D&D 5E Have you actually read the 5e DMG?

Have you read the 5e DMG attentively from cover to cover?

• Yes, I read the DMG from cover to cover as a DM

Votes: 121 57.1%
  • I only read the portions I need as a DM and discover the rules over time

Votes: 85 40.1%
  • I don't read the DMG because I'm a player

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I read the DMG even though I'm a player

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • No but my DM informed me of all the available choices

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No but my DM informs me of the choices available in his/her campaign.

Votes: 2 0.9%

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I think we need a few more voting options for being a DM and having not read it, barely read it, skimmed it, etc.
I don't even own it yet. I've been meaning to get it, but whenever I gather the money, something more interesting comes out and I end up getting it instead. Honestly I've been doing well with the basic rules +Xanathar. At this point the only reason to get it is to complete the core books.

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
From memory (which may be wrong) the 3.0 one was pretty good while the 3.5 one was mostly a waste of paper.
I never really looked through the 3.0 dmg, it felt kinda useless by the time I started playing 3.5.

but idk it's kind of a content issue, 3.5 is like "a katana is a masterwork longsword" yeah w/e, 5e is like "here are ideas for alternate types of currency" OH YES this is the naughty word this is what I'm here for give me these weird worldbuilding ideas.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I voted cover to cover because I did sit down and go through each section in the DMG in the order they appeared. But there were portions in many sections that I skimmed.

Was going to say the same thing. Wasn't sure how to vote. There are some areas I just don't feel the need to read fully if I'm not running a campaign that involves it.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
Like others, I have been through five editions of the same game, plus a number of spinoffs and variants. For almost four decades, I have read, played, discussed, argued, and shared advice from a large number of sources and materials, including blogs, forums, videos, magazines, and table groups.

So when I looked through the 5e DMG for the first time, I was underwhelmed, to say the least. Needless to say, I have not felt any compulsion to open it since except on the rare occasion I needed to reference a particular rule or item. But as far as being innovative or inspiring, I find myself looking more often at pevious editions (particularly 4th Edition stuff), articles and videos from alternate sources, or other game system guides for GMs.

This thread, however, got me curious enough to see if I was missing something. I hadn't cracked the book open in a long time, so I looked over it again when I had some time to kill. As it turns out, nothing had changed and I still felt the same way.

However, I now recognize that the book is a collection of some of the best advice learned through all the years of design, development, and practice with the game through every iteration since the beginning. For someone like myself, it doesn't really offer a lot of new or innovative ideas. But for newcomers, new DMs, and even lapsed players, it provides a solid, stable foundation of advice and tips learned from the past, adapted for the present, and should be carried forward into the future. ;)

JeffB

Legend
However, I now recognize that the book is a collection of some of the best advice learned through all the years of design, development, and practice with the game through every iteration since the beginning. For someone like myself, it doesn't really offer a lot of new or innovative ideas. But for newcomers, new DMs, and even lapsed players, it provides a solid, stable foundation of advice and tips learned from the past, adapted for the present, and should be carried forward into the future. ;)

I agree, for someone new(er), it's a very good DMG. Not quite as good for complete new folks as the 4E DMG*, but very good nonetheless.

* And if you look very carefully, they lifted some bits for the 5E DMG from the 4E DMG, verbatim

R_J_K75

Legend
And if you look very carefully, they lifted some bits for the 5E DMG from the 4E DMG, verbatim

I've seen this in quite a few places throughout the editions, FR sourcebooks being the worst. As far as the DMG I read bits and pieces (same with the PHB) as it seemed once I started reading them, except for the parts that were blatantly new, most entries it seemed I'd read it somewhere before in one iteration or another. The one time I did try and read the PHB from cover to cover I was bored to tears halfway through the class section. Monster Manual I've briefly skimmed on multiple occasions, I just mostly concentrate on whatever creature Im using for an adventure I'm writing.

HarbingerX

Rob Of The North
I think the 5e DMG is full of great advice and useful tips. As is usual with DMG's, you don't really need it most of the time other than for the treasure section. But it is a good idea to peruse through it as you may be surprised at what they've included.

4e did have a great DMG for learning how to run the game, I just didn't find the system fun to play.

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
* And if you look very carefully, they lifted some bits for the 5E DMG from the 4E DMG, verbatim
idk though, I came to realize some bits of the 4e dmg were lifted from the 3.5 dmg2 lol. in fact I felt like dmg2 was the precursor to the 4e dmg.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases