History of the World, Part 2- It's Real, and It's Spectacular

Too much unneeded bad language ruined several of the bits. Also, Mel Brooks acting in Part 1 is what made it a fun movie. And my partner, who loves everything Mel Brooks, thought the first two episodes were very poor and disappointing.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Oy gevalt!

I finished the series this morning. Definitely a roller coaster in quality. They’re already teasing a series 2. Maybe we’ll get lucky and it’ll be another 41 years before that happens. Hopefully by then the Mel Brooks AI bots will have been perfected.

My palate cleanser…

C55E6DDA-493D-49E6-9215-CC1F3A849861.jpeg

I chuckled a few times.

And a straight up %#%# you from Poland.

I find that a lot of Brooks movie are more fun to talk about than they are to watch. The last time I watched History of the World Part I, the only part I really liked was The Inquisition.
To be fair, History of the World was one of his weaker films. It wasn't near the quality of The Producers, Spaceballs, Young Frankenstein, Dracula Dead and Loving It, or Blazing Saddles

I just watched all of this and it is better than the original. In retrospect I think it works because it was spun off of one of Mel's weaker films. If it was a Spaceballs, Young Frankenstein, or Blazing Saddles spinoff it would have been a much higher bar and possibly one that couldn't be cleared. Also the sketch comedy/anthology format makes it easier for them to come up with bits. The only other Brooksfilms that lend themselves to an anthology format would The Producers (where each sketch could be framed as a different questionable play) or combining Young Frankenstein, Dracula Dead & Loving It and High Anxiety as an excuse to do a generic horror comedy anthology

Remove ads