• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heavy Artillery: Psion vs. Wizard

Spatula

Explorer
Scion said:
Note, it was the example given by the other guy.
EB said the psion can manifest energy ball. He didn't say that the psion would manifest it right on top of himself. The truth is, a psion with a good Concentration bonus (which is pretty much all of them) is not hindered any way by being grappled, except that he can't move around and is susceptable to sneak attacks. A grappled kineticist can still toss energy balls all over the battlefield as long as he can make the DC 20 Concentration check. And since making use of the psionic focus also involves a DC 20 Concentration check, most psions are going to optimize their Concentration.

Other casters have to actually give the matter some thought and make preparations for the possibility that they will be grappled.

Scion

First Post
While it is not mentioned it seems it would be just as easy to cover someones eyes as it would be to cover their mouth (assuming the proper conditions).

Also, energy ball was mentioned as being used and the other option of brain lock implies useing it on the one grappling with you. Along with wanting to get out of the grapple before being killed by it, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

However, it doesnt matter much, psions gain a pretty small bonus really. They dont have to worry as much about avoiding such a situation. Anyone who actually plans for it will not be hindered by it much more, or even at all, than the psion.

Since it is already a marginal choice to begin with in the majority of cases, and it is easy enough to get around/avoid with a variety of spells/powers/item, and with a bit of thought then other caster types wont be hindered by it too greatly it just isnt a huge benefit.

Benefit? yes. Huge benefit? not even close.

of course, all of that I have said from the beginning.

nimisgod

LEW Judge
Which is effectively the same for the wizard. The only difference is somatic components, which can be gotten around a number of ways as well.

So, the psion;s lack of somatic components is an issue, rather than a non-issue. I mean, why would you want to go around it if it was of so little benefit...

Majere

First Post
*sighs folornly*
I just found the most broken combination in terms of damage/day
Its a completely false comparisson but proves a point about having to put things up against real monsters

Most damage/day: Psion
Energy Current (9pp)
- Damage 9d6
- Duration concentration. (to 1r/l)

Given a 10th level psi wih 128 pps. the is equivalent to:
9d6*10*14= 4410 damage per day
This thrashes the ass off of any sorcerer spell combination.

Broken combination
Energy current (9pps), Solicit psi crystal(5pps+1pp/r)

ITs a bit of a burn, but our psi can on the second round inflict a horrible amount of damage from:
Energy current
A normal power
A scismed power
A quickened power

Thats a hell of a burn out yes, but will kill most things very dead very fast.
The energy current, Solicit combination works great for massacreing BBEG's.

Majere

Psion

Adventurer
Majere said:
*sighs folornly*
I just found the most broken combination in terms of damage/day
Its a completely false comparisson but proves a point about having to put things up against real monsters

Well, as long as you realize that. ;)

I still wonder if that power is a little on the strong side. It's most comparable to chain lightning, which is one level higher.

Pro (compared to chain lightining)
- Concentration duration
- The usual multi-element thing

Con:
- Close range (Chain lightning is LONG range). You will be a target.
- Fewer secondary targets
- Kineticist specific

Though you can't make a straight up comparison of these points, I am dubious about if it deserves to be a level lower than chain lightning. Still, it wouldn't be a shoo-in power choice for me, and especially, not one I would take a feat to get if the character was not a kineticist.

Nail

First Post
Scion said:
Benefit? yes. Huge benefit? not even close.
Again, this will all depend on how nice your DM is to your spell casters. For many, many monsters, Impr. Grab is an issue to be worried about. (I'll assume you agree with that.)

If so, then both the psion and the Wiz/Sor have to prepare for it. Let's see how many resources each has to spend:

Wiz/Sor: must have Dim. Door/teleport ready, hopefully at least twice, just in case. Only the wizard will have the opportunity to try other Silenced or Stilled options. Even so, by the 3rd (or 5th???) encounter of the day, the wiz/Sor might be out of luck.

Psion: No advance preparation necessary; can do it as often as required, given pp's available.

Which is better off? Which must spend more time and effort to ward off a situation which may (or may not!) occur?

Now, as for "huge benefit": As long as the Fighter is the only one being grappled in your game, you're safe. Keep your fingers crossed! :)

(Meanwhile: give me yer DMs email....I'd be happy to discuss strategy with him!)

Nail

First Post
SorrenI notice one of the other players in the group is playing a Rog/Sor. I know this is OT, but: how's that working out for him? A former player had a Rog/Sor, and thought it was....uhmmm....not as exciting as he had hoped! :)

Last edited:

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Scion said:
So the psion has up a bunch of powers and is going to be blasted by his own energy ball? How is this a valid comparison again?

Well, the psion needn't worry too much about the energy ball if he's got his energy resistance power up. (And most mid-high level psions will usually have it up). However, that wasn't what I meant and everyone else seems to have understood that. Heavy artillery characters do not operate in a vacuum any more than fighters or clerics do--generally, they are a part of a party.

To expand the example and clarify what I meant for you: if the psion is grappled by a monk summoned giant crocodile on the other side of the battle, he can still drop an energy ball on the group of hobgoblins attempting to flank the party, Brain Lock the barbarian, or do anything else he would ordinarily do to defeat his foes despite being grappled.

The wizard can have an appropriate rod in hand ahead of time and not worry much about it.

May I nominate this for "most ludicrous contention of the thread?" Unless you count the metamagic rod as a club, the wizard can now be grappled without the feat since he is unarmed (the other hand has to be free to cast spells). In general, a wizard with access to a metamagic rod will have one that is more generally useful (like empower) in hand. Even so, metamagic rods only work up to a certain spell level and higher level rods are prohibitively expensive.

And finally, there IS no metamagic rod of still spell in the DMG.

Maybe he will have up a contingency that works whenever he is in certain situations, or says a certain word. Perhaps he has an item that will help with this situation (ring of freedom of movement, cape of the mountebak, or any of a hundred others).

Contingency is a good option but since wizards are limited to one contingency at a time, there's no guarantee that it will be an anti-grapple contingency. In my experience, a lot of Sor/Wiz characters DO have an anti-grapple contingency but that's a rather significant expended resource and rather cuts against your denigration of grapple as a marginal combat option. It is the single most devastating combat option against traditional spellcasters and those who are successful spend quite a few resources in order to resist it.

As for the other options you mention, only the ring of freedom of movement actually changes the equation of grapple for traditional caster=1+ rounds of non-contribution but grapple for a psion=0 rounds of non-contribution. The cape of the montebank is just dimension door. That's still a round of non-contribution. And, except at the very highest levels, that ring is a rather expensive item.

Both will be grappled, both will have to make the concentration check. The psion will be able to manifest his powers without having to worry about a somatic component, the wizard should have something preped ahead of time for just this sort of situation.

The wizard (or sorceror) may have something prepped but, in the vast majority of cases, it takes him out of the action for that one round. The psion stays in the action full time even when grappled. When APL+2 and APL +3 encounters often take only 2-3 rounds before being decided one way or the other, that round of inaction will make a very big difference to the outcome of the combat.

I really dont see a huge bonus here. One still has to worry but with enough ranks in concentration he'll be able to be almost as effective before. Strangely the wizard is in almost the same boat. Enough ranks in concentration and some minor planning ahead of time.

Minor and easy planning, maybe. The resources used by that planning, however, are not minor until high levels.

Easy enough. Once again, it is just like a fighter type who completely ignores a mode of combat.

Sure. And enabling a fighter type to completely ignore one mode of combat would be a VERY big advantage. I see a lot of archers taking two levels of Order of the Bow Initiate for close combat shot and that doesn't enable archers to ignore melee combat (they're still very vulnerable to trip and sunder manuevers) nearly as well as the lack of somatic and material components enables psions to ignore grapple.

Anyway, lets look at how grapple works.

1st: Aoo provoked. If this deals any damage at all then the grapple attempt fails. This can be gotten around by spending a feat.

It can also be evaded by having a high armor class. Neither psions nor sorcerors nor wizards are known for having a high attack bonus. Or by having DR. Mid-high level barbarians are unlikely to take any damage from a wizard's dagger. Characters in adamantine heavy armor will ignore the dagger more than half the time.

2nd: Melee touch attack. There are many spells and protective items to make this sort of thing more difficult. Fighter types will generally be able to make this pretty easily, but it is still an important step (worried about grapples? be displaced, blinking, blured, mirror imaged, phased, whatever.. have a high touch attack AC through whatever means, generally a good idea for a caster type anyway, these are general defenses to help out their poor hp, so none of this is out of order)

An important step to be sure but all of the options you mention (other than blink which I generally consider to make one practically immune to grapples) are equally effective against ordinary attacks and many of them are effective against magical attacks too.

3rd: Hold. Opposed grapple checks as a free action. It is even possible for the caster to win at this (athough highly unlikely). Or with a few spells/items they can be incredibly resistant, or even immune (if you are 2 or more size categories above the grappler then you automatically succeed vs them).

Now you're blowing smoke. The ring of free action is already mentioned (though it's worth pointing out that Freedom of Movement is available to psions as a power but not to wizards as a spell). As for the spells/items, the +5 bonus from Enlarge Person is not sufficient to bring a wizard's grapple check up to par, except at the lowest levels. And most wizards don't walk around enlarged anyway--except for grapples, they gain very few advantages from it and feel the disadvantages somewhat more keenly than some other characters. Absent polymorph (with which a caster will generally not assume a form that has a huge grapple advantage (huge size, high strength, etc) unless he is planning on engaging in combat in that form), and various potential countergrapple spells (gaseous form, blink, dimension door, teleport, ghost form, etc--all of which would primarily be useful in this context, only after the grapple has begun), there's not much that will let the wizard evade grapples. And even those don't make the grapple a failure--they simply make it a temporary disadvantage rather than a combat-ender (for the sor/wiz).

4th: maintain. This requires more grapple checks later on, but initially you have to move into your opponents space. In other words, if the caster is mounted then likely you cannot enter a grapple with them. If they are flying and the grappler is not then it is probably a dm call. If they are some sort of form that the grappler cannot get all the way up against (in the same square) then the grapple fails.

First things first. That's only for ordinary grapples. Improved grab pulls the victim into the creature's space. And Improved Grab is what characters face at least as often as ordinary grapples.

Second, I've yet to meet a DM who would buy either the "I'm mounted, you can't enter my space" or the "I'm flying, you can't grapple me" argument. I know I certainly wouldn't buy either. The mounted grapple would probably be treated as either pulling the rider off his steed (possilby requiring another check) or grabbing onto the steed and both combatants in the grapple being mounted (similar to Aragorn and Sharku's battle while riding or hanging onto the Worg from in the Two Towers film). The flying grapple would probably be treated either as the grappler grabbing onto the flyer (and possibly being pulled off the ground) or the flyer being pulled to the ground.

Now, at this point it can still be foiled by a simple ring of freedom of movement or a few other items/spells.

I believe this is the third time you've mentioned that fact. However, there's nothing "simple" about a ring of freedom of movement. For nearly half of the a character's career, that costs more money than the character is likely to have in total. Moreover, not every PC or NPC will have such a ring. They tend to be rare due to their cost.

Then, we get down to actually doing the grappling (assuming everything went well for the grappler). This is likely a much slower way to kill the opponent,

Absent constrict or rake, that's true. With either of those abilities, it's either just as fast as not being grappled (rake) or even faster (constrict).

although it does potentially take one member out of combat (they are still able to do things however, even then). It also takes the grappler out as well.

And taking one enemy out of combat in return for being "out of combat" yourself is very often a good trade. If the enemy outnumbers the PCs, it's nearly always a good trade. If the enemy does not outnumber the PCs, it is still often a good trade as long as it disadvantages the PCs more than it disadvantages said enemy. A shambling mound or assassin vine, for instance, is almost always better off grappling a foe than not doing so. A monk or warrior who is outnumbered may well need to think before grappling the wizard but, absent rogues or given fortification armor, it is usually a good idea.

So, even once all of this has occured, all it does vs the mage is make him unable to use some spells. Say that this particular mage is dumb and has no plan for this sort of thing (as is evident from failing everything above as well and he rolls poorly).

You seem to have the strange idea that mages always begin combat with all their defenses up (and never get dispelled--one of the first things to happen to any obviously buffed NPC spellcaster in the games I play in and something that isn't uncommon against buffed PC spellcasters either). Since you didn't mention a single sor/wiz defense with a duration higher than 1 min/level (FOM is 10 min/level but isn't on the Sor/Wiz list) and several of them (displacement, blink, etc) are 1 round/level, that's not very realistic. And, considering that the touch attack is the only situation where a wizard is likely to foil the grapple, the fact that only a fully prepared wizard with min/level spells is going to foil that does not justify calling the wizard dumb. For a wizard, preparation consists of a way to get out after being grappled (thus forfeiting one round) not a way to avoid being grappled in the first place.

Effectively he will take some damage, but the rest of his party gets to do bad things to the grappler, so this means that less spells are used by the wizard potentially, less damage is caused to him overall, and in the end it was actually a worse option than just beating him up with the sword a good portion of the time (not always).

This is why I dont see it as being a very big bonus. It isnt a great strategy most of the time to begin with, there are a dozen easy ways to become resistant/immune (and several more difficult to do the same), and, in the end, all it does is save some of the casters spells so that he can actually do more in later battles that day.

Woo.

Three things.

First, you are obviously only looking at this from a PC's perspective. If you look at it from an NPC's perspective, it looks very different. Against a group of NPCs, it is very often the first thought of PCs to grapple the spellcasters and thus take them out of the fight. The NPC gets to inflict harm on the party for two rounds rather than being grappled while flatfooted and never being able to do anything is a HUGE difference that merits more than a "woo." (And, even if, at low levels, the NPC only makes half the concentration checks, that's still much better).

Second, you're falling prey to the tendency to exaggerate. There are not a dozen ways to be immune to grapples. You mention three:
Ring of Freedom of Movement
Being two sizes bigger than the foe (practical only through polymorph/metamorph and shapechange).
Contingent forms of the above

To this, I added a few more:
Blink
Gaseous Form
Ghost Form
Improved Blink

However, that's still only six ways, only a few of which are actually practical when non-contingent (freedom of movement, Improved Blink, Shapechange, and Ghost Form).

Third, the party does not always get to do "bad things" to the grappler. Against a party with a lot of archers or spellcasters, it's actually safer to be in a grapple (where there's a 50% chance that any non Improved Precise ranged attack will hit your victim and a 100% chance that any area effect attack will damage your victim too). A lot of foes will only have a dex bonus of one or two so grappling doesn't really make them significantly more vulnerable to the fighter types. Really, the only character who can really do bad things to a grappling foe is a rogue--and even then, only if the foe is vulnerable to sneak attacks. Often a grappling foe is at a disadvantage vis a vis the other members of the party but not always.

So, for a fairly lackluster option, psions are slightly better off because they still have most of their options open even if pinned. Of course there are so many other things that are going on here that most of the time it just isnt a good option to grapple someone to begin with. Also, for those few times when it does happen if the caster does not have a thought in mind then he, again, deserves to die. Just like the fighter type who completely ignores a mode of combat (what do you mean I cant charge the guy 20' up and 200' away? how come he keeps on hitting me every round?).

Grapple is a much more effective option than you give it credit for being. I suspect you haven't had much experience with either improved grab monsters or grappling focussed PCs.

Scion

First Post
Nail said:
Again, this will all depend on how nice your DM is to your spell casters. For many, many monsters, Impr. Grab is an issue to be worried about. (I'll assume you agree with that.)

As I went through above, the grapple rules are fairly unimpressive. Also, many creatures will be doing 'less' damage to a grappled foe than otherwise (only one weapon may be used, so if the creature has both a claw and bite attack it must choose which one it will use). If it likes to do other things while grappling (like defend itself) then it gets a -20 to all of its grapple checks.

Improved grab is nice, but most of the time monsters with Trip are much more worriesome! ;)

Some creatures are designed with grappling in mind and those can be pretty dangerous. However, mainly only for one on one battles (which a ring of free action makes the wearer simply immune to).

Nail said:
If so, then both the psion and the Wiz/Sor have to prepare for it. Let's see how many resources each has to spend:

Wiz/Sor: must have Dim. Door/teleport ready, hopefully at least twice, just in case. Only the wizard will have the opportunity to try other Silenced or Stilled options. Even so, by the 3rd (or 5th???) encounter of the day, the wiz/Sor might be out of luck.

Psion: No advance preparation necessary; can do it as often as required, given pp's available.

Of course, we know that the wizard has to think about it slightly more, that was said from the beginning.

But then, there are quite a few various items which will help render immune/resistant, and those items are good to have even when ignoring the existance of grappling.

The psion might or might not have a power available which will help, the sorc is a bit stuck of course, but then I believe several people in this thread and others have said that the sorc is a bit under the curve in a few areas anyway.

Psion slighter better off? sure. Much better off? nah. It isnt an incredible combat tactic to begin with the majority of the time and with a little planning it can be gotten around completely.

Sure, by the 5th battle of the day (or even the third really) the wizard is probably out of options for it. Of course, if hitting 3+ different combats with grapplers is commonplace then they had better start thinking about it!

So apparently we have a mage who is in his base form, has no defensive items which are useable, the opponent has at least one feat/special ability to negate the aoo, the mage fails at a couple different grapple checks, has no allies, and has spent no thought on the matter then he is in a worse position than a psion who is in the same boat. All right.

I am still failing to see the awe inspiring power boost that this entails. Seems incredibly slight actually. Sortof like the difference between someone with a bow that shoots 100' vs the guy who has a bow that shoots 110'. Sure, the guy with the second bow can shoot farther whenever the need is there, but most of the time the need simply isnt there.

Nail

First Post
Elder-Basilisk said:
Grapple is a much more effective option than you give it credit for being. I suspect you haven't had much experience with either improved grab monsters or grappling focussed PCs.
It's an extremely effective tactic....even against the all-powerful fighter!

In one of our recent games (where I DM) a wyvern attacked the party. He won init, and attacked the first guy in the marching order: the Fighter. The wyvern hit, Improved Grappled, and took the fighter down. The cleric ran up...and next round, the wyvern took a -20 on the grapple, then did a full attack on the cleric. Ouch! Two rounds later, the wyvern fled (those nasty archers!), leaving the poor fighter behind...who, by this time, had managed to break the grapple and free himself.

The point is: grapple is one of those "great equalizers" in the game. In my example above, the fighter went from "I do the most damage per round!" to "I'm useless until I escape this grapple!".

The psion, OTOH, could have continued to contribute during the combat.....in fact, he might of been able to simply kill the silly wyvern.

OT: Boy, does that fighter PC hate grapples. It happens almost every game. (7th level PCs)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads