• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Horizon Walker... Is this broken?

Kisanji Arael

First Post
My immediate instinct upon reading Horizon Walker was that it was the most broken thing I'd ever seen (and keep in mind, I'd just finished reading the beastmaster, so the bar is probably a little high) and my next instinct was ...oh God, and I'm only on page 65. Look at this:

Wanderer’s Action (11th Level): When you spend an action point to take a move action, you gain an action point after taking that action.

Also known as DOUBLE MOVE EVERY TURN. And the other powers aren't bad either: darkvision, bonus to death saving throws, teleporting encounter power & two decent attack powers. Oh, and most powers get bonuses depending on which plane you're on, set up so that by level 20, you get at least one bonus everywhere.

Zsig

Explorer
Also known as DOUBLE MOVE EVERY TURN.

Except that there's a limit of action points you can use per encounter.

...And that's where that Epic Destiny (Warmaster IIRC) comes into play screwing it all up...

I haven't seen the rest of the Horizon Walker, people usually only talk about that one feature, but if it wasn't for the combo with the Warmaster I think it would be ok.

themilkman

First Post
Remember that you can only use one action point per encounter.

EDIT: Damn, not even close. At any rate, IMO, Horizon Walker is a pretty lame PP. Always liked the concept, but it never seemed that mechanically useful.

Last edited:

Incendax

First Post
Horizon Walker is actually underpowered unless your base class is a Warlord. (Great synergy with Commanding Presence) You only get one additional move action each encounter, since you can normally only spend one action point per encounter.

The 11th level ability is definitely worded poorly, though. It should have said that you could only do it once per encounter, or that you get the action point back at the end of the encounter. It is only because the way it is worded that it goes batshit crazy with Warmaster 30.

BuffySummers

First Post
We fixed the problem as follows hence making everyone happy:

Wanderer’s Action (11th Level):
When you
spend an action point to take an extra action, you can make
a move action as a free action before or after taking the extra action.

DracoSuave

First Post
And level 30 epic stuff is -allowed- to be batshit insane. That's endgame. Go kill Orcus or something, and get. Er. Done.

It's not like you're going to then go to level 40.

Until then, you're spending AP on a move action. That's not exactly exciting time. All it means is you'll get a free move every other fight, in practice. Not a terribly exciting use.

Tai

First Post
One thought that does spring to mind is that there are a lot of feats and abilities that run off spending an action point, particularly if you have a Warlord in the party. It's not a huge deal, but you could get a bunch of hitpoints back and such. Plus there're things like Martial Mastery or Action Recovery kicking around as well... And if you have a minor action attack handy you can use Slaying Action or Predatory Action to get some extra damage out. I'm not saying it's necessarily worthwhile, but there are certainly options out there.

Remove ads