• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help with Manyshot

Bozidar

First Post
How does this work, exactly? It says as a standard action you can fire multiple arrows, but what about as a full-round attack?

I get it that an 8th level ranger would be able to shoot two arrows at one target at an adjusted BAB of +4/+4, but how does manyshot affect the full-round attack?

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
I do not believe you can use manyshot when making a full attack. I think manyshot is a special standard action that can not be used in place of a normal attack.

green slime

First Post
Bozidar said:
How does this work, exactly? It says as a standard action you can fire multiple arrows, but what about as a full-round attack?

I get it that an 8th level ranger would be able to shoot two arrows at one target at an adjusted BAB of +4/+4, but how does manyshot affect the full-round attack?

It doesn't affect a full-round attack.

You either take a full-round attack (+8/+3), or a full round attack with rapid shot (+6/+6/+1) in which case you are limited to a 5 foot step, or you can use manyshot, one attack roll at +4 (either both hit or neither hit) and can move either before or after the shot. If you have the Shot on the Run feat, you can move-manyshot-move, where the two moves combined may not exceed your Speed.

The single roll to determine manyshot hit/miss is the reason why precision based damage is applied only once. The idea is you are shooting both arrows with one pull on the bow. This is actually lowers the chance of a hit quite radically.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
green slime said:
If you have the Shot on the Run feat, you can move-manyshot-move, where the two moves combined may not exceed your Speed.

No, you can't...

Shot on the Run requires the Attack Action; Manyshot is a Standard Action, as is the Attack Action, but it is not the Attack Action.

-Hyp.

Darklone

Manyshot is a nice way for several shots in surprise rounds (ambushes) and for moving out of cover and sniping the wizard.

green slime

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
No, you can't...

Shot on the Run requires the Attack Action; Manyshot is a Standard Action, as is the Attack Action, but it is not the Attack Action.

-Hyp.

Well, I see your interpretation, and while I can but agree that by the strict letter of the reules, you are correct, that isn't how I'd run it in my game. Somehow, if some poor schmuck has spent so much on feats, the ability to fire two (or more) arrows with one pull of the bow string while leaping around the battlefield doesn't strike me as particularly unbalanced.

I put this down to unclear editting :D

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
green slime said:
I put this down to unclear editting :D

Well, Andy Collins - who wrote the feat in the first place - has always maintained that it can't be used with Shot on the Run. So it's not that they should be compatible, but poor wording prevents it... it's worded exactly as it was intended.

And the Sage agrees that the wording precludes the two being used together.

I'm afraid allowing them to work together can only be a House Rule, in this case.

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
CrimsonTemplar said:
Here's a thought...if you were hasted could you use shot on the run and manyshot?

Are you talking 3E or 3.5?

In 3E, you could Move, take a single shot with the Attack Action, and Move (using Shot on the Run and your normal complement of actions), and also take a Manyshot with your Haste Partial. Or you could take a normal Move, Manyshot, and then take another normal Move with the Haste Partial, effectively duplicating Shot on the Run without using the feat.

But even with Haste, you can't combine SotR and Manyshot. SotR works with the Attack Action.

In 3.5, the answer's even simpler - No.

-Hyp.

green slime

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Well, Andy Collins - who wrote the feat in the first place - has always maintained that it can't be used with Shot on the Run. So it's not that they should be compatible, but poor wording prevents it... it's worded exactly as it was intended.

And the Sage agrees that the wording precludes the two being used together.

I'm afraid allowing them to work together can only be a House Rule, in this case.

-Hyp.

So I guess it is, because I don't agree with a lot of what Mr Collins says. Mr Collins is rapidly turning into my most popular object of ire.

It requires 6 feats, for goodness sake to be able to pull it off! And then you are still restricted to a single roll of the die, in order to attempt to squeeze out 4.5+str+magic more damage.... whoopee.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads