• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Helping a friend out.

tankiller

First Post
Well she has just seen the dwarves defender and loves the idea of being a dwarven waraxe widelding tank with swords bouncing off her armor.

So sorry to ask this but how would u go about being this tank

Dandu

First Post
Well she has just seen the dwarves defender and loves the idea of being a dwarven waraxe widelding tank with swords bouncing off her armor.

So sorry to ask this but how would u go about being this tank
Why, you should start off as a Dwarf Fighter, of course, who wields a Tower Shield in one hand and a Dwarven Waraxe in the other. For bonus points, tack on some spikes to your armor and shield so you'll be like a walking barricade.

You can never have enough AC, so buy AC increasing items like an Amulet of Natural Armor and the Ring of Deflection. Don't forget to take AC increasing feats like Combat Expertise. When combined with Defending weapons, they will send your AC through the roof.

Put this together and what do you get?

It's pretty bad actually. You occupy a 5 ft square and can only affect the squares in your immediate vicinity. Even if you're enlarged, you still only Large. In an open and mobile battlefield, people will just walk around you (or shoot past you) as they attempt to gank your teammates. It works better in close quarters, but at mid to high levels there will be many means of exotic movement (teleporation, phasing through objects, etc) that you might find yourself outmaneuvered.

Honestly, tanking doesn't work well in D&D because, unlike in WoW, you can't force people to attack you by taunting. The most common reaction to a Dwarfen Defender is for the enemy to walk away at a brisk pace.

Last edited:

tankiller

First Post
Sorry I should have been more specific when I said tank I didn't meen a wow tank but someone that could take a beating and not go down easily to give the cleric a slightly easier time

Dandu

First Post
In core, there's really not much you can do aside from having high hit points, boosting armor class, and trying to hit for as much damage as possible so you eliminate the enemy quicker.

Unfortunately there's not great support for this stuff in core...

Particle_Man

Explorer
Although the CHR racial penalty hurts, she might want to look at the Knight class in PHB II which has a "you must attack me, you cannot ignore me" kinda power. d12 HD too.

But also, check to see if the DM will indulge the noob player with her high hp tank so she will feel like she is contributing meaningfully. If he is going to go all tactical on her, she will likely get bored and frustrated with the character or with the game.

Another way to go might be Dwarven Crusader or Warblade and then multi into the Dwarf only prestige class in Book of Nine Swords.

Actually Crusaders make pretty good "hard to kill" characters, if that is what she is going for and she doesn't mind the wackiness of random powers (a few playing cards to represent them can help here, and is a fun tactical thingy too).

Dandu

First Post
Although the CHR racial penalty hurts, she might want to look at the Knight class in PHB II which has a "you must attack me, you cannot ignore me" kinda power. d12 HD too.
Dream Dwarves take a -2 to Dex and get +2 to Con. No Cha penalty.

Last edited:

R-Hero

Explorer
If she plans on doing fighter w/o multiclassing, the Players Handbook II has several fighter freindly feats that will help with weapon damage.

Races of Stone has a few armor feats t hat might help.

I have always been a propnent of the following for any fighter I've played.
Blind Fight, Power Attack, Cleave, BullHeaded, Lightning Reflexes, Iron Will, Weapon Focus/Specialization.

I personally like 1hw + Shield Bash, but if she wants a two handed build the Spiked Chain gives reach and helps with disarm/trip attacks. Any other two handed weapon really packs a punch with Power Attack. (even the lowly wooden staff)
I think there is a feat that allows a fighter to use a reach weapon, like a glaive, like a normal 5ft reach weapon. I think its in the PH II.

I do not like Sunder under any circumstance. (I want the loot for later!!):D

tankiller

First Post
Thanks guys. Half of our group is newbs so it won't get crazy technical. I will look into some of your suggestions and I will offer up to her my best opinion.

Dandu

First Post
If most of the group is new, I advise you to be careful when picking monsters. Don't use CR as a judge for what the group should be facing.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads