D&D Movie/TV Here's The D&D Movie Trailer!

"Who needs heroes when you have thieves?" The movie arrives March 3rd, 2023. Here's the trailer! When they said it was inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy, they weren't kidding! We have dragons, owlbears, mimics, gelatinous cubes, quips, and more! There was also a clip shown at San Diego Comic Con where the party cast speak with dead, and got to ask five questions. Also, apparently, the...

"Who needs heroes when you have thieves?" The movie arrives March 3rd, 2023. Here's the trailer! When they said it was inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy, they weren't kidding! We have dragons, owlbears, mimics, gelatinous cubes, quips, and more!

There was also a clip shown at San Diego Comic Con where the party cast speak with dead, and got to ask five questions. Also, apparently, the D&D cartoon characters from the 80s have a cameo!

Undrave

Legend
Looks fun, but man I hope this is not the final CGI, it looks terrible 😱
I swear, people are spoiled when it comes to CGI. I could show you an episode of DonBrothers and you'd burst into flames...
Others still remembering the old D&D films of the past and confusing this with them.
...What?! Like it's a sequel or remake of those terrible old movies?
Sure, but that still doesn’t explain why the river—which, decades after the disaster, is still shown on several recent maps (and in the still-active MMO) as flowing to the south of Castle Never—suddenly has started flowing to the castle’s north instead.
Nerd :p
Do you remember the stupid double bladed sword they added to the equipment list for 3rd edition? The double bladed sword that was only there because a certain Darth Maul wielded a double bladed lightsaber in The Phantom Menace? What are the odds that druids don't get the ability to shift into an owlbear form in the near future? I think we're going to see this in the game at some point in the future.
the easiest would be to classify the Owlbear as a Beast.

GreyLord

Legend
...What?! Like it's a sequel or remake of those terrible old movies?

Yes.

Some think it is a soft reboot of the series. Others are asking why it is being made if the others in the series didn't do so well. Some are wondering if you need to watch the others to understand this one...and so forth.

Remember, not everyone is a D&D fan or following how D&D flows and works.

Undrave

Legend
Yes.

Some think it is a soft reboot of the series. Others are asking why it is being made if the others in the series didn't do so well. Some are wondering if you need to watch the others to understand this one...and so forth.

Remember, not everyone is a D&D fan or following how D&D flows and works.
Yeah but most people know how movies work. Nothing of the marketing says it has anything to do with any other movies.

GreyLord

Legend
Yeah but most people know how movies work. Nothing of the marketing says it has anything to do with any other movies.

That may be, but this happens with a lot of movies that don't make the distinction that they are a completely separate thing than what came before.

Some movies even rely on it.

Similar things happened with the Ghostbusters reboot (prior to Afterlife), and other movies which are either reboots, soft reboots, or continuation. Unless you actually follow these lines and know what is happening (Which many do not) people just do not know what it is.

Undrave

Legend
That may be, but this happens with a lot of movies that don't make the distinction that they are a completely separate thing than what came before.

Some movies even rely on it.

Similar things happened with the Ghostbusters reboot (prior to Afterlife), and other movies which are either reboots, soft reboots, or continuation. Unless you actually follow these lines and know what is happening (Which many do not) people just do not know what it is.
Or how the Bumblebee movie was a reboot but they didn't want to full commit to calling it a reboot to not alienate fans of the Bayformers movies until the movie did well enough on its own.

If I was marketing this new movie, however, I'd try to get it out there as much as possible that it's unrelated the terrible old movies...

Honestly surprised anyone not into D&D would even remember those movies... they seem pretty forgettable.

Also speaking of that evil horn. Is it an existing piece of D&D lore?
Was that the Horn of Orcus that the Thay wizard had?
Probably the Horn of Eltab, canonically the demon lord Szass Tam tried to enslave, and famous for having a single big honking horn in the center of his head. Now, I wouldn't be surprised if they change Eltab to a more well known demon lord like Orcus, but all the pieces are there for a lore accurate and canon-adjacent plotline.

Last edited:

OB1

Jedi Master
Or how the Bumblebee movie was a reboot but they didn't want to full commit to calling it a reboot to not alienate fans of the Bayformers movies until the movie did well enough on its own.

If I was marketing this new movie, however, I'd try to get it out there as much as possible that it's unrelated the terrible old movies...

Honestly surprised anyone not into D&D would even remember those movies... they seem pretty forgettable.
Honestly, the only people I'd be worried about making the connection are uber D&D fans. It's been brought up constantly in discussion threads on the movie. But that trailer should be plenty to assuage any fears that this was going to have the same issues that old film did. I mean, we literally just saw 2 minutes of D&D the way we've been imagining it for decades.

Captain America faced a similar issue with the original Rodger Corman version (which coincidentally also came out about 20 years before the new one), and it didn't hurt that film.

Remove ads

Remove ads