D&D 5E House Rules for Two Players

NotAYakk

Legend
If you like roleplaying and not just tactics, having 2 PCs is really hard to roleplay. I'd advise against that.

I also generally advise against a DMPC. DMing is hard enough without splitting your ego in half.

Sidekicks are a decent plan. That is different than a DMPC or a 2nd PC, as the sidekick is definitely a supporting character. Players can control the sidekick 90%+ of the time, and know that they aren't "their character".

Animal companions/mounts make good sidekicks on many kinds of adventures. They are quiet, don't talk, and loyal to a specific person. Just ensure they aren't ridiculously stronger in combat than the players are. ;) Or something like a pixie friend.

Having one DMPC isn't that difficult. Having two is. I was really glad when my kids could start picking up more than one character.

As far as roleplaying multiple characters, DMs do it all the time. As soon as they get the hang of announcing who is doing the talking/decision making things work out fine.

Honestly, having a sidekick would have the exact same roleplaying issues if played correctly.

Oofta

Legend
If you're really worried about it and don't want to add another PC you could always give them a pet. Just make sure he's under the effect of a permanent sanctuary spell. :)

download (6).jpg

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
If you like roleplaying and not just tactics, having 2 PCs is really hard to roleplay. I'd advise against that.

<snip>

Sidekicks are a decent plan. That is different than a DMPC or a 2nd PC, as the sidekick is definitely a supporting character. Players can control the sidekick 90%+ of the time, and know that they aren't "their character".

I've run campaigns where the players had 2 PCs each - one of which was designated primary and which they'd do most of their role playing through. The other would be kind of a sidekick and be a role play focus in a more secondary fashion. One of my players, however, had some interesting fun with then as one of his PCs foiled the other's attempt to nobly sacrifice himself in a really entertaining bit of role playing. Admittedly, he's a highly experienced player - he just knew that one of his PCs would act a particular way and the other would react contrary to that based on their personalities so he ran with it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases