WotC Hasbro gains big time from D&D, Magic, Monopoly, and Baldur's Gate 3

Oofta

Legend
At the risk of bringing this thread back on topic, I missed this part of your post back in the beginning of the thread. Isn't there a licensed D&D Lego set coming out next year? If that does well, I wonder if we could see more licensed Lego sets. There's definitely a void in the current Lego market for some good castle theme sets, could be a good arrangement for both Hasbro and Lego.

That would be interesting. I could see some crossover between people who buy them just because they like Legos, people who want relatively cheap minis, people who could justify their love of toys by claiming to do it only for the second reason. I may or may not fall into that third category. :)

It definitely seems like they are more likely to license than produce a fair amount of stuff themselves, it shifts the financial burden and risk.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Sorry. I'm not being clear. My point is no one cares now. Even at the time, it really wasn't penetrating much beyond certain corners. But, it might have spread further if WotC had stuck to its guns. But they didn't. They walked back the changes and we won. Why keep relitigating it every single time?
Ah, OK. In that case, I agree. Case in point: me. :D

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
No one has said that no one cared. While the majority of people who play didn't know about it, enough people were unhappy with the direction that WOTC changed course before implementation.
Well, the post I was replying to seemed (to me) to imply this, so I asked a clarification.

That would be interesting. I could see some crossover between people who buy them just because they like Legos, people who want relatively cheap minis, people who could justify their love of toys by claiming to do it only for the second reason. I may or may not fall into that third category. :)

It definitely seems like they are more likely to license than produce a fair amount of stuff themselves, it shifts the financial burden and risk.
No idea what their sales look like, but the Super Mario Lego sets could be a blueprint for Lego to follow to create modular playable dungeon sets. Much like BG3, no real risk to Hasbro and they get to cash a check for minimal effort.

mamba

Legend
If you go back, I didn't start this. That would be @Reynard who brought it up. I then tried to stay out for pages of posts. Then, I failed my Wis save and posted my actual opinion.
They wondered how many of those that left over the OGL would return and buy the 2024 books, then nothing happens for five pages or so (there is no discussion you are staying out of, it simply is not being discussed…), until you posted your double-whammy. You did your best to turn it into this. Congratulations, you succeeded

Last edited:

mamba

Legend
Sorry. I'm not being clear. My point is no one cares now. Even at the time, it really wasn't penetrating much beyond certain corners. But, it might have spread further if WotC had stuck to its guns. But they didn't. They walked back the changes and we won. Why keep relitigating it every single time?
I consider this thread proof that some people still care… are those fewer than it would have been if WotC did not reverse course, absolutely, but none is again factually wrong, just like your claim of no impact on their business

But if hypothetically he's unhappy with the company and thinks in his position he can at least protect some of the important elements of D&D to remain as the game evolves, it might be worth it. For all we know, he very well could be one of the biggest advocates for minimal changes in the 2024 rule updates. 🤷‍♂️
That's not terribly convincing either though, is it? It doesn't seem like WotC are particularly interested in messing with 5E's rules, per se. And he'd have little or no power to stop them if they did.

That's not terribly convincing either though, is it? It doesn't seem like WotC are particularly interested in messing with 5E's rules, per se. And he'd have little or no power to stop them if they did.
People do all kinds of things that don't make sense to other people, the only person that needs to be convinced is the person doing the thing. 🤷‍♂️

Oofta

Legend
No idea what their sales look like, but the Super Mario Lego sets could be a blueprint for Lego to follow to create modular playable dungeon sets. Much like BG3, no real risk to Hasbro and they get to cash a check for minimal effort.
I would love Lego terrain myself. I like painting minis so that's not a problem but terrain pieces I've purchased have always been a pretty hit or miss, mostly miss.

IIRC they're selling off bits and pieces they had been developing in-house. Licensing means lower profit but also significantly less risk. It will be interesting to see what Larian does, I know they'd like to do two projects at once. Maybe another D&D game and a Divine Divinity?

Remove ads