Pathfinder 2E Here's The Official Pathfinder 2E Character Sheet

Paizo has posted both full-color and printer-friendly versions of the official character sheet for Pathfinder 2nd Edition!
Paizo has posted both full-color and printer-friendly versions of the official character sheet for Pathfinder 2nd Edition!

pf2echasheet1.jpg

pf2echasheet2.jpg

"Hero points" have been around for a while. A form was in the 3e Unearthed Arcana called "Action Points". They're in the 5E DMG. I want to say I remember using them even back in 2E but unsure if it was an official supplement or something from Dragon Magazine.
Yeah, I remember seeing them around in late 3E and 4E, and I remember hating them every time. I'm reading through Starfinder right now, because I thought it looked interesting, but they seem to have turned that into the central mechanic of the entire game.

I have enough to track, with just the actual resources that I can see and count in the game world. I don't want to track some metaphysical "other" resource on top of that. At least 5E had the decency to let DMs opt out of the whole system.

wakedown

Explorer
Yeah, I remember seeing them around in late 3E and 4E, and I remember hating them every time.

Ah, I wouldn't try to convince you otherwise but in the 3E era I've been using them with good results. In the last half-dozen or so 3E campaigns they are all essentially banked to "cheat death" when players fall in love with particular characters and Raise Dead is prohibitive. Cheat Death we handle in one of two ways, 2 points to be alive but unconscious or 1 point for a +8 to a recently failed roll.

As part of the agreement, GMs can give select BBEGs "Villain Points". These are typically employed if I'm running-as-written a printed module/AP and the BBEG would otherwise drop to a Slumber Hex or some sort of anti-climatic outcome.

At any rate, I've had good mileage using them as a pool of points to ensure narrative protection in the rocket-tag-esque 3E era of gaming. I imagine if you liked PF2E for all reasons except Hero Points, you could easily play without them. I know for one gamer, for example, the current presentation of the Champion/Paladin is a hard line deal-breaker which is a tough one to overcome unless the group agrees to a homebrew rewrite of the class.

We started off with the 5e starter set using the inspiration points. My players would forget they had them and well, we just eventually stopped using them all together. They're (my players) are pretty casual but if they go the extra mile and do something in character or have a very clever idea, I reward them with other things. I wouldn't get too hung up on it if it's a tacked on option. Not sure what I would do if it was a feature mechanic. We tend to stir away from the complicated so I doubt we ever run into that.

Koloth

First Post
If your only reason to avoid a game is Action Points, they are normally a easy mechanic to leave out. Played lots of games without them and lots with. The most common in groups I play with now is the one per session version. Easy enough to track.

I haven't seen anything in PF2 that encourages me to ditch my several hundred dollars worth of PF1 books and start over. Most of the folks I play with feel the same.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If your only reason to avoid a game is Action Points, they are normally a easy mechanic to leave out. Played lots of games without them and lots with. The most common in groups I play with now is the one per session version. Easy enough to track.

I haven't seen anything in PF2 that encourages me to ditch my several hundred dollars worth of PF1 books and start over. Most of the folks I play with feel the same.

Saelorn has been airing plenty of reservations on other points: kind of a last straw situation.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
It's not the color scheme that bothers me, it's the aberrant and gross-looking icons.

Having Hp be a heart, perception be a magnifying glass, and bulk be a bag (not to mention AC being the silhouette of half-plate) is not (to me) at all aesthetically appealing.

On the other hand, the sheet seems rather well-organized, and that's all that really matters.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It's not the color scheme that bothers me, it's the aberrant and gross-looking icons.

Having Hp be a heart, perception be a magnifying glass, and bulk be a bag (not to mention AC being the silhouette of half-plate) is not (to me) at all aesthetically appealing.

On the other hand, the sheet seems rather well-organized, and that's all that really matters.

It is efficient enough, for what it has to show. All I can think of while looking at it, is how intimidating most of the people I know find the 5E character sheet, and how hard they have to work to use it. And that is way less busy.

Puggins

Explorer
The training boxes everywhere are godawful. This reminds me of when software companies put out brilliant software packages wrapped in a UI slapped on by the developers. Not everyone is in sync with your thought process, guys.

This definitely won’t help sell the game, and it might be the first piece of paper a new player looks at.

Remove ads

Remove ads