Healing while in combat

daddystabz

Explorer
I just want to make sure I completely understand how healing works while in combat works in 4e. You can only use a healing surge while in combat by using a second wind and you can only use second wind once per encounter, right? The only other chance to heal while in combat is if you or an ally use a power that lets you spend a healing surge, otherwise your surges can only be using during rest. Is this correct?

Last edited:

burntgerbil

Explorer
Yup. I was scared at first, but look at cleric, paladin and some warlord powers - quite a few let one or more players use healing surges immediately - no action.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Having played it, yes, it's scary at low levels.

But no more so than in previous editions when the cleric runs out of healing.

That said, it will STAY scary, even when your cleric and warlord are high level. The party might end up with 1 or 2 more healing abilities, but it won't be like the previous edition where, when everyone's almost dead, the cleric just casts mass cure and everyone is ok again. He might be able to cast a similar thing, but chances are it's going to be a minor help, not the cure-all that mass spells used to be.

Otterscrubber

First Post
Saeviomagy said:
Having played it, yes, it's scary at low levels.

But no more so than in previous editions when the cleric runs out of healing.

That said, it will STAY scary, even when your cleric and warlord are high level. The party might end up with 1 or 2 more healing abilities, but it won't be like the previous edition where, when everyone's almost dead, the cleric just casts mass cure and everyone is ok again. He might be able to cast a similar thing, but chances are it's going to be a minor help, not the cure-all that mass spells used to be.

Actually, there are a ton of healing powers out there for a few classes. And if some folks multiclass into a healing class there is more. As far as scaling goes, I think it scales quite well as monster damage does not go up quite as fast as the value of a healing surge in a lot of cases that I've seen. I haven't played in a ton of high level missions, just done some pit fits against some hastily created high level toons vs some high level creatures, but it seems to work well. That and there are quite a few magic items/feats out there that add to the value of your surge as well as let you take more surges in combat. A lot of the higher level cleric powers even heal you without burning any of your surges, which is really nice.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Healing potions are quite effective at first or second level. Use it as a minor action to spend a healing surge and regain 10 hp. That's more than a lot of characters will heal with a second wind, plus it's an extra heal you can do in a fight.

Bandreus

First Post
Even if I don't love the new HP concept behind 4E, the healing surge mechanics are quite good. Given in a party of 4 to 6 ppl you'll have quite a bunch of powers that let you use an healing surge, plus Second Wind/potions, adventurers are able to take on more encounters before needing a long break.

In 3E, time to rest basicly was as far as healing spells were still available.
Consider 4E abounds in other means of healing, especially at paragon/epic levels. Regeneration and temp HP come to mind. And it was allready said higher level poers let you heal without using HSs.

Surges are more about the lenght of your adventuring day, while the healing powers/actions/items pool matters more for one single encounter. Me like this

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Saeviomagy said:

I think I like that. I like the idea of combat being somewhat scary at all levels of play.

However, I also get a sneaking suspicion that this will even further contribute to the feeling that you're just playing with bigger numbers, at higher levels, which again makes me question the point of ever-increasing numbers.

Stogoe

First Post
Byronic said:
Don't forget the Heal skill
A Heal check lets you trigger someone else's Second Wind, but your Second Wind is still just once per encounter. So if someone makes a Heal check on you, you can't use your Second Wind again in the same fight.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases