D&D 5E House Rules for Two Players

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
D&D 5e can handle small groups without house rules. The DM just needs to be on top of it and players need to create characters with that in mind. But, especially with novice players, that doesn't mean that there isn't room for house rules that help recalibrate assumptions on such a party-focused game as 5e to fewer characters.

That said, has anyone implemented any house rules specifically for small group sizes and how did they go? For example, bonus skill learned to have more covered by the party. Or change to multiclassing rules to cover more niches (not that 5e requires them).

I'd especially like to hear about rules you put in play, and if they worked or didn't. Theory-crafting is fine, don't feel like your contribution won't be valued. But I'd love to hear how things actually went. And that includes a "I wish I had implemented a rule about X".

Thanks!

EDIT: 5e can handle two person parties without house rules. I know. Really. REALLY REALLY. I know. You don't need to post it. Again. What I am asking about is if anyone has house rules for small groups. Not because I don't think 5e can handle it without house rules. But for the same reason when a new book comes out we look at the subclasses and suck. Not because you can't run a campaign with the core books, but to see what new and interesting ideas are out there.

So really, I'm looking for house rules, preferably played, for small, novice parties. I don't need advice how to run for small parties. I don't need "enlightenment" that small parties can be run without changing rules.

Last edited:

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
We'll, we've done things that work well.

Old-school style MCing is good. With two PCs you can cover 4-6 classes. The broader range of class features is great, and since you still have the same action economy it isn't really OP for more games to start with. Now, once you get into the 100000 XP range, you can start to run into some powerful synergies. Overall, it works well IMO and can help balance things out by allow more of what the group might need at any given time.

Oofta

Legend
I've done it in the past, about the only house rule I'd consider is making drinking a potion is a bonus action.

But primarily I've just tailored the encounters and challenges to the players.

Laurefindel

Legend
Scaling down the opposition for two players isn't an issue. The issue i experienced is that when 1 character drops to 0%, the group is amputated of 50% of its power, and the burden of bringing them back up relies on 100% of the remaining members (member, really). Casualties are really debilitating.

Experienced player might find it an interesting challenge but for new players, I'd suggest that they come back to 1hp on a successful death save, and allow them to take the disengage action right away. Redefine 0hp more as a "stunned" or "defeated" condition. Maybe allow them to spend HD on the spot if they roll 20 on their Death save?

There are plenty of possible variations of this rule; coming up to 1 hp (without a 20) cost you a failure on death save, forget death save and use exhaustion instead, attacks made after coming back up to 1 hp are made with disadvantage (encouraging retreat).

Watch for the potential pitfall of PC coming back to 1hp and quickly reduced to 0 on following turn, then up again and downed again etc.

Remove ads