• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hits with extra effects

Slaved

First Post
Ok, so called shots have been done so many times there is likely nothing new to be said here, but I was thinking about something and decided to write it down.

Read and comment as you like. :D

Hits With Extra Effects
General Rule
Whenever any character hits another character with a weapon (or weapon like) they generate one point of Extra Effect versus that creature.
Any character may voluntarily take a penalty to all of their attack rolls at the beginning of their round and lasting until the beginning of their next round. This penalty may not be greater than their total hit dice. Any attacks that hit generate Extra Effect of 1 plus the penalty taken.

To use this Extra Effect at the start of a characters turn they must declare its use and the desired effect. This reduces their pool of Extra Effect by the amount of hit dice of the target. If there is insufficient Extra Effect in the pool then that character takes a -1 penalty on all attack rolls for the round, loses 1 Extra Effect point, and gains no benefits from this ability.

Extra effects include
Target Dazzled for 2 rounds per successful hit this round as you strike them in a dissorienting spot, perhaps a blow to the head. If this ability is used two rounds in a row then every two rounds of dazzled above 10 the target is instead dazed for one round.

Make a full round action single attack against a single foe that, if successful, causes them to become one of your choice of Blinded for 2 rounds, Deafened for 4 rounds, Confused for 1 round, Entangled for 2 rounds, Fatigued for 2 rounds, Flat-footed for 1 round, Shaken for 1 round, or Sickened for 1 round. You may choose to double the duration of the effect you choose if you gain the same penalty for the same length of time as your foe.

Any of these effects should be described in an egregious manner, even if it is not realistic. The point is to have fun with it while allowing something extra for certain types of character types. This should preferentially work for characters weilding two weapons.

Feats
Master of Extra Effects
Prerequisites: two weapon fighting
All of your hits generate 1 extra point of Extra Effect as long as you take at least 1 point of penalty to your attack rolls through the Extra Effect rule.
In addition, when you down a foe you may immediately transfer half, rounded down, of the Extra Effect points from that foe to any other foe you have at least 1 Extra Effect point on.

I am not sure I followed all of that... pools of 'Extra Effect' ?
Nevermind.. I think I figured it out. Each enemy has its own pool of points that are built up by successfull attacks. Once you have built up enough you can 'trade' them for an effect.

Sounds like a lot of book-keeping, especially with a party of tanks against a mob of mooks..

"This should preferentially work for characters weilding two weapons."
Eh, unless you are designing this for a specific character you plan on using... well, even then this comment is a bit weird....

Anyway, I would suggest a change and go with something like the following:

Called Shot, Standard Action, AoO Yes
Make a melee or ranged attack. If successful the attack does not deal damage, instead it applies a Condition to the target. The intended condition must be chosen before the attack roll. Note, the attack would have had to be able to deal at least one point of damage in order for the Condition to be applied.

Called Shots , Full Round Action, AoO Yes
As Called Shot but you gain a +2 to hit for each additional attack you would normally have in a Full Attack.

Conditions:
Minor effect: no penalty to the attack roll
Dazed for 1 round
Dazzled for 1 round
Checked for 1 round
Deafened for 1 round
Target considered Flanked for the next melee attacker, expires if no attack within 1 round

Moderate effects: -4 penalty to the attack roll
Minor effects for double duration
Blinded for 1 round
Entangled for 1 round
Knocked Prone

Severe effects: -8 penalty to the attack roll
Moderate effects for double duration
Knocked Prone
Stunned for 1 round
Staggered for 1 round

Horrendus effects: -12 penalty to the attack roll
Severe effects for double duration
Unconcious for 1 round

Feat options to extend the duration of the applied condition or decrease the penatly of the condition severity...

... hmm.. I might have to use this :)

Remove ads