Critical Role Here's The Official Wildemount Announcement!

After the various leaks over the weekend from Amazon and Barnes & Noble, the official announcement has just dropped! It's a different description to the one on Amazon, and contains a little bit more information about the contents of the upcoming setting book, which includes four introductory adventures!

9780786966912_p0_v2_s600x595.jpg

Create your own Critical Role campaigns with this sourcebook for the world's greatest roleplaying game!

Explorer’s Guide to Wildemount
provides everything you need to play Dungeons & Dragons on the continent of Wildemount (set within the world of Exandria)—a land of war, betrayal, and swashbuckling adventure.

Comprised of four regions, Wildemount provides endless potential for adventure in a land of brewing conflict and incredible magic. Rising tensions boil over into all-out war between the politically dubious Dwendalian Empire and the light-worshiping wastefolk of Xhorhas, supplying a vibrant backdrop for any D&D campaign to explore.
  • Uncover a trove of new options usable in any D&D game, featuring subclasses, spells, magic items, monsters, and more, rooted in the adventures of Critical Role—such as Vestiges of Divergence and the possibility manipulating magic of dunamancy.
  • Start a campaign in any of Wildemount’s regions using a variety of introductory adventures, dozens of regional plot seeds, and the heroic chronicle system—a way to create character backstories rooted in Wildemount.
  • Explore every corner of Wildemount and discover mysteries revealed for the first time by Critical Role Dungeon Master, Matthew Mercer.
WHERE CAN I BUY IT?
Pre-order at your local game store, book stores such as Barnes & Noble, or online at retailers like Amazon.

ITEM DETAILS
Price: $49.95
Release Date: 17 March, 2020
This book’s contents include the following:
  • An expansive Wildemount gazetteer.
  • Descriptions of the major factions of Wildemount.
  • Player options that include new subclasses, new spells, and a tool to help players deeply integrate their characters into the setting.
  • New magic items, including weapons that become more powerful to match their wielders.
  • New creatures native to Wildemount.
  • Four introductory adventures—one for each unique region of Wildemount.
Largely written and helmed by Matthew Mercer, the Dungeon Master of Critical Role and creator of the world of Exandria, this 304-page book features work by talented designers, writers, and artists from the D&D and Critical Role communities.
Explorer's Guide to Wildemount is an expansive, vivid campaign setting anyone can enjoy regardless of their familiarity with Critical Role, and an open invitation to make the mysteries and dangers of Wildemount your own.

--

This also dropped in my inbox, with a couple of quotes from those involved, such as Matt Mercer and WotC's Nathan Stewart:

RENTON, WA – January 13, 2020 – When Critical Role debuted in March 2015, no one predicted the success of a Dungeons & Dragons liveplay show starring prominent voice actors. Not only has the show inspired a vast fan community of “Critters” to create fan art, cosplay, and even musicals based on Critical Role’s adventures, but the stories crafted by Matthew Mercer and his friends have encouraged droves of new players to try D&D for the first time. The D&D Team at Wizards of the Coast is excited to officially collaborate with Mercer by publishing a brand new tabletop roleplaying book detailing the continent explored in the second campaign ofCritical Role, complete with player options such as subclasses, magic items, and more. Explorer’s Guide to Wildemount will be available in stores everywhere on March 17, 2020!

Critical Role is a great example of why Dungeons & Dragons has been popular for over 45 years: a group of friends getting together, telling stories, and making each other laugh. In this case, the friends are talented performers playing live on camera, but the fun’s the same. We’re thrilled D&D fans and Critters alike can now enjoy playing in Matt’s world, as brought to fifth edition in this lovingly-crafted book,” said Nathan Stewart, VP of Franchise for Dungeons & Dragons.

“I'm sincerely so honored and excited to be working directly with Chris Perkins and this team of talented D&D writers and designers to bring this book to not just our community, but to D&D players everywhere,” said Matthew Mercer, Chief Creative Officer and Dungeon Master of Critical Role, as well as lead writer on the guide. “Dungeons & Dragons has had such a massive, positive impact on nearly my entire life, and I am ever inspired by the endless creativity I see it spark in so many others across the world. To have been able to work with Wizards of the Coast to bring my world to life as an official campaign book is nothing short of surreal. I can't wait to see what other DMs and players create within my world to make it their own!”

The 304-page Explorer’s Guide to Wildemount invites DMs to start playing in any of Wildemount’s regions using introductory adventures, dozens of story-inspiring plot seeds, and the new heroic chronicle system. Adventurers can also expect to discover countless secrets revealed by Critical Role Dungeon Master Matthew Mercer for the first time. Players and DMs will find new character options available for play in any campaign, like the Echo Knight fighter subclass, spells of dunamancy, numerous new monsters, and more!

Last edited:

teitan

Legend
Wasnt this already done in 13th Age? Sounds very similar iirc.

Well it isn't a new concept, some variation of it has been in every edition via Dragon Mag or supplements. I distinctly recall a 3e era Dragon article on the concept and how magic items would gain XP with the player.

teitan

Legend
I wonder if one of the subclass will be that Ocean themed (Kraken?) Warlock I heard about?

Actually sounds pretty cool. Even if it's more Magic Fighters :p

Fjord is a Hexblade Warlock. Pact of the Blade. Nothing special, his patron is Uk'otoa

So it wasn't some special new class. He was just a patron.

teitan

Legend
2003, 3 years in. Forgotten Realms got serious support, Greyhawk and Planescape got...something...and Dragonlance, Ravenloft and maybe another had been licensed out.

FR got updated. Greyhawk had a sourcebook. Planescape got jack all. Dragonlance was released. Also Ghostwalk. Ravenloft was released by White Wolf. Dragonlance received continued support from Margaret Weis Productions. It was pretty much just FR and Eberron through 3.5 from WOTC.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
While I understand the reasoning behind your question, pre-ordering from Amazon only brings advantages without any downsides at all. I might even say it's silly NOT to pre-order.
My leg as deep into the video game side of thing as it is, pre-ordering still makes me very, very, VERY hesitant given the issues that's all come up with in the past few years, but, well, different genre.

I've come up with a hilariously dark realisation though: Critical Role is this decade's Dragonlance. Popular story turned official setting.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
While I understand the reasoning behind your question, pre-ordering from Amazon only brings advantages without any downsides at all. I might even say it's silly NOT to pre-order. Just like @realmprotector, I also had the book pre-ordered since it was up, and now that it is revealed, I also don't know yet if this book is for me. I still haven't cancelled my preorder, but I might... I have until March to decide.

The very best thing is that Amazon has pre-order lower price guarantee. The book is $34 right now, but since I pre-ordered early on, it's only $29 for me as the price dropped to this value at some point after I pre-ordered.
I see. So the point of coming onto ENWorld to let everyone know they've cancelled their pre-order is to send a message to WotC stating "Hey... I'm not going to give the very least amount of discounted money possible to just ANY product... only to the ones I care about!" I'm sure WotC will take that view into account when deciding on products to make in the future. ;)

realmprotector

Explorer
If you had no idea that this book was not going to be for you... why the heck did you pre-order it in the first place?

amazon preorder is less money when you first order an item like this before the announcement. It’s all about saving money. If you want to pay more that’s great but I don’t.

Reynard

Legend
My leg as deep into the video game side of thing as it is, pre-ordering still makes me very, very, VERY hesitant given the issues that's all come up with in the past few years, but, well, different genre.

I've come up with a hilariously dark realisation though: Critical Role is this decade's Dragonlance. Popular story turned official setting.
That's not at all what Dragonlance was. Dragonlance was produced in house as a campaign setting meant to highlight dragons, and during the playtest process they realized it would make some pretty good novels, too. Then it took off like a rocket and became a primarily fiction line.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases