• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Helping a friend out.

tankiller

First Post
I have a friend that is just starting the game and she wants to play a dwarf fighter. I'm helping her make the fighter but not having alot of experience with them I would like some help with feats. Her stats are as follows. Str 16
Dex 15
Con 18
Int 15
Wis 11
Cha 12
She wants to use 2h weapons and has decided On a greataxe. She will be starting at lv2. I was going with weapon focus greataxe for her lv1 feat but I don't know what to pick for her 2 fighter feats. All wotc books are allowed. If it helps the party is as follows.
Elf cleric
Elf ranger bow
Elf ranger dw
Half elf paly shield and 1h
Elf wizard
Me the changeling rogue
And then her the dwarf 2h fighter
Thank you for your time

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
Please, take all advice given semi-seriously. People will give you very complicated paths to take (for a new player, like you say she is). I'd suggest sticking to something simple, "underpowered", and straightforward, rather than getting optimization advice from this forum. For, while this forum is very knowledgeable, it is also expert-friendly.

My advice for your friend is take to simple feats. Power Attack is pretty straightforward, and it will help her learn the balance of attack vs. damage. Don't take anything complex until she understands the basics (no level dipping for Pounce, in my opinion). I'd also stay away from TOB until she understands how to play.

Just my two cents. But, play what you like :)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The first that springs immediately to mind is Power Attack. After that? Cleave is a natural next choice. If you don't mind damaging treasure, Improved Sunder is also an option.

An alternative idea to Greataxe, though, is the Dwarven Waraxe, which a Dwarf Fighter treats as a martial weapon. It does almost as much damage but can be used 1 handed...which means the Fighter would do nearly as much damage and could have a Shield (which could even be a spiked), meaning higher AC and thus, better survivability. And with Improved Shield Bash and Two Weapon Fighting, you get a TWF Dwarf with a pretty big axe.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Weapon Focus [Greataxe], Power Attack and Cleave are good choices. If starting at 2nd-level, you might (as DM) give her a Masterwork Greataxe. IIRC a 2nd-level PC should have about 900 gp in gear and/or cash on hand.

SuperJebba

First Post
Or to make it really easy on the new guy, use the progressions out of the back of the PHB2. I know people on these forums generally dislike pure fighters, but I really enjoy the fighter feats from the PHB2. I think they give fighters some great new options.

Havoc123456

First Post
if you have the races of stone book, there are dwarf substitute levels for both 1st and 2nd. these levels give d12 HD, axe focus (weapon focus with all axes) at 1st lv and racial foes at 2nd (+2 on damage against orcs, goblinoids, and giants). the axe focus and racial foes replaces the fighter bonus feats.

Fallenibilis

First Post
If you do take the Dwarf Racial Substitution levels (and i would) i would take the 1st level as you shouldn't give up your second feat.

I would also work toward the Deep Warden Prestige Class from Races of the Stone for a 2 level dip to grab stone warden so you can get your Con to your AC instead of your Dex... If you do that maybe a few levels of barbarian might be good cause for the extra skills and extra walloping power.

Fallenibilis

BENINHB

First Post
Deep Warden may be tough to get into without multiclassing Ranger.

But i do agree that is would be a great fit for a new gamer. Relatively simple and makes the fighter a lot tougher (d12 hp, CON to AC, Better Will Save...)

You lose out on Feats for weird animal messenger and other communication abilities, but these can be good too. Situational but comes in handy for springing ambushes, scouting, going around the back to cut off escape, etc...

LiL KiNG

First Post
I'll agree with Danny on the Dwarven Waraxe. Using that one handed with a shield makes for a mean Dwarf Fighter - plus the Dwarf ability to use med/hvy armor (full plate) and still move 20 ft./round means you're now incredibly hard to hit and dishing out respectable damage!

If you have access to the DungeonScape book, there is an alternate class feature build of Fighter in there called the Dungeon Crasher - big focus on bull rushing but the damage return is great - may be slightly confusing for a new player though =/

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads