D&D 5E Here Are The Races In The New Eberron Book

According to WotC's Jeremy Crawford, the following eight races appear in Eberron: Rising from the Last War.

According to WotC's Jeremy Crawford, the following eight races appear in Eberron: Rising from the Last War.

ECWPIdDU4AIpBse.jpg

Official versions of previous playtest races: Warforged, Changelings, Kalashtar, Shifters.

Playable versions of: Goblins, Bugbears, Hobgoblins, Orcs.

He goes on to clarifiy that "The playable orc in "Eberron" is a bit different from the orc in "Volo's Guide to Monster's." The playable goblinoids in "Eberron" use the same traits as the ones in "Volo's."

I just took the Half-Orc from the PHB and changed the following:

1). +1 to wisdom, instead of constitution.
2). Insight proficiency, instead of Intimidation.
3). Detect Magic and Protection from Evil and Good 1/long rest each, instead of Savage Attacks.

The Orc Life Cleric in the party was happy with the changes. She said that she felt like her character really could have been from “some kind of 19th century-Lord of the Rings-mirror universe”.

Eberron lore experts: can orcs get dragonmarks, and if so which ones? if they do there might be subclasses for dragonmarked and regular orcs.

MarkB

Legend
Eberron lore experts: can orcs get dragonmarks, and if so which ones? if they do there might be subclasses for dragonmarked and regular orcs.
Under previous version rules, no. As a bit of background, Dragonmarks were deliberately restricted to the then PHB races, as a way to incentivise more people to play those races.

That's less of a concern these days, so it's probably not a design space consideration. Thematically, it certainly wouldn't be a stretch to allow orcs to gain the Mark of Finding.

Aldarc

Legend
The way things are going, a Greyhawk book will probably happen eventually: however, several settings are ahead in line, and we may see several books use Greyhawk piecemeal first, as Ghosts of Saltmarsh does.

When WotC surveyed peopel regarding their favorite settings for D&D, there three tiers:

1. Forgotten Realms (covered), Ravenloft (covered), Eberron (covered), Dark Sun, Planescape, and Dragonlance

2. Greyhawk and Spelljammer

3. Everything else (Mystarra, Birthright, etc.)

In addition to this book, expect to see Dark Sun, Dragonlance and Planecape before Greyhawk. Maybe even Spelljammer, who knows? Greyahwk might be 50th anniversary material, if you ask me.
Minor Correction: Dragonlance was actually Tier 2.

Rhineglade

Adventurer
The way things are going, a Greyhawk book will probably happen eventually: however, several settings are ahead in line, and we may see several books use Greyhawk piecemeal first, as Ghosts of Saltmarsh does.

When WotC surveyed peopel regarding their favorite settings for D&D, there three tiers:

1. Forgotten Realms (covered), Ravenloft (covered), Eberron (covered), Dark Sun, Planescape, and Dragonlance

2. Greyhawk and Spelljammer

3. Everything else (Mystarra, Birthright, etc.)

In addition to this book, expect to see Dark Sun, Dragonlance and Planecape before Greyhawk. Maybe even Spelljammer, who knows? Greyahwk might be 50th anniversary material, if you ask me.
I hear that. However the funny thing about surveys is they are not necessarily accurate. What if all the very young consumers (with no money) like the newer campaign worlds but the older consumers (with more disposable income) like the more traditional Greyhawk? You'd be appeasing the young market but they have no money to buy the said product and the market goes stale quickly. I'm just curious if WotC would venture to even try to market for Greyhawk like they do everything else?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I hear that. However the funny thing about surveys is they are not necessarily accurate. What if all the very young consumers (with no money) like the newer campaign worlds but the older consumers (with more disposable income) like the more traditional Greyhawk? You'd be appeasing the young market but they have no money to buy the said product and the market goes stale quickly. I'm just curious if WotC would venture to even try to market for Greyhawk like they do everything else?

God knows that they haven't made any sudden moves here, so I assume they have been doing my a good amount of careful research. They did that big survey last year for demographic and product info.

We will see the return of Spelljammer, and there is a powerful reason: Hasbro toys. But they need a lot of playtesting and feedback for the rules about vehicles. Let's notice a charriot with a motor could be the end of the chavalry. With a heavy vehicle you could run over a horde of zombies, or be used by a steampunk goblin civilitation againts your PCs.

Isn't curious? I miss the half-ogre. The half-giant could be enough, but I try to create a story about a female half-ogre as a monster girl who feels like the little ugly duckling, like Hodor from "Game of Thrones" but with her happy end (maybe finding the love with a half-oni/ogre magre).

timbannock

Adventurer
Supporter
I find this from WotC somewhat amusing:

"Greyhawk and Dragonlance hew fairly close to the assumptions we used in creating the fifth edition rulebooks, making them much easier to run with material from past editions."

Cant that be said for most settings except for maybe Darksun and Planescape?

I've run Planescape in 5E with minimal work; just had to fit Factions into the 5E rules, and folks have already done that work for me. (Alternative) Only think missing is psionics, which I've never cared about that much, anyway, and there are DMsGuild releases plus the Mystic class that cover enough of that anyway.

Dark Sun is definitely a little harder, I'd imagine.

Remove ads

Remove ads