and financing capabilities” support across film, TV, animation and digital shorts."

The rumoured possibility is confirmed, the question is given that these properties were making Hasbro money, what is worth selling them to reinvest in? Expanding the parts of Eone that remain? Maybe expanding Wizards of the Coast?

I assume that they will be renamed to Hasbro Entertainment or Wizards of the Coast Entertainment (or hell maybe they'll just straight up merge it into Wizards of the Coast like they did with Digital Licensing).

And I wonder who the prospective buyers are? Netflix or Sony or Paramount I'm guessing. Could be Amazon or Apple I guess, but I think Amazon would prefer to just buy Hasbro period, especially with Hasbro's stock crash, especially if it goes lower.

Here more of Rudy taking shots at WotC/Hasbro.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You think we are missing a buy opportunity and it is undervalued? Go ahead, spend all your money on it.

Or maybe think a little why defense stocks went down after the midterm results and progress in Ukraine war....
Mod Note:

This is getting close to crossing a line Re: politics we don’t permit here. Please don’t go further down this path, thank you.

I haven't enough information to give an opinion about a hypothetical buble of the M:tG cards. Teorically Hasbro's strategy was getting ready for a upcoming bad economic years, or "years of flat cows". Maybe the buble bursts now because somebody wants Hasbro's stock shares lost value then cheaper to be bought (and then awaiting the years of "flat cows" or with a good economy). But something strange is happening. Amazon and Disney, two important partners of Hasbro, aren't in the best time now.

And if there is a global economic crisis soon, then the people will have to save money, and this means less expenses in entertaiment. If a companies doesn't got well it may be aquired by a "bigger fish" but now even Blackrock, maybe the most important investment funds in the world is said to go bankrupt. Blackrock is one of investors of Hasbro and other companies.

* I think Magic: Beyond Universe is a right marketing strategy, because this is a product not only for M:tG players but fandom collectors.

I haven't enough information to give an opinion about a hypothetical buble of the M:tG cards. Teorically Hasbro's strategy was getting ready for a upcoming bad economic years, or "years of flat cows". Maybe the buble bursts now because somebody wants Hasbro's stock shares lost value then cheaper to be bought (and then awaiting the years of "flat cows" or with a good economy). But something strange is happening. Amazon and Disney, two important partners of Hasbro, aren't in the best time now.

And if there is a global economic crisis soon, then the people will have to save money, and this means less expenses in entertaiment. If a companies doesn't got well it may be aquired by a "bigger fish" but now even Blackrock, maybe the most important investment funds in the world is said to go bankrupt. Blackrock is one of investors of Hasbro and other companies.

* I think Magic: Beyond Universe is a right marketing strategy, because this is a product not only for M:tG players but fandom collectors.

It's a different Blackrock that went bankrupt sadly, not The Blackrock, but BR did lose over 1.7 trillion dollars.

Art Waring

halozix.com
Stupid questions for Americans? The $999 30th edition boosters does that probably exclude tax?
Before tax, after tax it comes to like $1100. This is really bad for countries like Brazil, where 1000 US is about 10000 Brazilian currency (enough to buy a car). They are effectively priced out of magic for good if this is the new trend.

Art Waring

halozix.com
Yeah just fact checking that video.
Did some further reading. Odds of popping a mox is 1%. One went for $3000 recently similar in price to an original one (unlimited?).

100 packs are $25k that could give you several pieces for f power no idea how much a black lotus would go for.

Can't use them in game but they might have some value as collectables idk.
The story on this is that the ebay seller is a decent fellow. Speculators were pushing up the price for the mox, and the winning bid was from an account with 0% feedback. The seller, after talking to the community, decided to cancel the sale and wait until the set has been out long enough for prices to become more realistic.

Nobody knows what these cards are actually worth yet, being unplayable proxies, and from many expert perspectives these cards will likely crash the secondary market (whats the point of paying for a vintage mox if they are now reprinting proxy versions as much as they want to).

The issue is wotc manipulating the secondary market for profit. If the price of vintage cards crashes (many older RL cards are already dropping down to half their value because collectors are liquidating their collections), then their new cards aren't worth anything at all either (because they are projecting the sets "value" based on the real vintage cards).

Putting that aside, what if you wanted to do a draft tournament to experience what it was like to draft alpha packs? Well, for that experience you will be paying $10,000 US to get enough packs to draft with, before tax (that's over 100,000 Brazilian currency).

Add to this rising costs of living and inflation, and cards have never been so expensive. What is the players response? They simply aren't buying anything. Look at every recent collectors box, all of them are down to half the retail price from release (meaning retailers and LGS' lost a lot of money).

News reports state the FLGS' have been unable to sell 7 out of 8 mtg products, and are overloaded with backstock that they cannot sell or return. The people who are suffering the worst are the game stores. Wotc doesn't really care about LGS' anymore, with direct to amazon distribution and secret lairs, game stores can't survive on mtg, and are being forced to adapt by changing their business model away from mtg.

Last edited:

Scribe

Legend
The people who are suffering the worst are the game stores. Wotc doesn't really care about LGS' anymore, with direct to amazon distribution and secret lairs, game stores can't survive on mtg, and are being forced to adapt by changing their business model away from mtg.
This is the kicker. Any LGS I have spoken to, has survived on MTG sales and foot traffic generated by MTG.

Granted I'm not in a booming metropolis.

Art Waring

halozix.com
This is the kicker. Any LGS I have spoken to, has survived on MTG sales and foot traffic generated by MTG.

Granted I'm not in a booming metropolis.
A LGS I frequented for years, almost exclusively mtg, were literally dumping their entire mtg stock, and this was over two years ago I think I was last in a LGS in the US.

I walked in last time I was in the area, and they had piles and piles of cards on every table in the shop, their entire mtg stock, and the single employee behind the counter. We started talking, and they said C-19 killed their mtg business, and they were forced to dump their stock in bulk on ebay. Already sold off singles and just getting rid of the bulk commons in grab bags.

This was before the current situation, where stores cant make any kind of profit on sealed product because of the direct to amazon issue.

At the time the only other product they had in the store was a final fantasy ccg.

Remove ads